Steering Wheel Upgrade

TGPrince

Reaction score
Hello, I currently have this stock steering wheel installed in my 2004 A3 8P:

Xhb51.png

I am going to replace the steering wheel with this one:

Xh5cZ.jpg

I know that these have different airbags, however, I am just looking for a way to install the new steering wheel in the car that will allow me to use the horn and won't give me an airbag warning on the dash?

This is a stripped back track car, I do not require a functional airbag.

I anticipate this may require some rewiring of the airbag/horn connectors.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Can highly recommend Royal, he did mine in alcantara with black stitching and red leather middle stripe.

FittedWheel 20171104 000

Otherwise you will need steering wheel airbag delete resistor to connect to the airbag connector.

Don't go measuring the resistance of your airbag with a multimeter as it may deploy!

Not sure what value it is for our airbags but according to this the post below a 2.2ohm one may work.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-wheel-airbag-delete-resistor.220959/

I have thought about it however I would prefer to just use the newer style steering wheel, I just want to be able to continue to use the horn!

It may be quite rare members would fit a new steering wheel and prioritise the horn over the airbag. I could be wrong however.

Why not go with something like
This would allow the horn to be connected (you may need to move a couple of wires). You could remove the bulb from the clocks so the warning light isn't in your face or use the resistor method; his post may help with the Airbag warning light.
Alternatively, as your steering wheel is the early 8P wheel (same as the 8L) it's likely you'll have a single stage airbag. The 8P, after about 2005 had dual stage airbags however I think the current A3 8V has a single stage.

Note the < > on the left hand side of the wheel - this may not be the only indicator of single stage but others may be able to confirm.

There are posts on the 8L forum about retrofitting .