New alignment after re-tightening front suspension?

tobnh

Reaction score
I have a clunking noise in the frontend of the car, thought I'd try and loosen all of the bolts and retighten them, would I need an alignment after doing this?

To be brutally honest that is probably going to be a pointless exercise but give it a go by all means, There are loads of ball joints and bushes to wear in these as they're multi link and a search on ebay for B7 suspension arms will return loads of complete sets of new arms which says how much of an issue they are. Good practice says to get your geometry checked after disturbing suspension components but I don't think just slackening and re tightening your bolts will cause you any problems as long as you don't touch the adjuster on the track rod end.

My car has a bit of a clonk going on which I think is from the lower arm that attaches to the shocker as the bush looks suspect but I'd hate to replace them only for it to be one of the others as I can buy a full set cheaper than the individuals but not sure of the quality of some of the cheaper sets so not sure what to do as yet.

Mine was clonking on full lock really bad, changed the tyres and now its fine! Very odd but common ive heard

To be brutally honest that is probably going to be a pointless exercise but give it a go by all means, There are loads of ball joints and bushes to wear in these as they're multi link and a search on ebay for B7 suspension arms will return loads of complete sets of new arms which says how much of an issue they are. Good practice says to get your geometry checked after disturbing suspension components but I don't think just slackening and re tightening your bolts will cause you any problems as long as you don't touch the adjuster on the track rod end.

My car has a bit of a clonk going on which I think is from the lower arm that attaches to the shocker as the bush looks suspect but I'd hate to replace them only for it to be one of the others as I can buy a full set cheaper than the individuals but not sure of the quality of some of the cheaper sets so not sure what to do as yet.
I've had a clunk all winter but only when driving on icy/small bumps, not noticeable on normal bumps and it's more of a rumbling sound than clunks

Would you suggest that I just buy a new front suspension kit (exept for springs since they're fairly new)

edit: Might aswell ask in this thread instead of creating a new one, car was in to change right front wheel bearing yesterday, when I got it back I got a new noise coming from the brakes when braking, sort of like it's grinding on something, also a squealing noise pretty much all the time when driving. Asked the mechanic and he said the brakes were worn but they still had some life in them, thoughts?

If you have grinding when braking its usually due to metal on metal contact due to worn out pads, or something has contaminated the pad surface when he had the caliper off like maybe a small stone. I recently changed the front corner suspension on a 6 year old micra and it squealed terribly after reassembling which was due to a sticking pad. I have also seen pads fitted the wrong way around with the metal side touching the disc, not casting aspersions but I think it might need another look at!

There are a lot of potential noise makers on the front of these cars including the shocker so I wouldn't like to say that getting all new arms would cure the rumbling. If it was a firm knock I would say go for it but I'd hate for you to spend the money and it not cure it unless you were thinking of doing it to freshen up the front end anyway.

Mine was clonking on full lock really bad, changed the tyres and now its fine! Very odd but common ive heard

Its been discussed before that these cars don't like worn tyres which usually manifests itself with a juddering feeling on full lock. Some people had new tyres fitted by the dealers when the cars were still under warranty to cure the noise. I've had it on both 2wd and Quattro cars.

strange sounds can sometimes be narrowed down to a smaller area by the nature of the sound, different types of sounds can be generated from different situations.
Rumbles and squeels are normally found where the parts that are effected are rotational such as bearings , brake disks/pads etc , clunks and clonks are more likey to be static type issues where the parts themselves are fixed but are loose or have become worn and are no longer a secure fit such as bushing etc, or fixed parts that have become loose and are moving around , sometimes a combination of both can be to blame.
Possibly drive shaft issue or CV joint or joints aswell as they are rotational but will clonk when worn.
I'd be getting the front end jacked up and check all the bushes first for excessive play then work from there if its a clonking sound, just a though chap.

If you have grinding when braking its usually due to metal on metal contact due to worn out pads, or something has contaminated the pad surface when he had the caliper off like maybe a small stone. I recently changed the front corner suspension on a 6 year old micra and it squealed terribly after reassembling which was due to a sticking pad. I have also seen pads fitted the wrong way around with the metal side touching the disc, not casting aspersions but I think it might need another look at!

There are a lot of potential noise makers on the front of these cars including the shocker so I wouldn't like to say that getting all new arms would cure the rumbling. If it was a firm knock I would say go for it but I'd hate for you to spend the money and it not cure it unless you were thinking of doing it to freshen up the front end anyway.

Mind checking the other thread I created? Included an audio file of what it sounded like when I was braking
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/i-get-this-sound-when-im-braking.369382/

And yes I've been considering getting it all new in the front but haven't looked at the costs yet

strange sounds can sometimes be narrowed down to a smaller area by the nature of the sound, different types of sounds can be generated from different situations.
Rumbles and squeels are normally found where the parts that are effected are rotational such as bearings , brake disks/pads etc , clunks and clonks are more likey to be static type issues where the parts themselves are fixed but are loose or have become worn and are no longer a secure fit such as bushing etc, or fixed parts that have become loose and are moving around , sometimes a combination of both can be to blame.
Possibly drive shaft issue or CV joint or joints aswell as they are rotational but will clonk when worn.
I'd be getting the front end jacked up and check all the bushes first for excessive play then work from there if its a clonking sound, just a though chap.

I haven't tried checking the joints/bearing for play but I have noticed that the lower suspension shock bearing looks kinda funky, as if it's been ripped (I'm assuming it might've happened since I didn't tighten it under load... oops)