20” Rotors terrible in snow

Cumdog

Reaction score
Does anyone else have real difficulty with 20” rotors in the snow?

After becoming stuck a few weeks ago in relatively little snow I fitted a full set of new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and expected a significant improvement however the car still really struggles in any snow, ice or slush. Got stranded today in slow moving traffic during a snow shower which was turning to ice when hitting the ground.

Have neighbours in rear wheel drive cars that don’t seem to struggle as badly.

Is it perhaps poor tyre choice? Hoping I am not alone!

Cheers

Summer tyres in winter... don't work too good below 7 degrees .

Choose Michelin CrossClimate+ or downsize a spare set of wheels and full winter tyres .

Summer tyres in winter... don't work too good below 7 degrees .

Choose Michelin CrossClimate+ or downsize a spare set of wheels and full winter tyres .

Exactly and perhaps driver competence. I have exactly the same alloys and regularly drive to the Pyrenees without and issues. I also run summer tyres, Falken Azenis F453

All about the tyres!

Ive got the standard fit Pirellis on mine, and i never got stuck once. I also had to plow through 12" on the inlaws driveway.

Attachments

• 20180307_081556.png
    20180307_081556.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 117
Reactions: L80EWY and Rhyso
My Pilot Sport 4's worked a dream on mine last week, we had 6 inches of snow too.

S3 with 18" rotors and DSG.

I'm running 19's with Goodyear Assy3's and I never got stuck in about 8-10 inches of snow; I was very impressed with the ability of the car to find traction.

In terms of outright grip then they aren't great. A lot of people confuse traction and grip........just be gentle with the throttle :)

I think it's down to the tyres.

My quattro did absolutely fine in the snow with Dunlop SP SportMaxx

Reactions: L80EWY
As above, you need to turn T/C off for it to half useful - I forgot that not everyone thinks to do this so didn't mention it lol

How wide are the tyres on your 20" wheels? The wider they are then the more challenging it is on snow.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

255/35 is the standard fit on the 20's.

I turn the traction control off also, force of habit in any car when it snows to be honest.

Reactions: Vishal Tween
It’s why I only did 1 winter with rotors on and then bought a set of winters, lovely skinny 18”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. The car is fwd (unlike some of the Quattro replies) and leased with maintenance through VWFS so I don’t get a say on tyre choice.

I appreciate that summer tyres aren’t ideal but I’ve never had issues with my previous A4 on 19” rotors. The guy at ATS said the issue was the width.

Will be steering clear of Michelin in future and hoping that my wife’s incoming A4 on 19” rotors has another brand.

Only had the traction control set to sport as I didn’t realise you could fully disable it. Will defo do that next time.