S3 Incoming...

JonnyS3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all. As per the thread title, heading down south on Friday to see a car and likely do a deal on an S3 (64 plate, Mythos black, And a spec i am happy with)

Moving up from a 57 plate Clio 1.2 with 80k miles on it so I suspect i will like the drive home.

The car has full Audi service history but is there any obvious things i should be looking for ? With a smidge over 30k miles, how many services should i be looking for ? A running in service and 3 other services ?

And just any tell tale signs to look for would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jonny

Ps i did try and search for this kind of thread but either my search terms were awful or i just wasn’t looking hard enough.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Call Audi spec check helpline with the reg to find out what its had in the Audi main dealer system, they can tell you the extra options and the services. Its same number as customer services. 0800 699 888

Obviously HPI the car, check the vin, reg doc number on V5 and the mileage on the car against the HPI

How many owners ? Will also be on the HPI, more than 2 or 3 might make it a bit more difficult to sell on unless you keep it a while.

If its not an Audi approved car then you wont get a years warranty, but you can buy an Audi one if you want, you can check to see how much that would be before you buy it.

I'd check its not been modified, check the paintwork, body panels etc very closely, even if it was at an Audi main dealer.

Check the tyres, if they need replacing factor in £400

Check your insurance

Mythos black is a good colour

Reactions: JonnyS3
At 30k at 3 years old it should be on fixed servicing regime, so have had 3 services plus mot at the most recent service. Or it could be coming up to the third service and mot - depends when it was registered of course.
It may have been left on a flexible schedule, in which case it may have had only one. But with that mileage it should be annual.
Unless it's just had an mot and service you should get them to do it.

Above advice is good.

USED CAR CHECK

All the usual checks apply when buying a used/ cherished secand hand car. Check Coolant levels and Oil levels especially on the S3. Some cars have had issues with these two points.

Coolant should be between the min and max lines. If its above the max on a cold engine the owner might have had issues previously and this is the first thing Audi advise to do. Ie overfill. There is a fix for this now (apparently) from Audi but depends if car still has warranty. Some of the early cars are now out of warranty unless extended..(.63 /14/64 and soon 15 plate etc ).

Oil usage. Some cars like to sip oil, this is nothing to worry about necessarily but just be aware. Oil should be clean

Ask the owner about these two points especially.

The DSG should be smooth in all modes and aggresive in Dynamic. It might be a little lumpy for 2 mins until oil is upto temp but otherwise it should be perfect.

Engine/Turbo rattle/rustle. You may notice a slight rustle noise when the car is under light load. This is normal, Golf R and S3 and even 1.8 and standard 2.0 TFSI turbo engines emit this noise. Audi still working on a poential fix. But this is nothing to worry about.

Turbo - There was a batch of turbos which did have more chance of blowing. Manufacturing default etc. Do a forum search for numbers etc. Sorry I cant recall further info. But at 30k hopefully its all good by now. They tended to go pop pretty quick / early in life.

Service- S3 should be serviced yearly really or atleast have oil changed. Some cars were put on long life. So double check intervals and whats been done. Shorter more regular obviously better.

Other servicable items - Haldex / Auto DSG box service etc. Audi dont actually recommend a service on either of these two components until later in the cars life. However it would show good prevantative maintenance if atleast the Haldex oil was changed. Its one area that can causee potential issues on the 4WD Haldex system and people on the forum are looking at shorter service intervals to ensure the pump does not get blocked. Its a cheap thing to do, but can save you ££££. So worth looking at if you buy the car and its not been done. You can test the 4WD sustem relatively easy on a test drive. Basically you should have good traction even on greasy roads, even under full acceleration. If the traction light is flickering like mad on anything other than light acceleration its a potential warning sign ( presuming tyres are all good ).

Warranty work / Recalls - To my knowledge there have been no major recalls, but any previous issues with the car should have been sorted under warranty. If any have not ask why not. Could point to an ongoing problem?

Exhaust tips. All four should be clean ideally, the inner two soot up quicker but this will help you see if the current owner truly loves his cars. Its one area a lot of people just dont clean.

Wheels- Check for kerbing. £120 circa to fix as diamond cut edges if standard wheels. £50 for aquick glance test fix.

Tyres - All S3's if on 18 wheels generally came with Conti Sport 5 tyres. I would have thought these would been changed now and possibly twice by owner ( dependent on how car was driven ) so see what they have replaced them with. Conti Sport 6, Michelin PS3/4 or Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy2/3 and Dunlop Sportmaxx are all highly rated tyres for the car. Many owners actually dont like the Conti Sport 5. I had no issues with mine but changed for the sake of curiosity when mine came up.

If you have VCDS ask to do a scan or take a £10 dongle with you from Amazon and perform a quick scan. You would be surprised what can flag up.

Ask the owner if they have completed any VCDS modifications? Popular items are - exhaust flaps/ alarm chirp/ windscreen wiper service etc. Once again I see this as nothing to worry about.

Remaps- Ask the owner if the car has ever had a ECU remap or DSG TCU map. These are not necasarily bad things but you should be aware of them. And if car has had a proper ECU map then even if flashed back to stock it may well trigger a TD1 flag due to ECU count changing. Audi will pick this up if the car needs major engine / turbo warranty work. (TDI flag).

Ring up the Audi garage where the car has been serviced - check records and ask about the car. Give them the VIN so they know you are serious and they might throw some more light on the car. U can do this with the owner/ without. As other have also suggested using these details will show you the factory spec and options. People also retrofit some options, with popular items, parking sensors, folding heated wing mirrors, reversing camera etc. Once again not an issue and only a benefit. Just make sure it all works and if OEM performs as it should in an integrated way.

No of owners - A car which is 3-4 years old could easily have several owners. This should not put you off or be a concern. ( example - 1st from new, 2nd owner after 1 year, 3rd owner had for last 2 years ) What I would look for is lots of owners and in a short period. That might point to a dog of a car.

I think you can tell a lot about the car from the owner. How its cared for, documentation on the car, and how they first drive the car. Step back and let them take the lead. Let your mind rule not your heart!!

All the best ... These cars dont have the same engine noise as the RS cars but they sure fly and are a very very pleasant place to be. A step above many other hot/ hyper hatches.

Hope all goes well for you

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: Bells, Yasin M, GW1 and 10 others
Welcome mate :sign welcome:

Points mostly covered above, so good luck and keep us posted. Pics are compulsory too when you get it lol

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Above advice is good.

USED CAR CHECK

All the usual checks apply when buying a used/ cherished secand hand car. Check Coolant levels and Oil levels especially on the S3. Some cars have had issues with these two points.

Coolant should be between the min and max lines. If its above the max on a cold engine the owner might have had issues previously and this is the first thing Audi advise to do. Ie overfill. There is a fix for this now (apparently) from Audi but depends if car still has warranty. Some of the early cars are now out of warranty unless extended..(.63 /14/64 and soon 15 plate etc ).

Oil usage. Some cars like to sip oil, this is nothing to worry about necessarily but just be aware. Oil should be clean

The DSG should be smooth in all modes and aggresive in Dynamic. It might be a little lumpy for 2 mins until oil is upto temp but otherwise it should be perfect.

Engine/Turbo rattle/rustle. You may notice a slight rustle noise when the car is under light load. This is normal, Golf R and S3 and even 1.8 and standard 2.0 TFSI turbo engines emit this noise. Audi still working on a poential fix. But this is nothing to worry about.

Turbo - There was a batch of turbos which did have more chance of blowing. Manufacturing default etc. Do a forum search for numbers etc. Sorry I cant recall further info. But at 30k hopefully its all good by now. They tended to go pop pretty quick / early in life.

Service- S3 should be serviced yearly really or atleast have oil changed. Some cars were put on long life. So double check intervals and whats been done. Shorter more regular obviously better.

Other servicable items - Haldex / Auto DSG box service etc. Audi dont actually recommend a service on either of these two components until later in the cars life. However it would show good prevantative maintenance if atleast the Haldex oil was changed. Its one area that can causee potential issues on the 4WD Haldex system and people on the forum are looking at shorter service intervals to ensure the pump does not get blocked. Its a cheap thing to do, but can save you ££££. So worth looking at if you buy the car and its not been done. You can test the 4WD sustem relatively easy on a test drive. Basically you should have good traction even on greasy roads, even under full acceleration. If the traction light is flickering like mad on anything other than light acceleration its a potential warning sign ( presuming tyres are all good ).

Warranty work / Recalls - To my knowledge there have been no major recalls, but any previous issues with the car should have been sorted under warranty. If any have not ask why not. Could point to an ongoing problem?

Exhaust tips. All four should be clean ideally, the inner two soot up quicker but this will help you see if the current owner truly loves his cars. Its one area a lot of people just dont clean.

Wheels- Check for kerbing. £120 circa to fix as diamond cut edges if standard wheels. £50 for aquick glance test fix.

Tyres - All S3's if on 18 wheels generally came with Conti Sport 5 tyres. I would have thought these would been changed now and possibly twice by owner ( dependent on how car was driven ) so see what they have replaced them with. Conti Sport 6, Michelin PS3/4 or Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy2/3 and Dunlop Sportmaxx are all highly rated tyres for the car. Many owners actually dont like the Conti Sport 5. I had no issues with mine but changed for the sake of curiosity when mine came up.

If you have VCDS ask to do a scan or take a £10 dongle with you from Amazon and perform a quick scan. You would be surprised what can flag up.

Ask the owner if they have completed any VCDS modifications? Popular items are - exhaust flaps/ alarm chirp/ windscreen wiper service etc. Once again I see this as nothing to worry about.

Remaps- Ask the owner if the car has ever had a ECU remap or DSG TCU map. These are not necasarily bad things but you should be aware of them. And if car has had a proper ECU map then even if flashed back to stock it may well trigger a TD1 flag due to ECU count changing. Audi will pick this up if the car needs major engine / turbo warranty work. (TDI flag).

Ring up the Audi garage where the car has been serviced - check records and ask about the car. Give them the VIN so they know you are serious and they might throw some more light on the car. U can do this with the owner/ without. As other have also suggested using these details will show you the factory spec and options. People also retrofit some options, with popular items, parking sensors, folding heated wing mirrors, reversing camera etc. Once again not an issue and only a benefit. Just make sure it all works and if OEM performs as it should in an integrated way.

No of owners - A car which is 3-4 years old could easily have several owners. This should not put you off or be a concern. ( example - 1st from new, 2nd owner after 1 year, 3rd owner had for last 2 years ) What I would look for is lots of owners and in a short period. That might point to a dog of a car.

I think you can tell a lot about the car from the owner. How its cared for, documentation on the car, and how they first drive the car. Step back and let them take the lead. Let your mind rule not your heart!!

All the best ... These cars dont have the same engine noise as the RS cars but they sure fly and are a very very pleasant place to be. A step above many other hot/ hyper hatches.

Regds
Jungle
What a ****** awesome post mate, l take it you weren't busy this morning lol

Just to add my miniscule tuppence lol
I sold my S3 with 27000 miles on it, these photos were taken on the day l sold it
DSC 0045
DSC 0044

If looks anywhere near as good as this it's been well looked after, exhaust tips are the give away if it's not been looked after properly as is the leather on the bolsters look out for severe cracks in these bolsters or bolsters that look deflated as this means the cushioning underneath is knackered, apart from all the awesome advice above, if there's something your feeling a bit uncomfortable about..... Questions don't be afraid to walk, there's a lot of 64/15 plate S3's for sale

Reactions: JonnyS3, GaryP, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
@jassyo06 Just added a couple of bits to a post I did a while back re same question. :redrs4::sunglasses:

Someone sure got a nice cherished car when they bought yours. I am trying to ensure mine is as good for when the enviable comes and I put mine up for sale. Meanwhile it serves me very well, with plenty of smiles per mile.

Jungle

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
@jassyo06 Just added a couple of bits to a post I did a while back re same question. :redrs4::sunglasses:

Someone sure got a nice cherished car when they bought yours. I am trying to ensure mine is as good for when the enviable comes and I put mine up for sale. Meanwhile it serves me very well, with plenty of smiles per mile.

