Facelift Weird smell in the cabin. What can it be?

Iulix

Reaction score
Hello,

I just noticed it today, when we had some heavy snows here. It happened first time after cleaning the car of snow and getting inside it. It passed in about a minute. Secondly I noticed it when I parked the car (heavy snow also) and making a 180 degree turn. It's a burning-rotten-weird smell.

Did you experienced something like this? What can the problem be? My car has around 22k km and I got it a few weeks ago.

Thank you lads!

Never come across it. I'd suggest booking it in to your local Audi dealer for investigation.

Sounds like the cat, give it a good blast and it sould clear.

Reactions: Leevr
Thank you for your hints! If it’s the cat, should it smell inside the car?

A few updates. I noticed it only happens when I drive it in heavy snow and I’m playing with the clutch. Can the clutch itself be the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a non native english speaking person I had to read that twice before realising that no animals will be harmed during the procedure :boxing:

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn, PanamaS3 and 3 others
As a non native english speaking person I had to read that twice before realising that no animals will be harmed during the procedure :boxing:

Exactly what happened to me also, being a non-native English speaker. Haha!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Starry
Exactly what happened to me also, being a non-native English speaker. Haha!

As a native English speaker even I had to read it twice !

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, Audi Bairn, PanamaS3 and 2 others
Thank you for your hints! If it’s the cat, should it smell inside the car?

A few updates. I noticed it only happens when I drive it in heavy snow and I’m playing with the clutch. Can the clutch itself be the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it’s the clutch then it will smell hot/ burning. The cat will smell in the cabin. if your driving slowly in the snow or traffic for a length of time this can cause it to smell, a good blast right up through the revs to get the catalytic converter hot, this should burn off the smell.

If you have a 2.0tdi it maybe the auxillary cabin heater that only activates when the ambient temperature drops below 3C

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Iulix
If you have a 2.0tdi it maybe the auxillary cabin heater that only activates when the ambient temperature drops below 3C
Yes, it's the 2.0 TDI, but I highly doubt it was the auxiliary heater since the smell appeared when (apparently) moving slowly and playing with the clutch in heavy snow. Thank you for your suggestion sir!

Didn't try it without the a/c off. My a/c is always on. Will do and report back.

My Q5 started to stink and it was the a/c I used a couple of smoke bombs which neutralised the smell, I think it was a mould type build up inside the a/c system.

Reactions: Iulix
I also don't think it's the a/c either. I drive my car daily, always with the a/c on, but the smell only occurred today. I played a little bit more with the clutch to get the car out of the parking lot through the heavy snow and the smell appeared at that time. Same story with parking it when I arrived at destination. I think quattro might have kicked in, so can it be related to this? The smell is pretty close to the hot braking pads, but somehow different.

Thank you all for your suggestions :icon thumright:

It does sound like your clutch may have been slipping when you were trying to get out of the snow, and this would give a similar smell to what you experienced.

it can happen that when shipped cars are parked up at the docks and/or at storage yard prior to entering the country, rats or mice can get in and chew cables and maybe get stuck and die in the car somewhere (hence the smell maybe).....and I thought that's why you mentioned the cat also to go looking for them :) lol [I'm also native English speaker]

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, Rcord and Audi Bairn

...... or an actual cat or other creature which has taken refuge in the engine bay during the cold spell? :scared2:

Edit: sorry @PanamaS3 just read yours after I typed mine :blink:

it can happen that when shipped cars are parked up at the docks and/or at storage yard prior to entering the country, rats or mice can get in and chew cables and maybe get stuck and die in the car somewhere (hence the smell maybe).....and I thought that's why you mentioned the cat also to go looking for them :) lol [I'm also native English speaker]

It happened with a car I had some 20 years ago when a mouse somehow managed to enter the AC ducts and died there, probably because it couldn't find the way out. The stink was terrible and got stronger whith the AC on. No cats (of any kind) involved, I think. Don't know if it's possible with the 8V.

the mrs ? :congratulatory:
Haha, I actually laughed. No, she doesn't have a driving license.

...... or an actual cat or other creature which has taken refuge in the engine bay during the cold spell? :scared2:

Edit: sorry @PanamaS3 just read yours after I typed mine :blink:
It happened with a car I had some 20 years ago when a mouse somehow managed to enter the AC ducts and died there, probably because it couldn't find the way out. The stink was terrible and got stronger whith the AC on. No cats (of any kind) involved, I think. Don't know if it's possible with the 8V.

I looked under the hood for any signs of uninvited guests. Nothing. I guess the smell has to be constant and permanent if any intruder got in there.

I drove it home and went again through heavy snow again, but no issues this time. I'll see if it will happen again and maybe book an appointment with Audi. Thank you for all of your suggestions! You're really awesome!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rcord
i noticed this reversing up the drive in the deep snow the first time i drove it. Realised that it was just my brain getting confused as the front started to spin as i pulled away but rear had grip so nearly stalling then was slipping the clutch too much when the Quattro had enough grid.
Got used to it the next day when pulling out the drive in deep snow. Never happened again.
So i think its just you slipping the clutch.