Formula 1 (2018 Chat Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see Ric take the win.

I think it did the RedBull team a blessing, Max starting from the back, could have been messy if Max was P 2 knowing Ric had a problem??

Reactions: Ozmosis
I think you're probably right @Ghost, I don't think the very first corner would have been pleasant!

I noticed Horner being blunt with Max late on over the radio "Keep it clean!"...

Danny did well under the circumstances, good to see him on the top step.

Reactions: Ghost and Sandra
Always good to see Ricciardo win! He would probably be the most universally loved world champion if he somehow pulls it off!

Reactions: Sandra, Ghost, Ozmosis and 1 other person
I think Max lost a lot of fans today, and I don’t think his sponsors will be happy listening to this press conference ...

“Max why do you have so many accidents?”

Max: “I don’t know. Like I said at the start of this press conferenceI get really tired of the questions, I think if I get a few more I will headbutt someone.”

I think Max lost a lot of fans today, and I don’t think his sponsors will be happy listening to this press conference ...

“Max why do you have so many accidents?”

Max: “I don’t know. Like I said at the start of this press conferenceI get really tired of the questions, I think if I get a few more I will headbutt someone.”

i dont blame max for that he make mistake just like the rest but does seem to get more hassle from the press about them

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 season!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/formula1/44530950

:blink: :shrug:

Yup... Torro Rosso said that the recent upgrade is better than expected so... How they will fair next year is to be seen. Honda have since come out and said they will NOT be a full "works" team, and that the initial target is for Red Bull to not be in a worse position than this year. Hmmm...

I'm now expecting Ricciardo to be at another team next year, with Gasly promoted.

Reactions: Ghost and Sandra
Managed to watch 22 hours of Le Mans over the weekend, plus several hours of pre and post race coverage.

For me F1 doesn't come close...

Seb

Reactions: Ozmosis and Ghost
I watched around 8 hours and agree. No comparison to f1 really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
I watched some of the LeMans coverage, Crazy accident in the first corners on the first lap, Not quite understanding that. Missed the fight between Audi, Toyota and Porsche. Toyota were racing against the track and unreliability there wasn't any other car that was near them on outright sustained pace. Couldn't believe that Makowiecki didn't pick up a penalty for all that dodgy driving, any more weaving and he would have had half a jumper made . And running people off the track is not on really. He didn't have to do what he was doing the Porsche had the legs on the Ford on the straights he could just drag back past him.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/makowiecki-bourdais-battle-for-second-in-gte-pro/
I think Alonso was always going to be in the winning car as long as it was close at the end too good a news story for Toyota to let that one go. Feel really sorry for Anthony Davidson having to move over though for Alonso, I wonder what he was thinking when they took the chequered flag.
Not a good race for some of the ex F1 drivers, Di Resta had a nasty shunt after making a mistake and Button was in the car driving when the engine gave up. He is used to that though.
I can see Alonso leaving F1 if Mclaren don't get the car sorted by the end of the year. He will be concentrating on the triple, and I am sure he would much more enjoy the possibility of actually winning a race in America.
I can't actually see Honda catching up with Mercedes and Ferrari on engine power and reliability though. They are just too far behind.
Probably works out better financially for Red Bull so they can afford a big pay rise for the drivers to try and hold onto them.

Reactions: Ghost and 45bvtc
I guess Red Bull are hoping the new engines coming in 2021 will give Honda a chance to get up with the others... Big gamble though.

I also watched a lot of Le Mans, around 16 hours of it. GT class was great to watch, just a shame about too many penalties post race. LMP2 "winners" tampering with the fuel rigs to gain around 8 secs per pit stop? A bit naughty...!

Reactions: Ghost and slepy
French Grand Prix...
The racing line crossing the pit exit looks dangerous? :scared2:

Don’t like all the blue and red lines that make up the run-off area!

But .. Looks like a good circuit for some overtaking :icon thumright: :racer:

The Blue and Red run off areas make it very easy to identify the circuit, you see those and you know it's Paul Ricard.
I think this circuit was one of the first to scrap traditional gravel traps and replace them with tarmac run offs, so the red and blue defines the run off areas, It's not part of the normal track.
I wonder if they will enforce track limits a little more rigidly than they usually do as I am sure some people will probably be taking liberties when they can.
Maybe they should turn the sprinkler system on for a random 10 minute slot just to spice up the racing a little. I think that may have been in Bernies mind if he was still in charge.
https://sidepodcast.com/f1-circuit/paul-ricard

Easily the best race of the year :racer:

Reactions: 45bvtc and Ozmosis
Really? Might watch catch up then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily the biggest GRUMP of the year at the end of it...
6349.gif

In fact from the very first lap. Cringe-worthy...

Note that Kimi accepted the penalty and just got on with it!

Was a great scrap at the end, especially Kimi vs Max after the first safety car ended. Seb pulled a nice move on Valterri too, very Danny Ric-Esque...

Spoilt little kid is all I can say

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mrs Kimi went a tad further, Martin:

Upload 2018 7 10 11 16 46

I can see handbags being thrown in Germany....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost, Sandra, Ozmosis and 1 other person
Maybe they should turn the sprinkler system on for a random 10 minute slot just to spice up the racing a little. I think that may have been in Bernies mind if he was still in charge.
https://sidepodcast.com/f1-circuit/paul-ricard

I propose that every team with 2-cars outside of the top ten starting grid be given a 150-gallon (age showing) water bowser to deploy anywhere 'on' the circuit (aim at the circuit and not at a driver, although :sob:) as an when they deem appropriate... :racer:

Reactions: Ghost, Ozmosis, martin1984 and 2 others
Thinking out loud here, and just for fun... :whistle2:

What thoughts have you guys on Mercedes James Allison's words post Silverstone: 'do you think it is deliberate or incompetence?' to which others in the team at first agreed and repeated and then, as is usual, disagreed and/or withdrew previously tweeted words, tsk.

I have to say, I did not agree with either of the Ferrari penalties at the start of the last 2-grand prix. Why? On both occasions:

1) The lead car scampered away; Hamilton at Paul Ricard and Sebastian at Silverstone, both clear of the 2nd and 3rd car.

2) The second place car on both occasions was under threat; or sure Sebastian had been alongside/inside Bottas at Paul Ricard, and Kimi had been alongside/inside Hamilton at Silverstone.

3) On both occasions a/the Mercedes (Hamilton/Bottas) swept from the far side of the track across to the nearside/apex of the corner, and connected with a/the Ferrari running along/inside.

I'm not saying the Mercedes drivers are/were aggressive - it is a race after all - but for sure I'd put them both down as racing incidents, at most.

Maybe James Alison (Ferrari 2000 to 2005 and again at Ferrari 2013 to 2016) had a guilty conscience when he claimed Ferrari 'done it deliberate', maybe James knows something we don't about start line/first corner(s) tactics - both times a Mercedes car came out disadvantaged but with penalties afforded to a Ferrari.

:blownose:

Im gonna agree i think they were just racing incidents and nothing more
And the suggest that the 2 Mercedes and 2 Ferraris have both had incidents well it's not like theres gonna be a force Indian or McLaren car in the first 4 cars to the first corner.
Mercedes are just losing there edge now more than ever and they don't now how to come back other than make stupid comments.

The Mercedes drivers have been caught out with poor starts the last few races. Either that or the Ferrari's have had blinders.

In both incidents, the Ferrari drivers were trying to take advantage of the Mercs being slower. From what I saw, both attempted to make clean passes but the Mercs cut across, MAYBE just leaving enough space but an ever-closing gap. The Ferrari's tried not to make contact, Vettel locked up and Raikonnen had massive understeer.

As for the suggestion of foul play, I cannot see it. Why risk the chance of taking out your own team, bearing in mind Ferrari want the Constructors title...

To be fair I think Vettel' s 5 second penalty was just about justifiable, due to the fact that that particular corner was not such a natural overtaking point.

Raikonnen was trying to outbrake a car he had a run on. Should not have been a penalty in my opinion.

Reactions: Ghost and martin1984
From what I saw, both attempted to make clean passes but the Mercs cut across, MAYBE just leaving enough space but an ever-closing gap. The Ferrari's tried not to make contact, Vettel locked up and Raikonnen had massive understeer.

Jeeeeeeze Ozmosis and Martin1984, sooooooo H A PP Y it ain't just me..
6651.gif

OK, so it ain't Easter, but I'll bet Monaco-tax-exile-UK-flag-flying-'0' £s tax payin'/avoidin'-please-make-me-a-Sir-handbag-throwin' residents don't know that...:yahoo:

To be fair I think Vettel' s 5 second penalty was just about justifiable, due to the fact that that particular corner was not such a natural overtaking point.

But pre-race Paul Ricard, on the softer 4-metre gaining tyres Seb was on, it was well predicted Seb would have Valterri at turn #1; so did Valterri just 'chop' 'im off, and then blame the other guy? I would have! Wouldn't you? Or is that just way too professional?

So, my "Thinking out loud here, and just for fun... :whistle2: " point is, are we ALL missing something here
7072.gif

For both Mercedes and Ferrari the Constructors Championship is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than the (piddling (a technical term)) Drivers Championship, catch my drift...

Reactions: martin1984 and Ozmosis
I see what you're saying about being chopped off, but surely Vettel should have seen it coming a little sooner, as he was not directly side by side with the Bottas at that point...

Of course the teams want the Constructors, that's where the big bucks come from. The driver's championship is more for us spectators!

I see what you're saying about being chopped off, but surely Vettel should have seen it coming a little sooner, as he was not directly side by side with the Bottas at that point...

Of course the teams want the Constructors, that's where the big bucks come from. The driver's championship is more for us spectators!

I think few of us fully appreciate what happens in an F1 car at 180mph - and that's where both Sebastian and Hamilton have supported each other in recent press confrontations: analysers may need to be more reserved.

An Audi RS3 may be quick of the mark but for sure not as quick as a Ferrari SF71H.

Yep totally agree, split second decisions surrounded by other cars, all with drivers trying to make the same decisions. Often within inches of each other.

And all with Grosjean in the vicinity... LOL

Reactions: 45bvtc and desertstorm
Just watching the SKY/Hamilton/SKY/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton/Hamilton German F1 pre-race coverage:

6351.gif

Reactions: Ghost
*Bangs hands on steering wheel repeatedly*

"F@#* sake... F!#£ sake.... S^%$...!" A costly error... Shame as I wanted him to win really.

F1 fix hamilton out at home vettle wins
Vettle at home out hamilton wins keeps views hooked
Also would lets say max get let of for entering pit lane then changimg bk to track ?

F1 fix hamilton out at home vettle wins
Vettle at home out hamilton wins keeps views hooked
Also would lets say max get let of for entering pit lane then changimg bk to track ?

Watching Vettel in the car I don't think it can be called a fix! He was cheesed that the team didn't let him passed Kimi earlier and was pushing like mad, probably even angrily.

If you read Charlie Whiting's explanation for only getting a reprimand it seems that is a grey area. There's nothing specifically in the rule book about aborting a pit attempt. I'm expecting some tweak to the rules to cover it from next season. He surely should have just driven through the pit lane...

Reactions: Ghost, martin1984 and 45bvtc
Watching Vettel in the car I don't think it can be called a fix! He was cheesed that the team didn't let him passed Kimi earlier and was pushing like mad, probably even angrily.

If you read Charlie Whiting's explanation for only getting a reprimand it seems that is a grey area. There's nothing specifically in the rule book about aborting a pit attempt. I'm expecting some tweak to the rules to cover it from next season. He surely should have just driven through the pit lane...
Im not saying its is fixed just some things that happen start to raise question in my head.
Also i get Hamilton is a great driver but the hype of coming from the back is too much when most the other cars just let him past with no hold up and the fact that the car is so much faster.

Reactions: 45bvtc, Ozmosis and Sandra
Im not saying its is fixed just some things that happen start to raise question in my head.
Also i get Hamilton is a great driver but the hype of coming from the back is too much when most the other cars just let him past with no hold up and the fact that the car is so much faster.

Yeah I know what you're saying, it's the hype that gets on everyone's nerves LOL

I was really surprised when Alonso just moved over for him too... Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah I know what you're saying, it's the hype that gets on everyone's nerves LOL

I was really surprised when Alonso just moved over for him too... Wasn't expecting that.

The interest for me is at his ease of overtake of other Mercedes powered cars - in a straight line - with "the same" engine; I'd like to see 'em all rolling road tested at the end of a GP 'cos I don't believe it.

Me thinks Mercedes tell porkies, like in today's headline in The Times:

No team Orders

Reactions: Ozmosis and martin1984
Well Toto did say he they would have done the same if Bottas had been in front....

Hmmmmmm....

Well Toto did say he they would have done the same if Bottas had been in front....

Hmmmmmm....

6819.gif

Now if ToTo had said they'd run out of Kleenex I would have found that more credible...
9.gif

Reactions: Ozmosis and martin1984
Status
Not open for further replies.