White smoke on warm-up

bennyboyph

Reaction score
A4 '02 1.8T BFB engine. White exhaust smoke on engine warm-up for around 15minutes, then disappears. Seems to have started after engine flush and oil change 4 weeks ago.

Doesn't seem to be using any coolant

Doesn't seem to be using up any oil

Exhaust tips look particularly sooted up

Any ideas?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

egr leaking ?

The most popular misconception ever, 1.8t doesn’t have EGR.
It has secondary air injection pump, this pumps air into the cylinder head/ exhaust manifold during cold start, this is to help the cat burn the left over fuel and heat the cat quicker for emissions purposes.
I think your pcv system is clogged and your engine can’t breathe properly forcing oil into the inlet.
Remedy is strip and clean but order the crankcase breather pipe first as it will break on removal if it isn’t broken already.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/311785040243

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s not pcv then the oil cooler is the next culprit.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

PCV hoses have been recently replaced using the 034 motorsports kit, from crankcase to PRV (hockey-puck)

Got an error code this morning from Secondary Air-pump with inadequate flow - it's been whining on startup for a while, but has been silent recently - could this be the white smoke cause?

Thanks for the replies, folks!

PCV hoses have been recently replaced using the 034 motorsports kit, from crankcase to PRV (hockey-puck)

Got an error code this morning from Secondary Air-pump with inadequate flow - it's been whining on startup for a while, but has been silent recently - could this be the white smoke cause?

If the combi valve fails condensation can form in the pump, if it’s still working it could be sending condensation into the exhaust = white smoke. Disconnect lower SAIP hose to check.

If the combi valve fails condensation can form in the pump, if it’s still working it could be sending condensation into the exhaust = white smoke. Disconnect lower SAIP hose to check.

Thank-you! I will definitely give that a go!

Reactions: QuattroCalum