Had a little prang and thoughts change to tyres

Supa Koopa

Reaction score
So I picked up my new S3 last June and have been very happy with it so far apart from the tyres it came fitted with (so much so I've not really visited this site). Unluckily my car was fitted with Hankooks and they have been much poorer than the contis I had on my previous S3. They seem happy to wheelspin in any weather condition and even when changing gears. I just put it down to them being crap and no amount of complaining was going to change it. I did think of swapping them for something useful but it seemed like a waste of £400. How wrong was I?

A week and a half ago I stupidly decided to go and get some food during the 'mini beast from the east' and set off from my house with a light covering of snow everywhere. The wheelspin setting off out of the housing estate, didn't ring any alarm bells in my head, neither did the slight slip I felt going round a corner half way to Dominoes. Well the next corner I turned right and the car thought sod that I'm going straight on. I had no traction at all and I was aiming for two really nice big sign posts. Luckily (well I thought it was lucky at the time) I hit the curb hard with the front wheel and it then bounced off hitting the rear wheel. After getting out and cursing for a few minutes I decided to try and drive it home with every warning light you can imagine on the dash and steering half way round to go in a straight line. :)

It's now at Audi as I elected to ignore my insurance company's wishes to send it to Alton Cars and they have sent me a lovely quote back. Hope you're sitting down for this £5,575. Please note there was no bodywork damage (apart from a small amount underneath the front bumper where it scraped the curb) only mechanical.

Now as one of the tyres took a big impact, enough to buckle the wheel I think it should be changed. Audi and the insurance company haven't decided on this until the tyre is taken off the wheel and examined. But my thoughts are going towards a new set of boots anyway as in my head the Hankooks had a lot to do with the crash. I feel my previous S3 was much better in the snow with the contis. Now I know this could be completely irrational and it was purely down to the conditions but once a thought gets in your head it's hard to get rid of it.

So this is a really long and boring start to a simple question really. I'm looking at a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (I can't have the 'S' because I have the standard 18's) and was wondering what people think to them in wintry conditions. I know this is all subjective as it depends on the weather at the time, but I'm just trying to get a feel of all year round suitability. I can't afford to do a set of winters and the mileage I do doesn't really warrant them anyway. I have and still am considering Michelin Cross Climates for that extra piece of mind, as this has really dented my confidence quite badly. The last accident I had was at least 8 years ago when someone decided to drive in to the side of my car, I can't remember the last time it was my fault. I love my S3 and really don't want to go through this again. I can't see me getting it back until the end of April and I'm missing it already. I don't even have a courtesy car as I've chosen my own repairer. :(

I have searched and read a lot of posts and lots seem to recommend the PS4's but no one ever mentions wintry conditions, which is obvious for a summer tyre. :)

Any help is appreciated.
Craig.

I've got the PS4 (not S as I'm 18" too), can't say I've had any problems in the S3 in the snow, yes I've not driven in ridiculous amounts. But when I was in Birmingham one evening and people were spinning all over the place trying to get up a "hill", i laughed and drove straight up without problems. Very little wheel spin, breaking distances aren't great of course but just need to "drive to the conditions"

I don't really have any other experience in the snow and can't compare to different tyres, but all I can say is I felt very safe driving 200 miles during the beast from the east in the S3.

Also... OUCH at that cost.

Thanks Oli, that's really helpful. :)

I know it's down to the conditions on the day but the Hankook's never gave me much confidence in any condition. I was driving quite slow due to the snow and the fact everyone was going slow anyway, but it just completely broke traction and I was just a passenger until it hit. I tried a few things to try and stop the inevitable but I was literally skating on ice.

Never did get the budget tyre on a premium brand though. :(

As to the cost, yeah it's quite bad really. From the outside I have 2 curbed alloys and that's all you can see, but

2 wheels,
Wheel hub,
Wheel bearing
Bearing carrier,
Drive shaft,
Power steering,
Track rods,
Tie rods,
a few nuts and bolts, 11 hours labour, 4 wheel alignment, etc.
The best bit £75 plus vat to reset the fault codes.....! :)

Not bad for travelling at less than 20 miles an hour, before hitting the brakes. So impact on curb at 15mph at worst I'd say but I was too busy to look at the speed. :)

Reactions: oli356
I have PS4S and they was not great in the snow as the rubber is not designed for that temp. Summer tyres are good for anything above 8oC anything below winter tyres are the best. Things like all season tyres are what you want but won’t be great in summer when sprinted driving is happening.

I have contis fitted on mine and they were rubbish. The back end kept wanting to spin round and the braking was iffy as well
I have had a look at the crossclimate plus as well and the reviews seem quite good. Not far off a good quality summer tyre but much better in winter weather.
Very tempted to try them out.

Have to agree with the Hankooks being crap, especially in the wet, and I’ve yet to have them in snow but that might change next week. Only driven 700 miles on them tho, so my case it could just be them settling in.

I had ContiSport 5’s in last car and they were great in wet and dry, but crap in snow. If you want something good for snow you’ll need to look at winter tyres

Out of interest, what was the tyres the cars come with? I'm aware Hankooks were one... there was a few others wasn't there?

