Has anyone in the UK bought VAG COM from the US?

Mine all came direct from Ross-Tech in the States both my original Twin-COM and my current HEX-USB+CAN that I upgraded to.

Excellant service, but unfortinately I did get stung for the Import duty.

Paul

If memory serves, it is 19 or 20% of the value. (This is as reported from customers who ordered from us.)

We also make an effort to reduce the taxes by stating that the software is delivered via Intenet Email. By doing this, customs ussually will not charge the tax on the software.

So, the taxes should only be on the hard goods.

Many ask us to put artificially low prices on the invoices. Unfortunately, both US and UK customs know us now and they will not allow us to do that. We had letters telling us we needed to declare the full and fair values.

Our distributors in the UK sell at a price that includes the transportation and the taxes on the goods. You might want to check our distributor page for distributors near you.

bearthebruce said:
Our distributors in the UK sell at a price that includes the transportation and the taxes on the goods. You might want to check our distributor page for distributors near you.

That's what I did ;)

Got mine from uk distributor within 2 days :)

i bit the bullet and ordered a hex+can usb obd vag.com tool from ross-tech on monday 'cos i was having loads of issues with my non-ross-tech tool, like not being able to connect to certain modules and always having to re-set up the drivers each time i used it and guess what.....no customs to pay, yippeee!!!

so it might be worth taking the chance to order from the states, i think it still works out cheaper even if you do end up getting stung for tax!

Ordered mine last week, £200 all in for the USB Hex-com + Can, arrived in 2 days by FEDEX, no TAX :arco:, i guess an envelope attracts less attention than a container, or maybe the were too busy. Either way i dont care. That will offset a small percentage of the next council tax rise :laugh:

For what it's worth.

I ordered my Vag Com from Ross tech in the U.S.

It ended up costing about £154.

It took two days to come. That was fast as hell.

Then a week later, I got an import reciept from Fed-Ex.
£18 for import duty, £6something as a charge from them.

So, It still came in at under £180. Try getting the same quick service at the same price from the UK distributor.
And my lead was already registered, plugged it in to the computer, and all was ready to rock.

Would deffo buy from the U.S. if I was gonna do it again.

Ordered mine last week, £200 all in for the USB Hex-com + Can, arrived in 2 days by FEDEX, no TAX :arco:, i guess an envelope attracts less attention than a container, or maybe the were too busy. Either way i dont care. That will offset a small percentage of the next council tax rise :laugh:

Don't want to spoil it for you, but you'll probably receive a bill from FEDEX at a later date for the VAT.....

Don't want to spoil it for you, but you'll probably receive a bill from FEDEX at a later date for the VAT.....

Very likely true. Which is why we state the following on the Terms & Conditions page (where you have to click the "I agree" button):

[SIZE=-1]4. International Sales: All duties and taxes are the responsibility of the customer. The courier company normally pays these costs when they clear the package through customs in your country and will attempt to collect the same from you, either when the package is delivered or by invoice afterwards. The courier company may also assess a small fee for this service.

[/SIZE]But please don't blame us for the duties and taxes levied by your government! :p

-Uwe-