The great spec debate

Get glass done separately! What sort of Muppet Government introduced the £40k price bar. Ridiculous!

Reactions: rasA4
Just got back from the dealer. Car has been ordered with spec as per my original post + the Storage Pack as you can deduct the initial VED from the ROTR so it’s still coming in at just under £40k.

Dealer couldn’t quite match drive the deal but got close enough for me to sign up so I’m happy.

Should be delivered late May/early June.

Test drive was a choice between a TDI or an S4. Good gawd the S4 is fast!

Reactions: SimonAshley
Just got back from the dealer. Car has been ordered with spec as per my original post + the Storage Pack as you can deduct the initial VED from the ROTR so it’s still coming in at just under £40k.

Dealer couldn’t quite match drive the deal but got close enough for me to sign up so I’m happy.

Should be delivered late May/early June.

Test drive was a choice between a TDI or an S4. Good gawd the S4 is fast!
Congratulations DohNut. What is the tax for the 190?

Might add I also went for the engine badge delete (so no ‘TSFI’ on the boot) and got one of those cup holder ashtray things thrown in for free. Don’t smoke but just think they look cool.

Will be trying to blag more free stuff nearer delivery.

Just to confirm the £40k tax threshold position for any prospective buyers, I had my dealer confirm today you can deduct the following from the ROTR price:
First year VED - £160
Delivery Fee - £630
Registration Fee - £55

So an extra £845 you have to play with on the configurator before you’ll be stung for the extra £310 per year for the first 5 years.

I was whistling because I did explain that most of the OTR costs can be deducted and no one believed me in the other thread...:wink::sm4:

Gotcha... based on your “my issues with options...” post I was thinking you were pouring scorn on my lack of self control when it comes to ticking boxes, not that I’ve gone mad by any stretch. Speaking of which, I’m changing my spec slightly. I’m binning the Extended LED and Sorage packs and going for the Privacy/Acoustic glass.

No I wouldn't dream of telling people how to spend their money - it's just my very hypocritical view as I spent £2k worth of options on my last new car (Megane RS).

Frustrating that you can’t spec a heated steering wheel on an S-line, especially as they come with heated seats as standard. I’m pretty sure the S4 I test drove had one. Just don’t make sense.

Also, why are electric seats with drivers memory £800 on the S-line but only £200 on the S4/RS4?

yeah I'd jump a the chance of a heated wheel. Think its cause the s4 has electric seats already, its just the memory function you are adding to it.

Yes I agree. A heated steering wheel is essential. Not sure how I will cope without one.

Alternatively I could man up or wear gloves if I am that delicate !

Gloves are a no for me. I like the feel of leather on skin.

Ooh, err...

****** dealer/tax threshold! Privacy/Acoustic glass is off and the Extended LED's/Storage packs are back on the car.

£630 delivery fee is not deductible.

3rd world problems, huh.

****** dealer/tax threshold! Privacy/Acoustic glass is off and the Extended LED's/Storage packs are back on the car.

£630 delivery fee is not deductible.

3rd world problems, huh.

Yet another crazy idea from our current weak and wobbly government . What possible benefit does the £40k limit achieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storage fbsw then aftermarket privacy. Pretty good these days and cheaper than factory. Then email your MP and ask what Muppets introduce a £40k limit and why?

Dealer is going to recommend a couple of places. Had asked if they could organise in time for collection but they weren't keen.

Best quote I got so far is £198 but off the interweb so unsure of quality. Detailer I'm booked in with for ceramic protection has said he'll get it sorted whilst the car is in his possession, so I may take him up on the offer.

Yet another crazy idea from our current weak and wobbly government . What possible benefit does the £40k limit achieve?

One of the most intriguing theories I've come across is that the £40k threshold is a means of discouraging such large consumer debt on car finance. Low interest rates and this bull market can't go on indefinitely...! I would hope one of the symptoms of this rule is not just cheaper RRP, with more standard equipment (since no one will want to add options), but more affordable EV cars. Having an EV and still paying £310 in VED will be a difficult pill to swallow...

In general though, it never ceases to astound me how powerful the VED is psychologically in driving car buying habits. Even on this forum with massive car enthusiasts who are typically willing to pay whatever it costs to get their dream car, the general consensus is that they will do anything to keep the cost below £40k! We also saw how powerful it was in the past in driving diesel sales, which the then government used to reduce CO2 to hit national targets.

This is despite the fact that it generally represents a very small cost relative to the total cost of ownership. People don't bat an eyelid at paying thousands for finance for example...literally just giving money to car companies for nothing! At least the VED funds go towards road maintenance (allegedly...).

Reactions: Jsmills
One of the most intriguing theories I've come across is that the £40k threshold is a means of discouraging such large consumer debt on car finance. Low interest rates and this bull market can't go on indefinitely...! I would hope one of the symptoms of this rule is not just cheaper RRP, with more standard equipment (since no one will want to add options), but more affordable EV cars. Having an EV and still paying £310 in VED will be a difficult pill to swallow...

In general though, it never ceases to astound me how powerful the VED is psychologically in driving car buying habits. Even on this forum with massive car enthusiasts who are typically willing to pay whatever it costs to get their dream car, the general consensus is that they will do anything to keep the cost below £40k! We also saw how powerful it was in the past in driving diesel sales, which the then government used to reduce CO2 to hit national targets.

This is despite the fact that it generally represents a very small cost relative to the total cost of ownership. People don't bat an eyelid at paying thousands for finance for example...literally just giving money to car companies for nothing! At least the VED funds go towards road maintenance (allegedly...).

I suspect EV's are one of the reasons VED has changed. Under the old standard you wouldn't pay anything for them so the government had to change policy or face ever decreasing revenues as the population (inevitably) migrates to electric cars.

You are right though... for me the thought of paying the additional levy is a hard pill to swallow even if in the total cost of ownership it's pretty immaterial.

Reactions: DrEskimo
I suspect EV's are one of the reasons VED has changed. Under the old standard you wouldn't pay anything for them so the government had to change policy or face ever decreasing revenues as the population (inevitably) migrates to electric cars.

You are right though... for me the thought of paying the additional levy is a hard pill to swallow even if in the total cost of ownership it's pretty immaterial.

They still pay nothing, but obviously face the £40k tax threshold on the RRP. So Zoe’s and Leaf’s are OK...Tesla’s not so much! Be interesting to see how the Model 3 RRP here in the UK shapes up due to this! A RRP of £35k for the basic model won’t leave much room for options or upgraded versions...

Could possibly be a reason for a dip in new car sales, but continued increase in used car sales if the latest AutoTrader figures are anything to go by too.

I think the main reason for the flat rate of £140 is that pretty much all new diesels and petrol are now low CO2. I think it reflects a loss of revenue from more efficient ICE (ironically the entire point..!), rather than potential long term loss in EV. I mean EV still represents <5% of the market share despite rapid growth, so plenty time still for whatever Government is in charge to start changing the rules to account for that loss in revenue!!

Oh and I don’t blame you for not wanting to pay an extra £310...I would be the same. I still look at VED and am no less guilty of being swayed by its magical powers than anyone else...!

He probably can buy a £40k car BECAUSE he quibbles about £6/week.

Reactions: S3m91, Jsmills and cuke2u
The new car market was down nearly 25% last year as a result of general financial uncertainty due (according to the media) to Brexit.
New car registrations 2001 2017 2

And which engine version has shown the greatest reduction in sales, diesels I suspect...

Diesels have dropped more than petrol but the reduction overall is pretty grim. Managed to sell my 66 Diesel EU6 within 3 days. According to dealers I know it is generally grim. BMW have fields of unsold cars locally.

Last edited:
It is strange though that the figures given in post #67 seem to disagree with these https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/uk-2017-car-sales-analysis-winners-and-losers/ who state that in the uk sales have only dropped by a little over 5%. As car sales have been surging over the last few years it could simply be just an adjustment and little can be read into it yet or you could just read the figures in a different way..

The difference was I thought down to numbers versus cash. Car sales have dropped by nearly 25% (number of cars) . Value of sales has fallen by less because of car prices rising significantly as a result of Brexit and the devaluation of the £. Ask any economist who is being honest rather than on a weak and wobbly payroll. Maybe Car Magazine is owned by Murdoch?

Last edited: