lowering springs

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
Im looking for recommendations for lowering spring to use with mag ride on my saloon. Ta

Reading my thread from a week ago or so, the general gist is

Eibach springs - lower approx 20-25mm on the front and 15-20mm on the rear
H&R spring - lower approx 20mm front and rear

And from general reading around, there are 2/3 different types of springs from both manufacturers, so make sure you know which ones you are getting

For me, I want more than 20mm so ill go the coilover route personally so I can fine tune the setup too

Guys, check out prices and options from Damian @DPM

Reactions: DPM and Starry
Reading my thread from a week ago or so, the general gist is

Eibach springs - lower approx 20-25mm on the front and 15-20mm on the rear
H&R spring - lower approx 20mm front and rear

And from general reading around, there are 2/3 different types of springs from both manufacturers, so make sure you know which ones you are getting

For me, I want more than 20mm so ill go the coilover route personally so I can fine tune the setup too

I would normally go down the coilover route but as the car has mag ride it would be silly to lose that. I’m looking for the best springs to compliment the mag shocks really.

I would normally go down the coilover route but as the car has mag ride it would be silly to lose that. I’m looking for the best springs to compliment the mag shocks really.

Fully agree, from the research I made, Eibach are softer than H&R but go a tad lower, H&R sit around 5mm higher, but are slightly stiffer

Really is swings and round abouts with the options I found

Fully agree, from the research I made, Eibach are softer than H&R but go a tad lower, H&R sit around 5mm higher, but are slightly stiffer

Really is swings and round abouts with the options I found
Good to know, I don’t want the ride to be to harsh. But I do want a decent drop.

I would definitely give DPM or any other site sponser a shout and see what they recommend, I can only go by what I found out when I was looking into it, but they will know more than me

Reactions: Starry and DPM
Eibach do a Sportline and a less aggressive drop Pro model. H&R is recognised as being harsher and more track orientated. Emmanuel Designs offer a linear spring and are a good choice but hard to get hold of in the U.K. Then there’s VWR/Racingline and APR too so a fair choice out there now. A large drop will reduce the effectiveness of your mag ride dampers - I ran Sportlines for 32k with mag ride and no issues. Some tech guys on here have now cracked the mag ride calibration and can now input the new ride height which is worth considering whichever spring you choose.

Eibach do a Sportline and a less aggressive drop Pro model. H&R is recognised as being harsher and more track orientated. Emmanuel Designs offer a linear spring and are a good choice but hard to get hold of in the U.K. Then there’s VWR/Racingline and APR too so a fair choice out there now. A large drop will reduce the effectiveness of your mag ride dampers - I ran Sportlines for 32k with mag ride and no issues. Some tech guys on here have now cracked the mag ride calibration and can now input the new ride height which is worth considering whichever spring you choose.
Great info mate, the thing I’m worried about and why I’d normally use coilovers is the fact that the rear is almost where it needs to be but the front is 25mm or so to high. Do you have any pics of the sport-lines on yours? Thanks

Reactions: Rob2k68
fitted my new wheels and i not sure i can live witht he gap, dont want anything too harsh but just need to clsoe the gap, i have mag ride aswell. Ebiach seems to be popular and give less harsh ride

Reactions: Rob2k68
Two suggestions from me.

MSS kits - I have them on my S3. Adjustable and ride is great.

Or Emmanuelle design springs which you can get from Ecotune.

Two suggestions from me.

MSS kits - I have them on my S3. Adjustable and ride is great.

Or Emmanuelle design springs which you can get from Ecotune.
MSS, are they adjustable springs, and not coilovers?

Sorry for late reply. As per Alix above - they are springs.

They are now designing them for bmw’s As a guy (Tom Wrigley) is doing a pretty good build over on cutters.

But anyway, I have them on non mag ride but they do pride themselves on their performance on magride.

Reactions: Starry
fitted my new wheels and i not sure i can live witht he gap, dont want anything too harsh but just need to clsoe the gap, i have mag ride aswell. Ebiach seems to be popular and give less harsh ride

Eibachs would be a good choice Rob !

Reactions: DJAlix
Eibachs would be a good choice Rob !

hows the RS then?
yeah leaning towards those myself, been quoted 360 to fit them and said its 4-5 hour job so after the wheels i may have to leave it alittle bit as i did say i wasnt going to spend any more money on the car lol

hows the RS then?
yeah leaning towards those myself, been quoted 360 to fit them and said its 4-5 hour job so after the wheels i may have to leave it alittle bit as i did say i wasnt going to spend any more money on the car lol

RS is great thx. Really enjoying the FL car which feels taught and already more controlled conpared to my PFL car. The sound from the 5 pot is intoxicating and loving the Virtual Cockpit as well. Big thumbs up

With regards to your lowering springs...Presume thats £360 supplied and fitted ? Otherwise thats day light robbery

About 45mins to 1 hour a corner is fair estimate time wise. I had the Eibach Sportlines fitted on the S3 and they were great. Going to look at Eibach Pro’s on the new one as they apparently offer a marginally softer more comfort orientated ride whilst still providing a controlled and sporty drive. They offer a similar drop, albeit 5mm less drop, which suits me with the wider front tyres on my car.. Curiosity more than anything else vs the Sportlines....So lets see.

Here is a link to the write up I did on the Eibach Sportlines. Pictures dont really do it justice, the stance that the new springs offered was well worth it. Huge difference on the front end, which once your eye is tuned, looks like the car is on stilts with Mag Ride and normal stock springs. In the flesh car looked much better.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/magride-vcds.273828/page-3#post-3067667

You wont regret it Rob, just bite the bullet and fit some Eibachs !

Jungle

RS is great thx. Really enjoying the FL car which feels taught and already more controlled conpared to my PFL car. The sound from the 5 pot is intoxicating and loving the Virtual Cockpit as well. Big thumbs up

With regards to your lowering springs...Presume thats £360 supplied and fitted ? Otherwise thats day light robbery

About 45mins to 1 hour a corner is fair estimate time wise. I had the Eibach Sportlines fitted on the S3 and they were great. Going to look at Eibach Pro’s on the new one as they apparently offer a marginally softer more comfort orientated ride whilst still providing a controlled and sporty drive. They offer a similar drop, albeit 5mm less drop, which suits me with the wider front tyres on my car.. Curiosity more than anything else vs the Sportlines....So lets see.

Here is a link to the write up I did on the Eibach Sportlines. Pictures dont really do it justice, the stance that the new springs offered was well worth it. Huge difference on the front end, which once your eye is tuned, looks like the car is on stilts with Mag Ride and normal stock springs. In the flesh car looked much better.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/magride-vcds.273828/page-3#post-3067667

You wont regret it Rob, just bite the bullet and fit some Eibachs !

Jungle
cheers fella, yes glad your enjoying the RS although i didn't expect you say anything different. Sound is what i miss most about my R32 before the S3. I'll get one of them one day. i'll have read up on them, I know i'm going to have to do it, i've fitted the wheels and i'm not 100% on them which after what i paid for them i'm disappointed i don't love them perhaps thinking i should have chose some others. That price was fit only, I thought it was expensive aswell so i'll have a look around perhaps they didn't want the job and priced themselves out of it. will ring around