Don't moan about the S3 insurance guys!

S32B

Reaction score
Last March my S3 renewal was £272 :)

I bought the A5 in October and they charged me about £16 to change over. I've just had the full renewal and it was £402...almost 50% more than the S3 last year!!! I've tried everyone and that's as cheap as I can get it!

I called AXA and asked how a high performance car with 300bhp can be 50% cheaper to insure than one with 190 BHP?

Reply: "It's not all about the power, it also takes into consideration repair costs of the model, how many claims have been made on a specific make/model" then the normal "all insurance has gone up bla bla bla". I mentioned about how many S3's have gone missing in the last 12 months and he said he can't comment :)

So I can only assume more people prang their big lumps of A5's and make claims that way, more so than the S3's being stolen!!! Best he could get it down to was £396, not too bad I suppose when some on here are paying £4,000 :p But still a shock being more than the S3!!!

Just a small detail missing here though buddy....

How much would it be to insure a S3 today...? (Likewise, how much would it have cost you to insure a A5 last March?)

If your quote for a S3 this year is £500 then it is just a symptom of all insurance premiums going up, not that the A5 is more expensive to insure...!

Insurance did shoot up something chronic. My S5 was around the £350 mark when I had it last year, and renewals were going to be around the £500 if I kept it...

Reactions: Jassyo06
27 years old with 5 years of owning a car: S3, £1900 a year. A5, £1500 a year. Both with £400 in excess. I think in general you have nothing to moan about :whistle2:

Are you telling me someone on here are paying £4.000 in insurance?! From UK?

Ouch! It is not unknown for a renewal to jump up considerably, but far less common for all other 'market' prices to be so.......my wife's XC60 was around £280~ last year, renewal was £380~ and ended up paying around £280~ after looking around. Weird thing with this case, though, is that last year's insurer was a brokerage and the actual insurer on the policy is the same as this year, so it seems the broker was trying to get extra £s :-?

I had the opposite, I had a 1.2 diesel corsa and went straight into a FL S3, the corsa on a multiyear policy was £490 the previous year, the S3 for 13 months (due to the corsa having a month left on its policy they swapped it over until the whole policy renews) was only £450??? im 23 6 years NCB

My FL S3 has always been cheaper to insurance than my previous PFL 1.4 A3, could never understand that either :blink:

Just re-newed last night. £462 Coperative with 9 years protected no-claims bonus. 28 years old with the lady as a named driver. Up £40 from last year. No too bad considering.

I can understand how insurance companies would look at model specific claims, imagine how many company car A3's there are on the roads compared to S3's.

My s3 last year was 300ish... This year is is 500...****** ridiculous but what can you do

Last March my S3 renewal was £272 :)

I bought the A5 in October and they charged me about £16 to change over. I've just had the full renewal and it was £402...almost 50% more than the S3 last year!!! I've tried everyone and that's as cheap as I can get it!

I called AXA and asked how a high performance car with 300bhp can be 50% cheaper to insure than one with 190 BHP?

Reply: "It's not all about the power, it also takes into consideration repair costs of the model, how many claims have been made on a specific make/model" then the normal "all insurance has gone up bla bla bla". I mentioned about how many S3's have gone missing in the last 12 months and he said he can't comment :)

So I can only assume more people prang their big lumps of A5's and make claims that way, more so than the S3's being stolen!!! Best he could get it down to was £396, not too bad I suppose when some on here are paying £4,000 :p But still a shock being more than the S3!!!

You have to take into account that the A5 is newer (I'm assuming this of course and possibly more expensive) - If new you will have new car replacement if you're the first owner for the first 12 months - Insurance Premium Tax has gone up from 10% to 12% and the discount rate that insurers used to get on paying big injury claims has changed dramatically and not in their favour (we're all footing this bill) - Being an insurance broker there is still no rhyme and reason sometimes though and I agree it's massively frustrating

28, 3 years no claims, 3 points, driving 8 years...s3 insurance was £600. 29, 4 years no claims, no points, driving 9 years...insurance is £1000 :wtf:

You will also have lost any ownership bonus you had with the S3. Statistically you are more likely to have an accident in a vehicle in the first 12 months of owning it, due to not having as much experience with the new vehicle. Most companies will therefore apply a discount for vehicles owned for 12 months or more. You may find it drops down again when you come to renewal.

Regards
Dan

Reactions: Jassyo06
You will also have lost any ownership bonus you had with the S3. Statistically you are more likely to have an accident in a vehicle in the first 12 months of owning it, due to not having as much experience with the new vehicle. Most companies will therefore apply a discount for vehicles owned for 12 months or more. You may find it drops down again when you come to renewal.

Regards
Dan

Strange one, never heard that before.

Just a small detail missing here though buddy....

How much would it be to insure a S3 today...? (Likewise, how much would it have cost you to insure a A5 last March?)

If your quote for a S3 this year is £500 then it is just a symptom of all insurance premiums going up, not that the A5 is more expensive to insure...!

Insurance did shoot up something chronic. My S5 was around the £350 mark when I had it last year, and renewals were going to be around the £500 if I kept it...

Smart ar5e lol, never even thought about the S3 cost this year!!! just saw the price hike and logical thinking went out of the window and the red mist was there instead :D :p Just did a quote using my old S3's reg and it came in at £400 on Gocompare!

The A5 for last year is showing £322 on the cover note, so up by £74/23% still a hike!

Like @Sparks43 said, it's a newer more expensive car, so in the big picture it's not that bad I suppose! ;)

You have to take into account that the A5 is newer (I'm assuming this of course and possibly more expensive) - If new you will have new car replacement if you're the first owner for the first 12 months - Insurance Premium Tax has gone up from 10% to 12% and the discount rate that insurers used to get on paying big injury claims has changed dramatically and not in their favour (we're all footing this bill) - Being an insurance broker there is still no rhyme and reason sometimes though and I agree it's massively frustrating
Yeah he mentioned about the injury claims change as well ;) And yes it was new on the 67 plate.

Statistically you are more likely to have an accident in a vehicle in the first 12 months of owning it
Oh thanks Mr.Cheer me up lol :p Handy to know though ;)

But even though I agree/see why it's the same, I still think 300bhp vs 190bhp for the same insurance cost!!! May just buy another S3 next time and do away with the comfy slightly older gent ride ;):p

Reactions: DrEskimo and KenL
Smart ar5e lol, never even thought about the S3 cost this year!!! just saw the price hike and logical thinking went out of the window and the red mist was there instead :D :p Just did a quote using my old S3's reg and it came in at £400 on Gocompare!

Ha...sorry :p

Well your statement is still technically true then...the S3 is £2 cheaper!

Reactions: S32B and KenL
There has been a change to the various rates involved and as such insurers are generally increasing their prices. I’m hoping next year things will be more settled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regards
Dan

Is that what you do at your company ?
Can’t be true for all companies since my current insurers want almost double (2300) for my renewal next month when I payed 1200 for th current year. And this will be my third year owning an s3.

Go figure.

Is that what you do at your company ?
Can’t be true for all companies since my current insurers want almost double (2300) for my renewal next month when I payed 1200 for th current year. And this will be my third year owning an s3.

Go figure.

Every insurer is different and like I said earlier being in the insurance business is extremely frustrating sometimes, however you are a year older, the car is a year older - There's the 2% tax increase and discount rate thing (Ogden rate is it's actual name) - You might want to check the value as if they are still using the original value that may come into it - Most insurers don't worry under £25K but over that they often increase rates to accommodate

Might be worth a look

What I will say is please check when going for cheap rates - They look appealing at the time but even simple things like Windscreen Cover can be limited to a certain amount and a genuine Audi screen isn't going to be cheap and you could end up footing a large difference.

Well that's the boring insurance bit done

Ha...sorry :p

Well your statement is still technically true then...the S3 is £2 cheaper!
:) so what we need now is a cheap to repair, rare fast car that nobody has made a claim on, that way it will be cheap to insure!?!? :p

Every insurer is different and like I said earlier being in the insurance business is extremely frustrating sometimes, however you are a year older, the car is a year older - There's the 2% tax increase and discount rate thing (Ogden rate is it's actual name) - You might want to check the value as if they are still using the original value that may come into it - Most insurers don't worry under £25K but over that they often increase rates to accommodate

Might be worth a look

What I will say is please check when going for cheap rates - They look appealing at the time but even simple things like Windscreen Cover can be limited to a certain amount and a genuine Audi screen isn't going to be cheap and you could end up footing a large difference.

Well that's the boring insurance bit done

Insurance is extremely frustrating especially for young driver (under 25’s like myself). Explained about the ‘im older, more experience, 2 year ncd now, value of the car is lower (25k now), clean license’ but nope they can’t match anywhere near what I want I can get elsewhere.

Usually it’s the smaller companies who tend to have certain policies even when it comes to genuine windscreen replacement.

Don’t understand how these companies can give you such a competitive rate (year 1 for me was 1k ish) considering the car was brand new worth 40k, and I was 18 at the time 0 no claims bonus. Then increase it twice fold over the next years and blame it on tax premium increases.

Insurance is extremely frustrating especially for young driver (under 25’s like myself). Explained about the ‘im older, more experience, 2 year ncd now, value of the car is lower (25k now), clean license’ but nope they can’t match anywhere near what I want I can get elsewhere.

Usually it’s the smaller companies who tend to have certain policies even when it comes to genuine windscreen replacement.

Don’t understand how these companies can give you such a competitive rate (year 1 for me was 1k ish) considering the car was brand new worth 40k, and I was 18 at the time 0 no claims bonus. Then increase it twice fold over the next years and blame it on tax premium increases.

I totally agree with you because that's more than a 2% tax increase - The Ogden discount rate has massively hit premiums on Motor with all insurers increasing their rates on average between 5% to 10% (some higher) + plus the tax rise and this doesn't actually account for general rises that occur as well - As soon as the rate changed they changed their reserves to account for it because if a case comes to court it's when it comes to court not when the incident occurred and therefore this new rate would apply.

Nobody knows how much it will really cost, but they all covered their a***s - I mainly do Fleet insurance and the rate rise per vehicles on these are just ridiculous even on clean risks.

Being under 25 I do feel for you as well because that has become a bit of a licence to print money, but they just say statistics don't lie - I'm unconvinced personally

im 29 own a 2010 s3 driving for 4 years 2 years ncb I pay £40 a month CHEAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk