DPF Regen warning light (yellow)

DOBBO41

A3 1.6 TDI Sport 8P 2010
Reaction score
Hi ,just looking to put my mind at rest (hopefully) , dpf warning came up on the DiS today , I do a lot of shortish journeys during the week so gave the car a 30 min motorway drive and warning went off ,regen complete ,my question is how often should this need to be done? Not owned the car long and my first experiences with dpf,looking through the manual am I correct in thinking this is a normal process that needs doing every so often.
Hope it’s not a stupid question.
Cheers

Hi ,just looking to put my mind at rest (hopefully) , dpf warning came up on the DiS today , I do a lot of shortish journeys during the week so gave the car a 30 min motorway drive and warning went off ,regen complete ,my question is how often should this need to be done? Not owned the car long and my first experiences with dpf,looking through the manual am I correct in thinking this is a normal process that needs doing every so often.
Hope it’s not a stupid question.
Cheers
Hi I have same as you it's the norm . Work close to home so I try to give it a bit of a kicking every now and then. I don't worry about. When I get chance give it a blast on motorway

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You need to do a decent drive now and again, one of the Foibles of new diesel car. If you only do short journeys why buy a DERV?

You need to do a decent drive now and again, one of the Foibles of new diesel car. If you only do short journeys why buy a DERV?
I don’t only do short journeys! My choice of vehicles is not really your concern is it

Reactions: Kev57
The VAG common rail diesels are pretty good at keeping the DPFs clear by one means or another. Earlier diesel variants by several manufacturers had teething problems. If the car can't do natural regens an ECU triggered one might occur around every 400 miles. Just ensure the car is well serviced with the right low ash oil. I only do around 7,000 miles per year and have only been aware of an ECU triggered regen about 3 or 4 times - never had the warning light. The problems tend to be over-stated in my view.

Reactions: leonwilliams
I don’t only do short journeys! My choice of vehicles is not really your concern is it

This response is possibly a little harsh. In your first post you said you do a lot of short journeys during the week so @SootySport response is in context.

It’s a pretty common piece of advice throughout the forum - if you do short journeys then reconsider a diesel otherwise you need a regular long distance run for the Regen

Reactions: oldoiler and ch1z64
Soot will only burn off properly when reaching 500-600 degrees c, good way to do this is, get on a motorway and drive at 3000rpm for about fifteen to twenty minutes, to get the dpf hot enough.

Soot will only burn off properly when reaching 500-600 degrees c, good way to do this is, get on a motorway and drive at 3000rpm for about fifteen to twenty minutes, to get the dpf hot enough.
Mines did the dpf took it on motorway went Doncaster gave it a kicking fine now

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It’s only 2000RPM you need to be above, it doesn’t even matter how fast you are driving aslong as you’re above 2000 RPM often then it will keep the dpf clear. I read that in the handbook of either my last Audi or my VW work van and never had any problems with any diesel I’ve had since I’ve known that.

It’s only 2000RPM you need to be above, it doesn’t even matter how fast you are driving aslong as you’re above 2000 RPM often then it will keep the dpf clear. I read that in the handbook of either my last Audi or my VW work van and never had any problems with any diesel I’ve had since I’ve known that.

Got the 1.6tdi and I mostly do short journeys (few miles to work and back again durinh the week). Most weekends I go to the parents about 30 mins drive of country lanes and occasionally after work I'll take the long way home on the motorway for about 30-40mins and I've never had a DPF light pop up :)

Think I'm over paranoid about it but my neighbours bought an a4 2.0tdi and got rid of it as within about 2 months it needed 3 regens...but think their driving was purely in town.

Maybe true, but the hotter the dpf gets the better the burn will be, 3k will make sure it gets to the magic 600 degrees for the best burn.

New free app on Google Store VAG DPF which require a blue tooth dongle :friendly wink: