New S3 8p 2010/11 standard - some questions pls

robtdi

Reaction score
Hi everyone
So Ive had an old 8L 1.9TDI A3 for some years now with 285K on the clock! (still going strong!) but ive had my eye on an Audi S3 2010/11 model (8p) for some time now as i want a bit of a toy to use at the weekends and stuff.
I do have some detailed questions that some of you might be able to help with before i commit to anything.

1) If i am looking at one to buy what would be the top things to look at visually (obviously its history book and stamps etc)
2) I know many on here have pointed their fingers at cam chain/belt as this is a weakness particularly if over 50k. Question is, is it a belt or chain? Also if the "belt and water pump" has been changed looking at the history does this include the chain as well?????
3)Oil pick up pipes is another big issue apparently? Cheap to replace i believe?
4) I have had a look at the Preventative Maintenance thread on this forum which is massively helpful (thank you whoever did that) and there are details of certain vital things that need doing on the car every so often. Im guessing this is paramount particularly on the above couple of points

Any help please would be absolutely amazing as im new to the S3 8L and would like some experienced feedback before i commit to buying one. My budget is around 13k
Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob,

The mainteannce thread should answer most of your questions around what to look out for - ask the seller when/if each of these was done.

1) If i am looking at one to buy what would be the top things to look at visually (obviously its history book and stamps etc)
2) I know many on here have pointed their fingers at cam chain/belt as this is a weakness particularly if over 50k. Question is, is it a belt or chain? Also if the "belt and water pump" has been changed looking at the history does this include the chain as well?????
3)Oil pick up pipes is another big issue apparently? Cheap to replace i believe?
4) I have had a look at the Preventative Maintenance thread on this forum which is massively helpful (thank you whoever did that) and there are details of certain vital things that need doing on the car every so often. Im guessing this is paramount particularly on the above couple of points

2) It's both - belt drives the exhaust cam, with the rest of the engine and then the intake cam is connected to the exhaust cam via a chain on the other side. Chain is not a service item, but cam tensioner and chain can get noisy/rattly, so should be replaced if that is the case, together with any guide rails that may have worn.

3) Yes, long life oil changes tend to make things worse - it's worth getting it checked/replaced at next major service (see link for more details) It's a case of dropping the oil, taking the sump off and unbolting the old pipe. Any competent indie should have no issues here.

Cam follower is critical to check, if this holes then cam becomes damaged aswell as fuel pump which is about 2-3k to repair.