Minor corrosion round rear hatch lock

simch

Reaction score
Today I noticed this on my Sept 2003 s3. Minor paint blistering around the rear hatch lock, on that long bit of trim. I suspect its cast ally or something, hence the corrosion from underneath.

Any idea if this is common and how Audi feel about the 10yr anti corrosion warranty..?
Anyone been successful, mine is an import car, but I presume it has the same paint warranty even if its useless!

I have te same problem on my 51 plate s3...

Class action lawsuit then........!??! lol

It could be due to water penetrating the rubber pads you press to open the tailgate as they are just under the trim you mention.
I sold my 2003 S3 last year but before it went I had a complete failure of the tailgate locking mechanism, investigation showed that the electrical terminals had corroded behind the lock.
If water is entering this general area it could be your problem, by the way the dealer suggested it was caused by washing the car to often. :no:

The roof sills started to bubble on my 99 S3 late last year, spoke to Audi over the phone, and they said not a chance. Mentioned that as I was a member of the RAC and would be speaking to there legal department. Guy changed his tune, and told me to bring the car in to be looked at by the service manger. Car was painted within two weeks. Id take it in to you local dealer and not take no for an answer.

Will try it. Mine is an import though but does have full audi history, only 2 services that is on longlife, i took it off and have had an oil change already since owning it, (Dec 06).

Car is immacualte and never had paint so it looks like it may be a visit to audi for a "chat"!

I've got the same blistering on that bit of trim... I had a quote from Amersham Audi before (they were asking £300 to fix it) I'd never considered making them do it as part of the anti-corrosion warrenty....

I'll give em a call.

I noticed blistering at top of my rear quarter near the roof a couple of weeks ago.

Phoned audi dealer, they sent a man to my house to look at it the next day, phoned me the day after to say yes it is approved under 10 year warranty.

Its in the bodyshop right now and i have a free courtesy car ( yaris 1.0l but a free car non the less ) i was quite surprised to get a courtesy car as im 19 and a lot of places only do it if your 21.

They said it is a known fault with the galvanising. He checked the car for other known areas of problems such as the rusting problem at bottom of doors renound with S3's.

Get onto them and if your local dealer says no then try another.

My car is a 2002 a3 tdi 130. 86k miles on clock and im the third owner.

Really pleased with the customer service.

I'll try reading Audi 1st, they seemed more responsive than Amersham Audi in the past.....

A3-frankie said:
I noticed blistering at top of my rear quarter near the roof a couple of weeks ago.

Phoned audi dealer, they sent a man to my house to look at it the next day, phoned me the day after to say yes it is approved under 10 year warranty.

Its in the bodyshop right now and i have a free courtesy car ( yaris 1.0l but a free car non the less ) i was quite surprised to get a courtesy car as im 19 and a lot of places only do it if your 21.

They said it is a known fault with the galvanising. He checked the car for other known areas of problems such as the rusting problem at bottom of doors renound with S3's.

Get onto them and if your local dealer says no then try another.

My car is a 2002 a3 tdi 130. 86k miles on clock and im the third owner.

Really pleased with the customer service.

Good job, which dealer is that Frankie?

it was coventry, they then put me through to coventry listers audi/vw bodyshop (also in coventry )

I dealt with John.

hmmm, not far from me!! I may give them a go!

the strip of metal trim that forms the boot handle, is quite a common thing to corrode. happens so easiley due to the fact they are alu.

VAGMAN1 said:
the strip of metal trim that forms the boot handle, is quite a common thing to corrode. happens so easiley due to the fact they are alu.

Indeed, mine is blistering but I bought a spare one off fleabuy which I'm going to attempt to spray myself :) It's all in the preparation :)

Stewart said:
Indeed, mine is blistering but I bought a spare one off fleabuy which I'm going to attempt to spray myself :) It's all in the preparation :)

make sure you get a nice clean brush or roller!! lol

Just back from Reading Audi. They're submitting a report for me to have the warrenty work done (the guy mentioned that it (the boot door handle trim) used to be covered for 3 years but they've extended it to 12). He said it was common and shouldn't be a problem to be fixed under warrently. (Mine's a 2001 51reg)

He also said the roof channels tend to go near the back.. had a look and... low and behold mine has started bubling there too. So that should be covered at the same time.

Fingers crossed :)

Cheeky Amersham Audi for quoting me £300ish for fixing the trim (and not mentioning the warrenty themselves).. especially after their £650 quote to fix a dipping headlamp that just needed the motor replacing.