Slight buzz / Rattle from Instrument Cluster

daveflynn said:
My knob rattles
:hubbahubba:

The little silver one on the handbrake.

That was the first and most annoying rattle in my car.
Took weeks for them to find out where it was coming from,never mind how to fix it.
They eventually asked me to take a mechanic out and replicate the sound.
Christ knows how they didn't manage,because the first patch of rough tarmac had it rattling away.
The mechanic put his finger on the handbrake button and it stopped.
He took it into the workshop,"packed out the button" (whatever that entails) and it was fixed.
It's never rattled since.
One less to worry about.

bowfer said:
He took it into the workshop,"packed out the button" (whatever that entails) and it was fixed.

Cheap padding - Tesco Value bog roll most likely...

SamDude said:
Cheap padding - Tesco Value bog roll most likely...

You mean the same stuff some people's leather seats are made from ?

;-)

I also got a rattle from my instruments, drives me round the f'ing twist. I bought some felt tape from audi accessories and covered the ouside of the binnacle with it. and made sure I tightened all the screws holding the binnacle together.

A good rattle stopper is an old window squeegee blade. See here at the bottom of the page. Our guys throw them away when they're shot but I always hold on to one or two just in case. You can cut them up to any size and they're great for going inbetween two bits of trim.

A4Quattro said:
I also got a rattle from my instruments, drives me round the f'ing twist. I bought some felt tape from audi accessories and covered the ouside of the binnacle with it. and made sure I tightened all the screws holding the binnacle together.

How much were you for that ?
Couldn't you have got it from B+Q ?

A4Quattro said:

Where are the screws, do u have to remove the binnacle to do this?