Tyre pressure warning

Aspen

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just a quickie. Is everyone’s as unreliable as mine?

I thought the same on mine but had a very very slow puncture...worth checking if its the same tyre..but if its random tyres then I guess its unreliable/something else.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Mine’s fine. I check tyre pressures (cold) fortnightly with an accurate gauge, pump tyres to the correct pressure and store in MMI. It has only once reported a problem (in over a year) and there was a problem.

Working well for me, reported loss of preasure from nail in tyre - twice...

Just a quickie. Is everyone’s as unreliable as mine?
Unless it's changed, be aware that it is only for sudden loss of pressure, not if it's gone form 40 psi - 35 psi over a few weeks.

Mine went of 3 times when I had the S3:

1) We were in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal and I hit a massive pothole!!! A few minutes later I got the warning on the dash :( I pulled over and checked all the tyres and they were OK. I reset the pressures in the mmi and it didn't go off again. When I got home the pressures hadn't dropped any further, so I put it down to the pothole causing the sensor to blip.

2) After I'd been parked up visiting the mother in law, 300 yards up the road and it went off, got out and I had a flat on the NSR :(

3) Informed me I had a flat OSF after hitting something in the road :(

God, mine is diferent wheels. It’s happened 3 times so far.
Thing is, my golf GTE did exactly the same so it’s me or, VAG cars lol

Unless it's changed, be aware that it is only for sudden loss of pressure, not if it's gone form 40 psi - 35 psi over a few weeks.
I think it works by monitoring the pulses from the ABS sensors, calculates the change in rolling radius on a particular wheel compared to a set datum/other tyres and also a difference in pulse frequency, detecting wind up flexing during acceleration/braking compared to the other wheels.
Mine has gone off three times and correctly identified a slow punctures before the tyre even "looked a bit flat".

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Only had it occur once in 18mths of ownership. Happened last month when it hit 48degrees here in Sydney and driving up the coast. Southerly blew through in the afternoon and dropped the temp to mid 20's and the tyre monitor went nuts for half hour at the sudden temp drop of the road/air conditions.
Pulled into a servo and checked the pressures all round and all were fine. Rechecked the next day the car/tyres were cold at a servo and re-stored the settings in the monitor and no issues since.

Must be Global warming :)

After a search, I was reading this with interest.
Although it’s not my S3, it could apply to any model with pressure warning systems.
Two weekends ago I adjusted the tyre pressures in my wife’s TT.
Last weekend I was driving down to Liverpool in it and about 120 miles into the journey the warning appeared for left rear.
Stopped at the next services and all pressures were ok and I re-calibrated the system. No further issues all weekend.
Today, a week later, it comes on again but not referring to any specific tyre, just saying to check them all. Again, they’re all ok. I’ve re-calibrated again.
Question I suppose is, whatever the model, anyone had experience of these sensors being unreliable? If this keeps happening, it’ll be a PITA as well as not being able to rely on it correctly telling us there’s an issue whilst on the move.

After a search, I was reading this with interest.
Although it’s not my S3, it could apply to any model with pressure warning systems.
Two weekends ago I adjusted the tyre pressures in my wife’s TT.
Last weekend I was driving down to Liverpool in it and about 120 miles into the journey the warning appeared for left rear.
Stopped at the next services and all pressures were ok and I re-calibrated the system. No further issues all weekend.
Today, a week later, it comes on again but not referring to any specific tyre, just saying to check them all. Again, they’re all ok. I’ve re-calibrated again.
Question I suppose is, whatever the model, anyone had experience of these sensors being unreliable? If this keeps happening, it’ll be a PITA as well as not being able to rely on it correctly telling us there’s an issue whilst on the move.

Could be a sign of abs sensor malfunction.

Could be a sign of abs sensor malfunction.
Never thought of that, thanks.
Time for a dealer visit I think. It’s due a service and it’s still under warranty, so will book it in then.
:thumbs up:

Mines gone off twice on back left but only on long journeys, tested all pressures and all spot on. not done it for a while. I was told hard acceleration or the bumps on the motorway exiting and entering can also cause this.

My wife's Mini Countryman is in the garage atm (waiting to get the 'all clear' after a third road test to confirm), one of the symptoms was tyre pressure warning every day or so (the Mini doesn't tell you which tyre, just a generic check them). Went to tyre fitters 3 times to confirm all tyres were fine, looks like the problem was wheel bearing which needed replacing, they thought it might've been the ABS too but doesn't seem to be the case now.

I coded mine as didn’t come with it. Never had the lights come on until I changed the wheels. Reset and no problems so far.

Mine seem to go off whenever they want.
Ironically when I did actually have a puncture it didn’t detect it, instead came up about 40 mins after the space saver had been fitted.

Frustrating as the ones on my BM were spot on, only came on the three times I did actually have a puncture

Last edited: