S4 & S-Line door blade refurb and swap over.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Since the weather was not really ideal for car washing I decided to start refurbing my 2nd set of S4 door blades, all started well until I reached the last blade.
Now I messed up my last set and had no plans to make the same mistake again, but sure enough there was a problem with it, I knew they were used and in good useable condition when I bought them but wasn't aware of the rust that had occurred behind the plastic mounting guide, three blades were perfect but one had a slight bulge and on closer inspection it was rust that was pushing out the plastic mouting rail.

I was a bit gutted at this point , but I was going to sort it somehow , I carefully removed the plastic rail from the blade and the metal fixing behind was total shot with rust, now whilst I was at it I noticed that the plastic back section which holds the blade to the door can be removed, it is abit fiddly but it will come apart and you are left with an empty blade cover and a mounting plate .
So after thinking about the way forward I relised that both the S4 and the S-Line blades use the same mounting plate , its just the exterior cover that is wider with the S4 blades.
Just to make sure I wasn't loosing the plot I removed my s-line blade and compared the two mounting plate sections, they are identical.

The solution is now very straight forward, just get an S-line door blade that is for the same door , remove the door mounting plate from it and fit to the S4 cover and it will be job done.

So at this point I've sanded and filled them ready to do a final prep then painting , ordered another S-line blade which will be here on Tuesday , and I may be done.
Another bonus now is that I can repair the one I messed up from the first set the same way and sell them on, its a win, win situation ......oh sometimes things have to go right in my life..lol

To anyone looking to do the s4 blade swap, don't be put off if one or more is damaged as mine were, it is fixable and not difficult either.
The second set cost me just over £100 door to door from Germany , plus the s-line blade from ebay £18.00 and the paint £10.00 , its cost me a shade under £140.00 all in and fitted, there is no way you can get a set new for that , well try finding a used set for that fitted.

Pics so far , i'll wack some fitted pics up during the week.

IMG 0864
IMG 0865
IMG 0862
IMG 0863

Reactions: Dani_B19
Another day and better progress now, all blades painted up in " brilliant Black" to match the old bus, just waiting for the replacement S-line blade to arrive and then I can use it's mounting plate.

IMG 0873