What to use and why on silver, white and grey

Would I need a special shampoo to wash with as well?

I was thinking of Duragloss 901 or Poorboys World Super Slick & Suds Shampoo?

Having just cleaned the motor, I have some observations to share of my experience of the Acrylic Kit, which I had first used ten days ago and not washed the car since (did the wheels 7 days ago):

1. Water didn't sheet off quite as I had imagined it would, but was a lot better than just the factory finish obviously...to be honest don't quite know what to expect, after watching so many Megs videos etc. Will be investing in either a Gilmour or possibly getting a new pressure washer, foam lance etc. shortly after seeing how gleaming the car was just rinsing the dust off...amazing finish just with a rinse...

2. A weeks worth of bugs on the front bumper etc. came off with just a normal glide over with a lambswool mitt...very very pleased, as they have been baked on without rain for 10 days...last week when I cleaned her before the treatment, the were a bitch to completely remove.

3. Didn't feel half as glass like (washed with the Jeffs shampoo) when I came to give her the once over with Jeffs acrylic Gloss after first drying with a Megs water magnet, almost dull in fact. The Gloss however goes on great, although I think I am using too much as it is a third gone after two applications. The car is gleaming again, love the Gloss.

4. I used Jeffs Prime Strong on the alloys last week and then Poorboys Wheel Sealant...but only on the front two as I ran out of time.

I really feel that the wheels, although having less dirt on them than usual, were harder to clean at the front.

My other query is should I apply Gloss on the wheels over the sealant (I assume the sealant is a wax)?

All in all, not having tried anything else bar AG, I am more than happy with the Acrylic Kit. My only disliking of it, is that the two coral towels seem quite naff compared to some Megs ones that I have.

[URL="http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb140/normanstephens/DSCF0023ps.jpg"][URL="http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb140/normanstephens/DSCF0023ps.jpg"][/URL][/URL]

Valuable feedback, much appreciated, and some of it against the norm! Not sure why you found the wheels harder to clean, Poorboys Wheel Sealant is very slick once buffed, so should have made it easier? Certainly no need to use Glos over it (which would be fine though, as the sealant is a sealant, not a wax, despite it's appearance). Regarding the feel of the paint after washing, see how you find it after a few more coats of Acrylic Jett are on - in my experience it gets slicker and slicker, with mental sheeting and beading when you exceed 4-5 coats. Final surprise, Deluxe Mega Towels naff?! What are you comparing them too? :)

WX51TXR said:
Valuable feedback, much appreciated, and some of it against the norm! Not sure why you found the wheels harder to clean, Poorboys Wheel Sealant is very slick once buffed, so should have made it easier? Certainly no need to use Glos over it (which would be fine though, as the sealant is a sealant, not a wax, despite it's appearance). Regarding the feel of the paint after washing, see how you find it after a few more coats of Acrylic Jett are on - in my experience it gets slicker and slicker, with mental sheeting and beading when you exceed 4-5 coats. Final surprise, Deluxe Mega Towels naff?! What are you comparing them too? :)

PS - I love your car... if I had the cash it's the colour I would have for sure.

As far as the wheel sealant goes, I just found that although the wheels were very slick, I found that there were more concentrated deposits and spotting in certain areas...still happy it's the way to go and will be doing my rear wheels inside and out tomorrow...I can't really see me having the wheels off every couple of months just to do the inside though I am afraid. I am going to stick to just re-doing the outsides...

I am comparing the mega towels to Megs supreme shine micofibre towels which I just find more lush and bigger, with a similar texture on either side...to be fair the mega towels (I assume they are) that I have are yellow with a coral edging as opposed to coral in the main colour...

Again, I don't have much experience with quality products so I am hardly one to really crticise anything...although the Poorboys velvet smooth glass towel has been confined to a bag, I have washed it three times and it is still leaving lint on my glass!

How often should I be using the Acrylic Jett?

And lastly, when I get dried water marks on glass they seem impossible to remove with glass cleaner (Megs NXT), yet they remove ok form the paint just with the Gloss. Any tips?

Thanks for your comments about the silver...it does look stunning on the S3, especially on a bright day...and with the treatment on it it gleams even when a bit dirty...very happy all in :icon_thumright:

Hmm, you're not the first person to say the yellow DMT's don't seem as plush and soft as the coral one's. I usually order the coral, but this time Poorboy's were out so yellow it was - might make sure I stock up on coral only in the future.

I tend to apply Acrylic Jett Trigger every 4-6 weeks, or more often when show season is in full swing.