Jungle
Aye yours is top dog mate, probably the best example of the pre face lift sportback cars l have seen and you're sure to get top dollar for it, that's for sure mate

Reactions: jungle650
Above advice is good.

Any further details? As recently as 48 hours ago, there was no record of an updated "fix" from AoA. They're still operating on the "air in the system up to 15,000 miles" TSB.

Any further details? As recently as 48 hours ago, there was no record of an updated "fix" from AoA. They're still operating on the "air in the system up to 15,000 miles" TSB.

The fix ( if thats the phrase to use ) is to simply replace the water pump and potentially the thermostat as well
( presuming the top up method does not work) and all hoses have been checked. It seems a common problem across a wide range of VW group models so clearly something isnt right, although it does not effect all cars, even if on the same platform, ie MBQ / Audi S3’s etc.

Prior to this each dealer used to offer different solutions for the same issue. Now its been well documented on the Golf R and Audi forums, its something that all dealers should have some knowledge of. Although as I am sure you are aware some owners have still reported problems after having these parts replaced under warranty. So although there is a common response to deal with the problem there is no guarantee that its a permanent fix.

Just as a final word of warning I have noticed that the coolant lid cover can feel like its tight but there is actually several more turns to finish the seating to make it properly tight. So this might be a potential silly thing that owners have overlooked and lids are not correctly tightened and hence liquid escapes. So worth double checking there is not another turn ..1/2 turn left on the lid to secure the seal with the coolant taank.

There are seperate threads on the subject so wont dilute this thread any further with the issue.

I hope your issue gets resolved on your car.

Jungle

Reactions: Jassyo06
Firstly - What a response - thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

Call Audi spec check helpline with the reg to find out what its had in the Audi main dealer system, they can tell you the extra options and the services. Its same number as customer services. 0800 699 888

Obviously HPI the car, check the vin, reg doc number on V5 and the mileage on the car against the HPI

How many owners ? Will also be on the HPI, more than 2 or 3 might make it a bit more difficult to sell on unless you keep it a while.

If its not an Audi approved car then you wont get a years warranty, but you can buy an Audi one if you want, you can check to see how much that would be before you buy it.

I'd check its not been modified, check the paintwork, body panels etc very closely, even if it was at an Audi main dealer.

Check the tyres, if they need replacing factor in £400

Check your insurance

Mythos black is a good colour

Thanks for the above - i called the number and they confirmed three services at Audi Main dealer.

I will be the third owner - so two before me.

And i have been looking at the warranty and slithering whether it is worth it. I bet we can all make arguments for it both for and against.

At 30k at 3 years old it should be on fixed servicing regime, so have had 3 services plus mot at the most recent service. Or it could be coming up to the third service and mot - depends when it was registered of course.
It may have been left on a flexible schedule, in which case it may have had only one. But with that mileage it should be annual.
Unless it's just had an mot and service you should get them to do it.

As above - confirmed three services.

Above advice is good.

USED CAR CHECK

Regds
Jungle

That you for the lengthy post - it should be made a sticky or something.

I will make sure i go through the points when i see the car tomorrow.

What a ****** awesome post mate, l take it you weren't busy this morning lol

Just to add my miniscule tuppence lol
I sold my S3 with 27000 miles on it, these photos were taken on the day l sold it View attachment 146832View attachment 146833
If looks anywhere near as good as this it's been well looked after, exhaust tips are the give away if it's not been looked after properly as is the leather on the bolsters look out for severe cracks in these bolsters or bolsters that look deflated as this means the cushioning underneath is knackered, apart from all the awesome advice above, if there's something your feeling a bit uncomfortable about..... Questions don't be afraid to walk, there's a lot of 64/15 plate S3's for sale

Car is looking great - Very nice indeed.

And i knew about the Seat woes previously - this car appears to look ok (in the pictures)

Reactions: jungle650 and Jassyo06
Try and view the car dry if possible so you can see the paintwork

Reactions: Jassyo06 and JonnyS3
The car will be inside under lights for the inspection (I’m told) so should be able to have a good look.

Thats good, obviously you will need to test drive it too....Im sure you know all this anyway...good luck

Reactions: Jassyo06 and jungle650
Folks,
Just an update in here.