I haven't looked at mine but pretty sure they're Dunlops 18" at a quick glance. I didn't look too much into it, I'll double check tomorrow but they seemed 'alright'

Reactions: Carefree69
Apparently winter tyres are essential. I’ve never needed them in nearly 30 years of driving, so I’m confused.

All I do is drive according to the conditions, strangely it’s worked for me so far.

Before anyone shoots me down this isn’t the sarcastic post it’s coming across as, I’m just starting to wonder whether certain tyre manufacturers summer tyres are also as good in the winter too, or I’m just Mr Lucky.:blink:

Out of interest, what was the tyres the cars come with? I'm aware Hankooks were one... there was a few others wasn't there?

I haven't looked at mine but pretty sure they're Dunlops 18" at a quick glance. I didn't look too much into it, I'll double check tomorrow but they seemed 'alright'
Hmmmm, maybe my theory might be true.

Apparently winter tyres are essential. I’ve never needed them in nearly 30 years of driving, so I’m confused.

All I do is drive according to the conditions, strangely it’s worked for me so far.

Before anyone shoots me down this isn’t the sarcastic post it’s coming across as, I’m just starting to wonder whether certain tyre manufacturers summer tyres are also as good in the winter too, or I’m just Mr Lucky.:blink:

I have to agree, in a honest opinion I reckon slow and steady, especially in snow always gets you there. The only time I've been a tad scared was driving with under 3mm of remaining tread and I managed to get the car moving but it was a bit slippery at times. But had I replaced the tyres or swapped them at that point it probably would've been much better and they were just plain 'all seasons/summer' tyres.

Hmmmm, maybe my theory might be true.

After a quick google I'm fairly sure I've got Dunlop SP Sport Maxx's - to which a few have reviewed on Blackcircles and said they're good in wet/snow/all conditions so hey ho, may have got lucky there! They did seem quite grippy.

I run PS4 and Dunlop WinterSport tyres on different wheels.
There is absolutely a difference when the weather is cold or wet or snowy but the PS4 work pretty well to a point - they are still pretty good in very cold weather but only OK in really cold wet conditions and reasonable in light snow, it is not about managing it is about being better. Non vented, non ABS brakes work fine and most of the time you never need all that capability but the one time you it is nice to have it.

For a normal UK winter I reckon the PS4 will be fine but if it is really snowy leave the car alone! Ironically my issues with the PS4 is that when the road temp is high they become very smeary and lack bite and move around a lot........I live in Europe and get cold winters but lovely warm summers, when it has snowed I can get the S3 places that 4x4 will struggle simply due to the tyres. They do not grit nor salt the roads here and it is MUCH quieter than the UK so snowy roads are left snowy with very little traffic, some of the local mountain passes require winter tyres and the way the locals race around on their winter tyres is something to behold.

It is well known around here that the best 4x4 is a jacked up Kangoo or Berlingo running winter tyres, can get anywhere in any conditions.

On BLACKCIRCLES at the moment there is a code 4MICH40 which gives you £40 off four PS4s which works out at £386 fitted for 18s

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I too drive to the conditions and have confidence in the car I drive. I've also NEVER crashed in the snow before and wasn't expecting this to happen this time. I really had no grip or control whatsoever and was a complete shock. Bear in mind there wasn't masses of snow but what there was had been compacted I guess in to just ice. Anyone with Hankooks please beware, I realise its just my opinion but they are shocking and certainly won't be using them again.

I'm leaning towards cross climates as the UK weather seems to be getting worse and with the seemingly reduced amount of gritting taking place the roads may get worse in the future. :(

If it wasn't an S3 I would've chosen them along ago but as it is the PS4's keep coming back to me and during summer they will seem like the right choice. I'm also not sure how long they are expected to last as they are a softer compound. Not really a problem as I'm still carless at the moment while the insurance company decide on whether they are going to allow Audi to fix it or not. :(

Anyone with Hankooks please beware, I realise its just my opinion but they are shocking and certainly won't be using them again.

I'm leaning towards cross climates as the UK weather seems to be getting worse and with the seemingly reduced amount of gritting taking place :(
I find the Hankooks fine in all conditions and in snow I was able to get my A4 into the same places our Michelin shod fiesta couldn't cope with...

I still don’t buy the whole winter tyre’s hype I’m afraid.

First off our winters are usually just wet and quite mild, with this years winter being the exception. Next winter will probably just be wet and mild again.

I drove virtually every day this winter through snow, ice, and floods and not once did I fear hitting a kerb/tree/car etc.

I’m not knocking anyone who goes to the expense and effort of fitting winter tyres, im just saying that for me in the U.K. they are not needed.

Canada or Iceland yes, but not here. Each to their own.

Winter tyres make a big difference even when there is no snow.

Below 7 degrees C summer tyres become a liability if your pushing on a bit or the roads are slippery.

I run a set on 18" s line alloys and even the beast from the east didn't stop my car getting about safely. I was passing other 4 wheel drive Audis and BMWs that were stuck on minor inclines.

Once you fit a set to your car you'll never be without them.