Strange problem with the glass towel, not one I've encountered before, but if you send it back I'll swap it for another towel type if that helps?

Water marks on glass; I use Glos on both paint and glass, and it cleans the windows beautifully, taking minor drying marks with it. It would be worth trying this (you can also clean/seal the glass with Prime Acrylic, something I do 3-4 times a year - this deep cleans the glass, and encourages it to bead much like Rain X would do).

:)

Rich,

Don't worry about the glass towel, have washed it several times more to get rid of any "lint", if it's still crap then I will keep it for scrubbing the engine bay...

Didn't really contemplate using the Prime on glass...will give that a go if it ever stops raining...as for using Gloss on the glass as well...I may have to avoid that or I will be spending 20 quid a month on the stuff.

Cheers for your help.

Rich,

Am looking for a little advice here....if i give you a list of products that i have....would it be possible for you to categorise them for me...and also point me in the right direction of what order etc...and what would be best/not good ontop of what....how many coats etc???

Clearkote Vanilla Moose Wax Hand Glaze
Clearkote Moose Wax
Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish
Meguairs Gold Class

I also have Poorboys Wheel Sealant. Would you recommend leaving this on as the last coat, or going over this coat with another product??

Thanks alot for your advice in advance, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, I have no experience of Chemical Guys products, so can't help with regard to the mirror finish one mentioned, but as far as the rest go, I can say the following. The Clearkote products mentioned are ace; the Vanilla Moose Glaze is a nice finishing polish/glaze, and provides a nice base for wax finishes on silver. The Carnauba Moose Wax is a decent liquid carnauba that is easy to work with and gives a nice finish. Megs Gold Class is best left on the shelf in my opinion; it's got too much polish in it to be a decent wax, and as a one step product it fails on the durability front. Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is best left as the last protective coating on alloys, but it can be used over other sealants if you fancy laying down a basecoat of protection first; we often do this using Jeffs Werkstatt Prime Strong. Hope that helps! :)

Rich - you're obviously getting great results with the Jeff's stuff, but I was just wondering if you'd used the CG Jetseal 109 yet and how you thought it compared to the Jeff's acrylic?

It seems to be getting rave reviews from just about everyone who's used it!?

I've not tried it as there is little chance of us ever being able to stock CG products, and I don't like to test products that I won't be able to stock if I like them! :)

OK Rich - Fair enough I guess! I'll see if any of the other guys on DW have any experiences. The only reason I asked here was that Polished Bliss pretty much seem to the the only pro outfit that uses/recommends it!

If yuou don't mind me asking (Feel free to tell me to mind my own business!)- But I'm assuming the reason you can't stock CG products is because of your Z contract? How come you can stock Jeff's, Blackfire, Meg's, Mez and PB' etc?

Not at all, more like the UK distributor for CG (CarWashnWax) is based in Glasgow, and there would be signifciant overlap in terms of the Scottish customer base. David who runs CarWashnWax is a top guy, but because deals solely in CG products, he doesn't want too many people stocking the range. The Zymol contract doesn't in any way affect what we can sell or what we use when we detail; it's just an extra facet to our business. :)

Hey Rich,

How would i get the white marks left on the rubber seals? The ones that appear if i have accidentally put polish onto it. (p.s. they have been there for a while now)

Try gently scrubbing with a little diluted all-purpose cleaner (Like Meg's APC) and a small detail brush or soft paintbrush. Then follow up with some rubber dressing (Something like AG's Bumper Care or CG's New Look Trim Gel).

Apparently smooth peanut butter does a good job too?! Haven't tried it myself though!

jvbates said:
Try gently scrubbing with a little diluted all-purpose cleaner (Like Meg's APC) and a small detail brush or soft paintbrush. Then follow up with some rubber dressing (Something like AG's Bumper Care or CG's New Look Trim Gel).

Apparently smooth peanut butter does a good job too?! Haven't tried it myself though!

Thanks will give it ago next time. Peanut butter..? i would haves flys stuck to the rubber if i used that. :)

Lol, not tried the peanut butter option, but apparently it works. My advice is either an APC or P21S Total Auto Wash worked in using a Megs Triple Duty Detail Brush (or an old, soft toothbrush). Once clean, leave bare and avoid polishing them again in the future! :)

On my list of things to do! Yes, it is - Jeffs simply changed brand name to Werkstat instead of Jeffs Werkstatt, so products remain unchanged. :icon_thumright: