Keep car running and locked

MH-96

Reaction score
This may sound like a stupid question, are you able to start the car, then get out and lock it whilst the car is still running?

Just so in cold mornings i can start it 20 minutes of so before I need to leave to let it defrost without the risk of someone stealing it!

I'm sure you can code this using OBD11 or Carista.

Enable Ability to lock car with Engine running

Description: By Default Q7 (4M) cars can't be locked via the lock button on the keyfob or the button on the door (if you have convenience key) if the engine is running. This change enables the car to be locked while the engine is running. This is useful to say, for example warm the car up but keep it locked on your driveway.
Notes: If you having folding mirrors, they do not retract once you lock the car.
Usage: Once configured start car engine, get out car and lock. Engine will remain running.
Risk: Low.

Coding:

Module 46 - Central Convenience
Coding
Long Coding
Long Coding Helper
Byte 9
Tick Bit 7
Exit
Do It

ODBEleven Coding:

Module 46 Control Module "Comfort System"
Coding
Find "central_locking_system_lock_unlock_at_engine_runni ng"
Value is set to "Not Active"
Change Value to "Active"
Apply

Also to note, the BOOT will not be locked once making this change, so you will need to disable it and only allow locking from the key itself

I get that it's illegal, but why does the presence/absence of a driver change the impact on the engine?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Also, the only reason we have start/stop is to improve the emissions profile - it has limited impact on most peoples normal driving.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Isn't our driveway private land?

The issue with warming an engine on idle is simply that as it takes longer to heat up it "potentially" removes the oil from the components as it uses more fuel (i.e. runs rich) when cold hence increased engine wear....... as far as emissions go... well surely over the life of the car the amount of "pollution" it creates averages out based on driving style i.e. what about when you get your toe down on the motorway or drive like Miss Daisy around country lanes!

PS.... Yes, your driveway is private land so no laws are technically being broken.

He did just state that he would be using it for cold mornings to defrost, so either way he would still be stationary in the car or not.
I'm not making a judgement call as its up to each individual owner, just pointing out some wrongs and rights...

Pretty sure your insurance company would be not interested in paying out if someone takes a hammer to the window, hops in and drives off...