Turbo "Flutter" / "Compressor Surge" Noise with Ram Air Query

JamesW1994

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

My first post on this forum :) Glad to join you all! So much useful stuff on here, I am the owner of an Audi S3 2010 2.0 Turbo DSG.

I recently purchased a Ram Air oversized stage 2 Induction kit for my car and installed it with the intention of later getting an engine re-map. Now straight away without having had any remap done I notice a very obvious turbo "fluttering" noise which sounded if I am honest a little bit boy racer which I am not too keen on but can live with...

But I am looking to get your opinions on whether on not this is a bad thing for the OEM turbo in the car? Obviously, with the stock filter I never had this... My theory is the RamAir filter is allowing that much air in that the Tubo can't compress it all for the boost?...

Absolutely no expert on this stuff so looking to get some opinions, I know it is well debated / covered online already but just want a few re-assurances that keeping it on isn't going to kill my turbo quickly! The car has done 65k miles.

Thanks,
James :)

I had the same experience installing a Revo intake - IME the aftermarket systems have limited R&D and are focussed on best performance with little focus on damping unwanted noise from harmonics/dynamic changes etc. The turbo controls air ingest and the volume of air is metered so no reason to expect a difference in turbo stress/life. How you use the throttle and particularly large sudden changes in throttle tend to generate those boy racer noises!

Reactions: JamesW1994 and oldoiler
Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the response, is you vehicle DSG? I experienced some harsh (auto) gear changes with my vehicle when putting my foot down. Just wondering if the MAS will be reacting strangley to all this new air flow?

Cheers,
James

I recently purchased a Ram Air oversized stage 2 Induction kit for my car and installed it with the intention of later getting an engine re-map. Now straight away without having had any remap done I notice a very obvious turbo "fluttering" noise which sounded if I am honest a little bit boy racer which I am not too keen on but can live with...

But I am looking to get your opinions on whether on not this is a bad thing for the OEM turbo in the car? Obviously, with the stock filter I never had this... My theory is the RamAir filter is allowing that much air in that the Tubo can't compress it all for the boost?

It’s completely expected - you’ve just removed a restriction (the stock airbox however the stock box with a good filter could be fine for stage2) so you have more air being passed into the turbo. The sound is the diverter valve venting back into the air system. This sound was always present but muffled by the factory air box. Your turbo will be fine compressing the extra air. You could remap to make the most of it.

I had a Ram Air on my previous A3 8P and I fount it to be louder than the Revo on my current S3.

Just wondering if the MAS will be reacting strangley to all this new air flow?

The MAF should adjust itself after a couple of miles re the extra air.

It’s completely expected - you’ve just removed a restriction (the stock airbox however the stock box with a good filter could be fine for stage2) so you have more air being passed into the turbo. The sound is the diverter valve venting back into the air system. This sound was always present but muffled by the factory air box. Your turbo will be fine compressing the extra air. You could remap to make the most of it.

I had a Ram Air on my previous A3 8P and I fount it to be louder than the Revo on my current S3.

The MAF should adjust itself after a couple of miles re the extra air.

For that to work would you have to disconnect ecu for 3 minutes and then reconnect for the ecu to relearn??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JamesW1994
I’m not sure sorry - I didn’t do that with the A3 or the S3. Someone else will be able to confirm.

I’m not sure sorry - I didn’t do that with the A3 or the S3. Someone else will be able to confirm.

I know you’re supposed todo it if you’re changing Ron 95-99 to get the full performance of Ron 99

Hi Stuart,
Many thanks for the response, is you vehicle DSG?
Yes DSG - definately worth reading how the DSG works so you can adjust your driving style to get the best results - the Gbox ECU will queue what it thinks is most likely gear on the alternate cluster and if that is wrong then gear change time goes from ~50ms to ~500+ms and with the delay it tends to make for harsh changes, particularly for a delayed 1st gear selection.

I know you’re supposed todo it if you’re changing Ron 95-99 to get the full performance of Ron 99

Never heard of this but quite possible. The ECU will advance the timing to adjust but quite plausible.

I am going to see how I get on over the next week with it, if the car isn’t quite right I will likely swap for the original filter. I plan on doing the remap end of the year when my insurance is up (Admiral won’t cover re-maps :grumpy:).

Interesting point about the MAF possibly needing to be disconnected for the learn. Presuming this would need to happen when when ignition is in a live state?

Won’t attempt this, but if someone confirms that they have tried this it would be good!

Thanks all for the points made!

Hi Folks,

My first post on this forum :) Glad to join you all! So much useful stuff on here, I am the owner of an Audi S3 2010 2.0 Turbo DSG.

But I am looking to get your opinions on whether on not this is a bad thing for the OEM turbo in the car? Obviously, with the stock filter I never had this... My theory is the RamAir filter is allowing that much air in that the Tubo can't compress it all for the boost?...

Absolutely no expert on this stuff so looking to get some opinions, I know it is well debated / covered online already but just want a few re-assurances that keeping it on isn't going to kill my turbo quickly! The car has done 65k miles.

Thanks,
James :)
I’ve just installed the oversized ram air intake aswell. I have a different issue though. Between 3000 and 4000 revs it sounds like it’s stuttering. As in not a smooth intake of air ? A bit concerned. Any help ? Anybody else experienced this. ?
Thanks Jon

I'm getting my S3 (2011 DSG) remapped to stage 1 at R-Tech in September and have been looking at getting the oversized RamAir or the REVO....
£100 difference, is it worth it?

Revo - absolutely worth the £100 difference

I've gone for the RamAir as I couldn't find any justification for the Revo specs-wise. See how I go, can always sell it and get the Revo later if I want.

That’s fair enough but as far as I’m aware the revo is less prone to heat soak due to its materials, the single piece pipe massively reduces air turbulence in the intake which is supposed to give you better air flow/speed and I think the foam filter is better at, well, filtering lol
Not sure how much of that can be felt on the road though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s fair enough but as far as I’m aware the revo is less prone to heat soak due to its materials, the single piece pipe massively reduces air turbulence in the intake which is supposed to give you better air flow/speed and I think the foam filter is better at, well, filtering lol
Not sure how much of that can be felt on the road though...

Yea I read about that stuff, thing is though as your say will you really feel the difference on the road. I don't think I would tbh

Yea I read about that stuff, thing is though as your say will you really feel the difference on the road. I don't think I would tbh

That’s fair enough mate, although having had a ramair on my A3 and the revo on the S3, I do prefer the revo

Reactions: Shady0808