Rim width question?

Audi covert

Reaction score
Hello all,
I’ve been contemplating buying some calibre ccr alloys for my b7 avant. Been trying to locate some rims with an offset 35 to clear my brake upgrade without using spacers (which I’m using currently).
The ccr alloys I’m looking at come in a set of two 18x8jx35et
Two 18x9jx35et
So the fronts ‘should’ clear the calipers as I’ve got 10mm spacers on 45et at the mo. The question is will the back two clear the arches?
I’ve lowered the car by around 40mm all round.
Any answers on this would be appreciated, especially if anyone out there is running these on their car.
Don’t fancy shelling out on shiny new rims if they snag the body first time out.

Cheers in advance. Dave

Could be wrong but I'm going to say yes, depends how thin a tyre you want to run really.

If your current fronts are et45 with 10mm spacers why not try those on the back to test. Mine was similar to yours and worked fine unless fully loaded so you might get away with it but wouldn't like to say for sure.

If the rears were 8j like the fronts then they would clear I’m sure but I’ve not heard of anyone running 9j on the back with 35offset.
I’m a bloke with the worst luck ever and if it’s not going to work then I’m most likely the one who’ll find out.

Right then, I run 19" 8j all round on an et35 and the fronts clear the 18z's by a very small amount, a few mm maximum.
The rears I have are about 6mm (not a great deal) max clearance before the tyre rubs, I used to have 18" 8j , also et35 with the same clearances , slightly better caliper clearance due to the rim style.

you need to be a bit carefull on the fronts really to start with as to much offset can leave the rims sticking out like a tractor , not ideal.
Rears are very open to debate and can vary a fair bit from car to car, the problem is the camber as one can adjust it a fair bit and still be within factory parameters to get bigger offset rims / spacers on the back, that said it's not allways the best plan to be to far off the factory ideal camber or you'll get other issues later on such as uneven tyre wear etc.

front camber is not adjustable from the factory , but , can be if one fits an aftermarket linkage kit.

Tyres also come into play a fair bit, some with bigger rim saver lips etc can throw a spanner in the works with rubbing.#
I run 235/35 19 and I find its the best compromise on an 8j rim, 235/40 on 18"

just keep in mind a 9j is going to be 1/2 wider on both sides than the factory 8j so rubbing may well be an issue and moreso if you are lowered a fair bit.

big offsets / or oem offsets with thick spacers are the price we have to pay when using big calipers i'm afraid, I don't like using spacers really so my choice of rims has become very, very limited now.

good luck, you best do some experimenting really with washers on the back , keep adding 2mm spacers until you get the spacing you need or see what you can get.

rob

Thank you Rob, you’ve given me a good explanation.
If I’d known the limitations on rim choice before I’d have thought twice before installing 18z calipers. Even though they look the buisiness and vastly improved my braking.
I think my best option is trying to persuade the rim supplier to let me buy four matching 18” rims and know they’ll fit. I’m pretty sure they’re sold like they are for rear wheel drive but with Quattro power all being the same width makes more sense.

I’ll get to the look I’m aiming for eventually but as my wife keeps kindly pointing out when I’m happy You’ll buy another Audi to modify.

Regards, Dave

Don't get me wrong chap i'm not saying its a lost cause, there are a lot of rims out there that will fit over 18z's in 18" and 19" but to stand any chance of getting them to clear big 18z's they will need to be ET35 at least on an 8j or 8.5 j rim your less likely to have rubbing issues with that format .
A lot of guys run 9j rears but with various tyre widths and seem to get by, beats me how as I cant so all a bit random really.
Spacers will have the effect of giving you an ET35 if you can only get et45 or similar but its not allways that straight forward .
ultimately it all comes down to wether you can find a rim you like in the size you need with tyre sizes that work and then will they fit over 18z's, don't forget a4 B7 were never meant to run such big calipers so its a case of just working through things to find out what will fit, and 18" can be just as problematic as 19" in the caliper clearance dept.

I've been through a lot of alloys on my old bus in the last 4 years and out of all of them only 2 sets have been in a style I liked and that fitted without spacers.

So don't give up chap , you get their in the end, I did......