The car looked and drove well. Checked the coolants as above and again all looked ok.

So Saturday will pick it up and now my questions turn a little more ‘user based’

Making the most of the MMI;
- should I just keep an old iPhone plugged in and utilise the media that way ?

Or just get some SD cards ?

And I suspect there is no way to get Waze on the screen / alerting as I’ve got used to it instead of the factory option ?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Congrats... Looking forward to the pics!

MMI - SD card is the easier option but less flexible. In that you have to take card out to update music. You can always just use Bluetooth and connect phone that way. This is what most people do , ie to use Spotify etc.

If you want all the album art etc and ability to toggle using steering wheels controls etc either use SD card or purchase the yellow MMI usb cable for Iphone/ phone. Another option if car has Tech Pack high is to use the internal jukebox function. So depends on spec of the car and your needs.

Screen Mirrroing - You can use Waze if you get someone to configure screen mirroring. Requires coding, cables and a small module. @DJAlix for example from Vagcarcoding can assist. Infact he has a demo unit for sale at present in the sticky ebay threads.

Its worth spending 30 mins or so walking through the sticky threads here as most of your initial questions will have already been asked and answered.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...tions-how-to-guides-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/

Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and JonnyS3
Reactions: Audi Bairn and JonnyS3
Folks,
Just an update in here.

The car looked and drove well. Checked the coolants as above and again all looked ok.

So Saturday will pick it up and now my questions turn a little more ‘user based’

Making the most of the MMI;
- should I just keep an old iPhone plugged in and utilise the media that way ?

Or just get some SD cards ?

And I suspect there is no way to get Waze on the screen / alerting as I’ve got used to it instead of the factory option ?

As @jungle650 says there's a few options.

I simply have an iPod Classic permanently plugged into the USB in the arm rest via it's charging cable and my phone connected via Bluetooth

I have 1 64GB SD card in the glovebox thing and them a 32GB USB stick that I connect under the arm rest. Works best for me as I don't store music on my phone nowadays as just stream it all.

Sorry for the late reply on here but got the car picked up safe and sound and have been enjoying it since.

The drive up to Scotland from down south was uneventful but that’s almost what we were looking for. Even managed to see about 34mpg while on cruise control.

The car was looking good was we arrived to pick it up.

9721917D B8C0 4B26 A4AF 5B0984AFFD38

A few things i noticed - jeez the rear window gets dirty!

The alert to have a break scared the life out of me too!

So far we have enjoyed some weekend drives and the car keeps on taking it in its stride. Had a guy in a 308 trying to keep up (somewhat dangerously i might add too) but i guess the attention comes with the territory.

We had originally been looking at a car with the black pack so may get the trim wrapped one day but i’d Love to find an RS3 grille and then black out the front side grille sections.

A7EAE54C EDE2 4C01 A8B0 7549DF202D57

EC005DE9 1031 4DB1 BE77 9DF59B2CA75D

One of the members on was able to send through the correct MMI cable with the iPhone and then also got media loaded on an SD card through advice on sizes etc.

I’d like to give a big thanks to you all for your helpful info above.

I’m away for a drive....

Reactions: Reggieboy71, oli356, MattSedg and 5 others
Sorry for the late reply on here but got the car picked up safe and sound and have been enjoying it since.

The drive up to Scotland from down south was uneventful but that’s almost what we were looking for. Even managed to see about 34mpg while on cruise control.

View attachment 148731

So far we have enjoyed some weekend drives and the car keeps on taking it in its stride. Had a guy in a 308 trying to keep up (somewhat dangerously i might add too) but i guess the attention comes with the territory.

We had originally been looking at a car with the black pack so may get the trim wrapped one day but i’d Love to find an RS3 grille and then black out the front side grille sections.

View attachment 148732

View attachment 148733

One of the members on was able to send through the correct MMI cable with the iPhone and then also got media loaded on an SD card through advice on sizes etc.

I’m away for a drive....
Very nice, keep the chrome, suits black.

View attachment 148731

View attachment 148732

View attachment 148733

I’m away for a drive....

Pleased it worked out for u.. congrats on your new car!

Nice :)!

