Gutted!!

jcb

Reaction score
came back from three weeks away eager to test drive my 1.8t with newly fitted KW v3's and polybushes all round only to find my car still on the ramp!
Apparently they couldn't get the front camber right. not even close -0.11 left and -1.21 right IIRC, meant to be within 0.5 of each other
Adjustment is normally through slackening the subframe off and sliding side to side whilst car is suspended and I have too much on one side and not enough on the other with no further movement allowed in the subframe.

measuring the lower arm geometry the number right and left don;t match up. 5mm out in one place.

having to replace lower arms to test if that is the problem. if not then it will have to go on a jog to see if the chassis is off somewhere!!

Anyone ever had geometry setting difficulty through damaged/bent suspension parts?

Na never had bent supension problems fella, mine was dropped right on its **** too, its goin in for a cv boot change next week though so I'll find out if there is any suspansion problems, my mate will check it all when its in. I'll keep you up to date dude

apparently the garage found that the geometry people hadn't slackened off some of the bolts on the subframe when they were moving it around!!
muppets!

have to wait till tomorrow to see if that sorted it!

Had mine done by Audi today. Being a complete tit I forgot to ask whether it was a long way out or not. I did notice that they'd straightened the steering wheel (it had been at a ****** angle for about 2 years - after I'd put it back on that way I might add!) and the car does seem to be less twitchy round the bends (did a run yesterday and the same again today once it had been done).

£99 all in including a courtesy car, which I didn't want to give them back TBH - '56 plate A4 2.0TDi 170(?) S-line. Didn't get a pic of it either, phone battery went tits up.

hiya joost, what exactly did you get done at audi? just having the camber set?

Hiya mate, no it was full 4 wheel alignment - caster, camber, toe in etc. Got it checked because I'd had the Eibachs fitted and a couple of the arms changed too. I got a quick gander at the printout whch seemed to be quite comprehensive. Have to say I've been on a bit of a run with it tonight round a few bendy, twisty bits and it does seem a lot better - more sure-footed so unless it's me, they've done something right!

I don't know TBH mate. Might be worth a try thought - don't ask, won't get. I can provide the invoice (or at least an image of it) if need be.

think that £99 is pretty standard TBH.
Most places outside the Audi dealers do it for £60ish, thing is if you car requires any alteration to bring ot in line then audi tend to charge more if they have to do anything like slackening a stiff olt or track rod end....

thats where they make money

my problem still exists, still won;t straighten up even with full movement on the subframe.
something bent, probably left side, likely to be a high speed understeer into a kerb by the previous driver.....could be expensive