Self locking when you leave the car running ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi ,

I've been to a few jobs in my line of work where people have got out of their car with the engine running, closed the drivers door, and the locks have locked preventing them getting back in. Why people ring the fire service over it is beyond me .

With that in mind, if I get out and leave my 2015 A4 Allroad engine running to warm up on a morning / clear the ice 'n snow off, will the locks lock after a while ??

If it makes a difference, I've got the doors lock feature when when you drive away thing disabled, 'cause I think if you're involved in a crash, you should be in a position to get be able to get out, or someone else get you out, in an emergency.

Cheers,
Graeme.

With my 2010 A4 the doors will only re-lock if I unlock the doors and don't open any doors. If I open a door it wont re-lock until I drive away.

Presuming Audi have the same standards of safety as BMW, the auto-lock doors will auto-unlock on an impact.

And agree with EXSpartan36, you shouldn’t be in any danger of re-locking unless you can get it started without opening a door.

As above, proper cars with central locking should always auto-unlock on an impact, that has been the case for at least 30 years or more. Similarly the electric fuel pump supply will get stopped for obvious reasons as soon as "sparking" has stopped.

Presuming Audi have the same standards of safety as BMW, the auto-lock doors will auto-unlock on an impact.

And agree with EXSpartan36, you shouldn’t be in any danger of re-locking unless you can get it started without opening a door.

I didn't know that . Common sense I suppose, so no doubt Audi will be the same.

Thanks for the replies .