Haha, the rest recommendation rubbish can be turned off in the MMI settings somewhere. And yeah the rear windscreen does get pretty filthy. I hate my windscreens being even a tiny bit dirty and drives me mad when I'm a passenger looking through dirt haha.

Enjoy the car!

I have been meaning to revisit this thread and give some form of an update for ages but life (or driving) just seems to get in the way.

In terms of driving - I still love the car. It ticks so many boxes in terms of being comfortable and a nice place to be and when the time is right, it can be lots of fun to push on.

My mind is slowly contemplating a stage one remap at somehwhere like MRC but that may wait for a while.

The few things i have changed i will try to call out below. I spied in the classified some new vents and REVO carbon goodies which @jungle650 had been selling so had those fitted. (I thought i had posted a pic in a thread somewhere but cant seem to find it)

AE48DFE8 1A92 4EC3 AD5F A72C64D65662

8A100D8C B396 4031 9C5C 26700004EDCF

I know they are little but i do like the vents.

I don’t have too many pics of the REVO products but will try to get some more.

C034AFB4 4E1A 4932 97F3 F3A4B3453F1D

6C61CCD9 E2A6 4669 9740 A7B307A3D1CD

You will also spy in the last picture i had an RS3 grille fitted. Now I’m not trying to pretend it is an RS3, i just prefer the look.

I had them fitted by @Daveheson who had been extremely helpful with my questions on....lowering.

I had read all the threads, googled all the pictures and in the end i went for an MSS Street kit. And i can honestly say I haven’t regretted it for a second. The ride is excellent and we initially set the car up for just a little lower than stock and now it has fully settled i may lower it a tad further.

0A62F732 D33E 4FE6 9DCA C21F5FFDD014

After the grille was fitted, the car was lowered it was off for some paint correction to make the Mythos Black look like it should. I had it done by Autobath Detailing and Ronnie is a top man so if you’re near edinburgh give him a look. His unit is often filled with some special cars...

HEre are some of the after pics...
337AFD94 C583 4825 A66E B1398581D3E0
3C9B0A91 6C7F 4189 B66B 02502311B00A
E66B0182 C566 4F90 A476 FC65C86A767E
0DD4449C B659 4D91 A7B4 7BE9C911A158

I also got a pretty nice way of mounting a plate on the grille which is removable so if i ever want it looking ‘clean’ it can just pop off.

Anyway, apologies for some many pics!

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasin M, wab172uk, oli356 and 7 others
Wow looks quality. Love the update

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So I’m getting a little itchy feet and thinking about some power mods.

Will do a little brain dump of what I’ve considered and then all input/ feedback etc is welcomed.

I’m fairly set on keeping the stock exhaust for now.
But to increase the sound of the car I had been asking @BCS Nige a few questions about res delete. Now I know it’s not really power related but it goes in this list as an option.

I had also enquired about the BCS downpipe which would be the start of proper mods and also increase volume.

Is there much point of doing the DP if I don’t go further with mods - ie don’t go to stage 2?

Or should I simply head down to MRC and go stage one and be done with it ?

Where would you put your money...?

Cheers

So I’m getting a little itchy feet and thinking about some power mods.

Will do a little brain dump of what I’ve considered and then all input/ feedback etc is welcomed.

I’m fairly set on keeping the stock exhaust for now.
But to increase the sound of the car I had been asking @BCS Nige a few questions about res delete. Now I know it’s not really power related but it goes in this list as an option.

I had also enquired about the BCS downpipe which would be the start of proper mods and also increase volume.

Is there much point of doing the DP if I don’t go further with mods - ie don’t go to stage 2?

Or should I simply head down to MRC and go stage one and be done with it ?

Where would you put your money...?

Cheers
BCS Res delete is awesome. Nothing else to say.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Can you tell me more about your revo updates under the bonnet please and where to purchase
Thanks
Dave

Can you tell me more about your revo updates under the bonnet please and where to purchase
Thanks
Dave
I have the airscoop - bit at the front.

Then also the airbox lid and turbo hose.

I got them off a forum member here but I am sure if you go on the Revo website you could either buy them or find a stockist.

Reactions: Fozzer