tdi Red eye

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Reaction score
Hey,
first of all I am new to this forum.

Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me what a A4 tdi Red eye is and what is the differene between this and an ordinary tdi.

thanks

Usually means more Power/Bhp, think they are 130bhp on a red i, 110bhp on a Normal (possibly 90Bhp) but dont quote me on that as Im sure the Tdi boys will be along soon to tell you.

badgetdi.JPG

Or for a B5 A4 it signifies a 110 bhp rather than 90.

Mine is a TDI 130 and wasn't badged with a red i.I think Audi just stick any badge on them as vw often do.

Doesn't the red eye also denote it's the sports model, presumably with a different suspension setup?

the best way to check is by looking at the sticker in the wheel well of the boot. It will give the power output in KW - 96kw being the 130bhp engine..

As per the above comments on arbitrary badging, mine's a Sport, but no red I...

When i was looking at buying an A4 i looked at loads of diesel variants 110,130 sort,se and none had the red i.
If your looking at buying one do as technics100 said and look at the data sticker in the boot.

Mine is a B6 with red 'i' - it is not a sport model, but it is the 96kW engine.

I've often wondered about this. My A4 is a 130 Sport and does have the red i. Saying that its currently in the bodyshop and the badges need to be replaced as part of that work so who knows what it'll be wearing when I get it back.

To add another into the mix, does it signify anything when both the D and i are red but the T is chrome?????

Oh, and for some reason my car does not have a sticker in the boot (and its not been damaged before so its not been removed for paint) so you may not always be able to rely on that either.

Sinny71 said:
I've often wondered about this. My A4 is a 130 Sport and does have the red i. Saying that its currently in the bodyshop and the badges need to be replaced as part of that work so who knows what it'll be wearing when I get it back.

To add another into the mix, does it signify anything when both the D and i are red but the T is chrome?????

Oh, and for some reason my car does not have a sticker in the boot (and its not been damaged before so its not been removed for paint) so you may not always be able to rely on that either.

Ive seen some where all three letters TDI are in red,dont know what that means.Its weird that your car doesn't have a data sticker,i thought they all came with one.Maybe not then.

I'm sure they are all supposed to. Tried to find it when a mate came out to look at repairing a few chips. His fancy book gave a few positions to look in but we couldn't see it in any of them. I was after the paint code thoough and that was with the Service book so we found it.

james0808 said:
Ive seen some where all three letters TDI are in red,dont know what that means.Its weird that your car doesn't have a data sticker,i thought they all came with one.Maybe not then.
Just spotted in another thread that the Mk4 Golf's with a red TDI are the 150bhp model.

Is it because there are two power outputs with the 130bhp engine. A 96kw and an 88kw? Red i being the 96 kw with extra torque

130bhp = 96kW (88kW = 120bhp i.e. no such engine)
BHP/kW & torque are 2 completely different measurements.

i agree with m40rcd it tells you the BHP 100bhp have no red lettters and 130 has a Red I. the SE and Sport has no input.

VW/seat and skoda use more than two levels of BHP so they use more red letters tha Audi. all 3 letters in silver has <100bhp the letters with a Silver T and D with a red I is a 100bhp and the Silver T with D and I in red is a 130BHP VW.

very confusing!!!

It says in the manual there are two types of 130bhp engine so i'd imagine the i and red i were for the kw outputs :think:

kW is just another unit of measurement for BHP, so you can't have the same BHP with a different kW

the manual shows detals for the 130 5 speed and 130 6 speed. the 6 speed has a little more torque. Both have red I's

I was also wondering about this the other day. My last A4 was a 130 and had no red i, but my current one (same year) is also a 130 and has a red i.

Only difference between my new one and the old one that I can think of is that the new one is an SE, although I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with it.

Rich

The badging scheme is a bit haphazard but:

B5 chassis:

90bhp All silver
100bhp All silver
110bhp Red 'I'
115bhp Red 'I'

B6 chassis:

100bhp All silver
115bhp Red 'I'
130bhp Red 'DI' (can also be just Red 'I')
155/163/180 ? Red 'TDI'

I have never seen a B6 with more than The I in red, has anyone else?

Both my diesel A4s had/have red i and they were both 130bhp. One was a standard trim Quattro; other is a Sport. It does not relate to trim spec, just signifies the higher engine outputs.

Never seen an Audi with red T or D, just i.

I have.

Like the VW TDI's, which also have no definite consistency in the badge types.