Current, but not up to date, S4 satnav maps?

NoParticularPlaceToGo

Reaction score
What is your experience of the currency of your Audi’s satnav map? Ever since 2015 when I bought an A6 Allroad with integrated satnav I have had a nagging doubt that the Audi system is not reliably up-to-date. On Sunday 4th February, I saved the current UK map from My Audi to an SD card and then uploaded this to the S4 that has replaced the A6. All went well, so - as far as I can tell - the map in the car is the latest and greatest version.

This morning I had an early opportunity to test my theory thanks to Network Rail’s inability to operate the East Coast Main Line. Cursing the useless £415 monthly railway season ticket in my pocket, I defrosted the S4 and drove 56 miles up the A1 from Berwick to Newcastle. Sure enough, the £30.1M A197 Morpeth Northern Bypass (opened 4th April 2017) does not appear on the map in the Audi. If I’d been driving Dame NoParticularPlaceToGo’s Mazda MX-5, the £150 TomTom stuck unattractively on its dashboard has known about the new junctions, slip roads, roundabouts and underbridge for months.

Is it unreasonable to expect that a significant road alteration should appear on the satnav almost a year after it opened to traffic? Am I unlucky? Does any of this matter? Should I just shrug and buy another TomTom and stick it on the S4 dash? Is the points failure at Tweedmouth fixed yet?

It really depends on who supplies the map data to Audi and then how long it takes Audi to incorporate it into their updates. I'm stuck using Android auto in my A4 and that doesn't have every road on it either. It also seems rather prone to magical mystery tours so on balance that I didn't used to encounter with the built in maps when the car was on home turf.

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo
Notice similar here "up North", the new M56 to M6 Southbound link still doesn't exist in Audi land, latest maps installed. Link was opened last March.

The maps in pretty much all car manufacturers satnavs as about 2 years out of date when they are released. It you want upto date maps in a satnav you will have to use Waze on your mobile phone.

It also seems rather prone to magical mystery tours so on balance that I didn't used to encounter with the built in maps when the car was on home turf.

Copy/paste error - meant to say that on balance prefer the built in maps even if they were slightly out of date. Another issue I used to notice was that the listed speed limits could often be wrong. On one occasion I was driving past a school in a 40km/h zone and the sat nav said it was a 100km/h zone.

I still think £14.99 a year on the Tomtom app is money well spent for me. For example the maps show the Broughton bypass which opened in October 2017.

I still think £14.99 a year on the Tomtom app is money well spent for me. For example the maps show the Broughton bypass which opened in October 2017.

If this could work with Android Auto I'd much prefer to use it as I find Google's navigation interface quite unclear sometimes.

Reactions: scotty76
If this could work with Android Auto I'd much prefer to use it as I find Google's navigation interface quite unclear sometimes.
Agreed. I prefer the look and feel of the Tomtom maps. Also the traffic information has saved me on many occasions.

What is your experience of the currency of your Audi’s satnav map? Ever since 2015 when I bought an A6 Allroad with integrated satnav I have had a nagging doubt that the Audi system is not reliably up-to-date. On Sunday 4th February, I saved the current UK map from My Audi to an SD card and then uploaded this to the S4 that has replaced the A6. All went well, so - as far as I can tell - the map in the car is the latest and greatest version.

This morning I had an early opportunity to test my theory thanks to Network Rail’s inability to operate the East Coast Main Line. Cursing the useless £415 monthly railway season ticket in my pocket, I defrosted the S4 and drove 56 miles up the A1 from Berwick to Newcastle. Sure enough, the £30.1M A197 Morpeth Northern Bypass (opened 4th April 2017) does not appear on the map in the Audi. If I’d been driving Dame NoParticularPlaceToGo’s Mazda MX-5, the £150 TomTom stuck unattractively on its dashboard has known about the new junctions, slip roads, roundabouts and underbridge for months.

Is it unreasonable to expect that a significant road alteration should appear on the satnav almost a year after it opened to traffic? Am I unlucky? Does any of this matter? Should I just shrug and buy another TomTom and stick it on the S4 dash? Is the points failure at Tweedmouth fixed yet?

Why don’t you just use google maps that’s actively built into the car ? I assume that’s up to date. (Maybe I’m wrong hee ..). Personally I prefer google maps as part of Android Car ...

Why don’t you just use google maps that’s actively built into the car ? I assume that’s up to date. (Maybe I’m wrong hee ..). Personally I prefer google maps as part of Android Car ...

The google maps are only an overlay and are not used for the actual navigation. My car doesn't have UK maps but I can bring up the google maps in VC or MMI display with a sim card installed but there are no road details. If I try to plan a route, even if using the google search function, it will show me the destination in the search results but is unable to plan a route.

Yeh it is pretty poor. They don’t have the new M8 motorway on the maps and I’ve also read they don’t have the latest Queensferry crossing which then takes you a huge detour since the old fourth road bridge isn’t for cars anymore.

What’s worse is my Dads Mercedes does have the new M8, even though I thought they use the same here maps :(

Reactions: NoParticularPlaceToGo
I prefer to use Google maps on my phone for navigation as it plans the route much better than Here. I usually have Here in the background if I'm not using any navigation so I can see where the traffic jams are but even these are not as accurate as Google maps. Just patiently waiting for the day when apple allows to run google maps through car play without jailbraking the phone.

Not sure if it’s relevant but google maps on my works PC still shows Stratfords Olympic Park under development.

What this one:
Screenshot 20180209 173435 960x600

Has anyone tried using Apple Maps through CarPlay for navigation? This is what I’m planning to do when I get my A4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk