S4 sport dif system fault

Jake1992

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently car was involved in a minor bump from behind where it had to be taken to a garage to have a new rear number. (Through Insurance)

Today they dropped the car off and when I started it up there is a message on the display saying ‘sport differential system fault’ which was not there when they picked it up.

I rang the garage back immediately to inform them and they put me through to a mechanic in their workshop who claimed it was because there was level sensor on the front nearside that was faulty. I already knew about this as I had my diff and gearbox oils changed a few months back and my mechanic pointed it out to me. He said he’d had the battery disconnected and recconected which might be why it’s showing a fault now. They kind of fobbed me off abit so I’m going to get on to the Insurance in the morning. Obviously I don’t want to be driving the ar around if it’s something more serious.
Anyone have any ideas? It’s never shown the fault before. It’s a 2010 s4 with a stage 1 unicorn re map.

Cheers

You need to get the car scanned first,then see what codes are present

Ok, so I’ve just taken it to a friend who has plugged it in and done a report. It’s coming back with 4-WD ECU J492 which I’m presuming is something to with the Haldex Ecu.

The garage is still trying to say that it isn’t anything to do with them so it’s going to Audi on Monday to hopefully pinpoint when exactly the fault code started to occur. Nightmare!

Anyone know what could be wrong with it? After driving it, it also feels abit different, like it’s trying to pull abit faster when I’m sat in traffic and it’s making a few funny sounds when coming to a stop and setting off again. Feels gearbox/dif related.

Cheers

It’s coming back with 4-WD ECU J492 which I’m presuming is something to with the Haldex Ecu.

Well J492 is indeed the AWD controller. Do you mean there was nothing else reported? No DTC (diagnostic trouble code)?
I have read reports of owners having sports diff problems after road debris hits it from below (it is quite exposed under the car), but it seems unlikely that a minor bump would affect it. But unfortunately the sports diff is one of the items on the B8 which has "questionable" reliability, especially in an early model.

A VCDS scan should have a date/time on it when it occurred. It isn't clear what system your mate has, but the car stores the time/mileage and speed (if relevant) when the fault occurred.