Facelift A3 Front Windscreen

mistac

Reaction score
Unfortuneatley, during the recent cold spell, as a result of me using my fingertips (not nails as I don't have any!) to scatter the remainder of the frost particles off the screen (after I had already used deicer to soften the frost) it appears as though I have somehow managed to create two "S"/zigzag effect scratches - I have taken it to an independent car glass place for advice but basically they do not want to touch it and like most glass places the general advice is to replace the screen and I may now have to do this via my insurance as the effect whilst not visible at all times is quite noticeable and annoying in certain light conditions and of course is right in my central line of vision!

I recently also had some minor cosmetic bits done via a mobile guy (which I was very happy with) and mentioned it to him - he had a go at improving it but did say it may not work and may make it slightly worse if not successful. If anything it is now slightly worse so although I am reluctant to do so, I am now looking at getting it replaced so the questions are

a) can I get it replaced under fully comp insurance if it is not broken/cracked but is causing me a vision/safety issue?

b) as the original screen has the Audi four rings branding etc, can I insist on the same glass/type of replacement?

I have ACC fitted if that makes any difference to the windscreen!

Cheers

Have you tried polishing them out? Glass cannot be scratched by frozen water and fingers so I am at a loss to understand how this happened...

Unfortuneatley, during the recent cold spell, as a result of me using my fingertips (not nails as I don't have any!) to scatter the remainder of the frost particles off the screen (after I had already used deicer to soften the frost) it appears as though I have somehow managed to create two "S"/zigzag effect scratches - I have taken it to an independent car glass place for advice but basically they do not want to touch it and like most glass places the general advice is to replace the screen and I may now have to do this via my insurance as the effect whilst not visible at all times is quite noticeable and annoying in certain light conditions and of course is right in my central line of vision!

I recently also had some minor cosmetic bits done via a mobile guy (which I was very happy with) and mentioned it to him - he had a go at improving it but did say it may not work and may make it slightly worse if not successful. If anything it is now slightly worse so although I am reluctant to do so, I am now looking at getting it replaced so the questions are

a) can I get it replaced under fully comp insurance if it is not broken/cracked but is causing me a vision/safety issue?

b) as the original screen has the Audi four rings branding etc, can I insist on the same glass/type of replacement?

Cheers
Just take a hammer to your windscreen, job done!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GW1 and S32B
Yes, polishing has been attempted and if anything may have made it slightly worse (certainly not better) - I have been told by more than one knowledgeable "glass" person that unless the scratch is very fine, unlike paint you can't easily polish glass - if that is wrong I am all ears on how to rectify it and would be willing to pay for it to be professionally removed if this is possible as this is preferential to having it replaced! However, I obviously don't want to pay for a repair that turns out unsuccessful & then have to pay for an insurance replacement.

I too am puzzled about how easily this happened - I did not use excessive fingertip force but am 99% sure this occurred after doing this - I am quite fussy about windscreen mark/scratches and only (and instantly) noticed it after this. I am sure I would have noticed it before if it was already present.
Its ****** annoying whatever happened! I could try to photo it, but it is not easy to capture via this method and depending on lighting etc is either far more or less noticable

#

That is one option, but I would be interested to hear from others what the likely insurers response (LV in my case) would be if I said it was for vision/safety reasons?

I'd just do what Jfazzie says, crack the screen then go through insurance

If you do though, insist on AUDI glass and not unbranded

ACC (Adaptive cruise control) uses a sensor mounted in the front valance so wont be affected by a new windscreen. You will have a sensor in the mirror base plate for the auto lights and wipers if you have them fitted to the car. Its no problem for Gavin, I had a new screen fitted to my Golf and he sorted the sensors out no problem

Unless your fingertips are impregnated with diamond grit, or you’re some kind of superhero with superhero powers, I’m really struggling to understand how this happened.

If you do though, insist on AUDI glass and not unbranded
Been told aftermarket screen fitters(autoglass, autowindscreens)don't have access to factory screens. Only ones like Pilkington. Just had mine done with several issues thst I'm asking help on. If you can live with it I would.

Have you ever used a scraper on it? I scratched the windscreen on a company car years back using one, since they I only use Prestone de-icer, the heater and never scrape it!

Prestone de-icer is great stuff and doesn't freeze up again like others do! Costco sell 6 cans for about £7

571143_R_Z001

lol that's the direct solution for sure :D

Been told aftermarket screen fitters(autoglass, autowindscreens)don't have access to factory screens. Only ones like Pilkington. Just had mine done with several issues thst I'm asking help on. If you can live with it I would.
AutoGlass fitted an 'OEM' windscreen for me...granted I had to fight for it with the claims department after they insisted on a non branded screen.

Reactions: rajeevx5
After a major stone chip in ?Zone A, it was replaced with a Pilkington one; no complaints, it was acoustic glass and had less of the waviness/distortion at the edges than the Audi branded one.

Looks like you've been told lies mate, I have had my windscreen replaced twice by autoglass and I have insisted both times to have Audi Original Glass to be fitted. They asked my insurer if they will pay extra for original glass and then order the glass.Both times I have had to wait 2 weeks for the repair as they tell me they've ordered the glass from the audi factory in germany. I also have the lane assist camera which needs to be re calibrated after a windscreen change.

Unless your fingertips are impregnated with diamond grit, or you’re some kind of superhero with superhero powers, I’m really struggling to understand how this happened.

me too - but I cant put it down to anything else - I know it sounds odd but I have no other explanation

Looks like you've been told lies mate, I have had my windscreen replaced twice by autoglass and I have insisted both times to have Audi Original Glass to be fitted. They asked my insurer if they will pay extra for original glass and then order the glass.Both times I have had to wait 2 weeks for the repair as they tell me they've ordered the glass from the audi factory in germany. I also have the lane assist camera which needs to be re calibrated after a windscreen change.
It's going in Friday for a new screen as this one is ****. See my post. Looking for someone with an 8v to take a picture of the sensor as I'm not convinced with the make up of the new one. Will insist on oem if that's the case.

Have you ever used a scraper on it? I scratched the windscreen on a company car years back using one, since they I only use Prestone de-icer, the heater and never scrape it!

Prestone de-icer is great stuff and doesn't freeze up again like others do! Costco sell 6 cans for about £7

571143_R_Z001

lol that's the direct solution for sure :D

no, refuse to use those plastic scrapers as I did cause scratch issues on a previous car so learnt my lesson (or so I thought!) - previous car I put up with it as it was shortly before pcp renewal - this time it is not and I don't think I can put up with it as it is, so something will need doing , but do not know solution as yet

Reactions: S32B

Brutal but I like your analysis of the situation

Reactions: Jimbo10, jfazzie and Rolly12
I had a new one last year. Old one was Audi branded (but made by AGC as the fitter checked), new one was made by AGC. I think it's just the four rings that make the difference if you go OEM.

This was Autoglass BTW.

And if you do, many thanks for
Brutal but I like your analysis of the situation
Although another way to look at it, the reason why I am paying more on my insurance than I should be...

Reactions: GW1
I'm trying very hard not to be a killjoy, but that's fraud.

No different to 'spilling' a glass of cheap red wine on a carpet you're sick of or into the back of an outdated telly because you fancy a new one on the cheap.

If it is different, and I'm wrong, I'm quite happy to stick my hat in the toaster and put some Marmite on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL
All sorted - paid £30 and a local guy from "screen rescue" came out and removed them, I had received prior advice indicating it was very unlikely to work but it did! - kept original screen and no insurance bother so all good

Reactions: cuke2u and KenL

Is that not fraud and the kind of thing that makes insurance more expensive for the rest of us?

Reactions: SamR92, MaffewEM, cuke2u and 2 others
All sorted - paid £30 and a local guy from "screen rescue" came out and removed them, I had received prior advice indicating it was very unlikely to work but it did! - kept original screen and no insurance bother so all good

May be useful for others with streaks, do you happen to know what they did or the 'procedure' etc so if anyone else has this they can try whatever you've had done.

Glad it's fixed though, nothing worse than something making your line of sight funny.

Reactions: KenL
it was a combination of several different grades of paper/pads on a polisher, bit of water and bit of cleaning paste etc - took probably 30-45 mins and he said it was some new technique that no longer leaves a distortion/bifocal effect on screen - all seems good so far

After a major stone chip in ?Zone A, it was replaced with a Pilkington one; no complaints, it was acoustic glass and had less of the waviness/distortion at the edges than the Audi branded one.

Mine came with a Pilkington one from the factory.