Playing on the snow and ESP

Candell

Reaction score
Yesterday was the first time we have had 'proper' snow since having the B9, lots of slush and ice but not real snow.

Despite being on summer tyres (I'm in a great position in that if the weather is bad, I don't go out so without getting in to the tyre debate again, I just leave summers on) and living at the top of a hill, I couldn't resist a play yesterday.

As with all previous cars, I turned ESP off, but the button doesn't seem to turn it off fully. When losing traction, power died to stop the wheels spinning and / or brakes were being applied as the car was juddery getting up inclines. I pulled over for a quick google and found that long pressing the ESP button fully turns it off, but that didn't make any difference for me.

Has anyone managed to fully turn it off?

I managed to get back home, got scared though as there were cars abandoned regularly and several walls down that were up the day before so the fun changed to a '#### I need to get home in one piece' feeling.

When I get the ESC OFF versus Sport it seems fairly off. Enough that when I did a launch it spun all four wheels and bounced off the limiter in 1st and 2nd gear! I think that there's still an element of stability control though as I feel like sometimes the ABS is working to bring the car into line where the front wheels are pointing.

I've found if you want to do donuts you actually have to keep the front wheels pointing in the direction of the skid, rather than counter steering to hold a drift like you'd intuitively do...