Facelift S3 FL - 3 door v 5 door (differences and opinions)

Do you prefer the 3 or 5 door?

• Total voters

Mythos

Reaction score
I really can't decide if I should get the 3 or 5 door. For the most part I think the 5 door is a little better looking as I prefer the shape of the back and definitely prefer the back lights.

One thing that really bugs me about the 5 door is that it almost looks like an estate when it's meant to be a hatchback. The 3 door has been growing on me more and more, I prefer the more sporty look and I like the smaller size.

I know most people prefer the 5d, but what do you guys think? Also are there any differences between them I might have missed other than the different back lights?

I totally despise the size of the front doors on a 3 door car, I will never own one.

One thing that really bugs me about the 5 door is that it almost looks like an estate when it's meant to be a hatchback.

I think this will be most peoples comment and opinion. Its a nice looking car but it does look like a small estate, Subaru Impreza style. I have the 3 door. really like it and prefer the proportions. I don't need the 5 doors however if you do carry friends then it is a struggle to actually get in the back! lots of ducking and diving just to get in! This is the only real downfall but its normal for a 3 door so not really a design fault of the A3.

I don't know any other differences re: the 3 door & 5 door... Only one I can think of is the roof bars on the 5 door might come in handy if you carry bikes etc.... I know it would have been easier for me recently if I had had roof bars....

BTW, there was a thread on here and a few people talking about the A3/S3 not being available as a 3 door model from new. Not sure when this is being introduced or if it already has though.

I think this will be most peoples comment and opinion. Its a nice looking car but it does look like a small estate, Subaru Impreza style. I have the 3 door. really like it and prefer the proportions. I don't need the 5 doors however if you do carry friends then it is a struggle to actually get in the back! lots of ducking and diving just to get in! This is the only real downfall but its normal for a 3 door so not really a design fault of the A3.

BTW, there was a thread on here and a few people talking about the A3/S3 not being available as a 3 door model from new. Not sure when this is being introduced or if it already has though.

I really hope the next version they make the 5 door a lot smaller, would make the decision a lot easier for me personally. Yeah, I've seen it, bit of a shame although there are a few still new kicking about, found this one which is a pretty big spec, it also has the standard wheels which I don't think I've seen before on a black edition: https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ack-edition-2-0-tfsi-quattro-s-tronic/8399325

Reactions: Ormesome
I really hope the next version they make the 5 door a lot smaller, would make the decision a lot easier for me personally. Yeah, I've seen it, bit of a shame although there are a few still new kicking about, found this one which is a pretty big spec, it also has the standard wheels which I don't think I've seen before on a black edition: https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...ack-edition-2-0-tfsi-quattro-s-tronic/8399325
That's a strange car as it has the saloon 19" alloy wheels on it, very nice specimen of the 3 door l must say, bit in general the Sportback car has a better balance to its looks

Reactions: Mythos
3 door looks much better. I dislike the 5 door, it looks like a squashed estate. might as well buy an s4 avant or an rs4 if you need to use the rear often.

Audi don't make the 3 door anymore do they? That says it all... Sportback is better ;)

Reactions: Tom.H and SamR92
Audi don't make the 3 door anymore do they? That says it all... Sportback is better ;)

I think they only stopped doing the 3 door because the A3 didnt sell enough. The S3 sells plenty 3 doors from what I'v seen.

On looks alone....neither......the saloon wins that one....on practicality the 5 door.

Reactions: Simonb1975
3 door for me. I always think 3 door cars look better, more sporty.

The sportback name is so embarrassing - time Audi dropped That!

Reactions: richinsoton and Ormesome
3 door for me. I always think 3 door cars look better, more sporty.

The sportback name is so embarrassing - time Audi dropped That!

In days long gone 3 door car where better looking than the 5 door versions, l am afraid that's all changed these days
New Honda civic Type R
New Ford Focus and the forth coming all new A3 /S3 all are/will be available only in 5 doors,the designation of sportback is a name Audi use just as much as Avant, coupe "embarrassing" hardly @KenL its used to categorise its body shape
So From now if you want a 3 door German hatchback you'll need to go Volkswagen

Reactions: NevMan, Tom.H, Ormesome and 1 other person
I may well go VW next time, also interested in how the new A1 looks/drives - yes I know 5 door only. I am not anti 5 door just that 3 door versions look cleaner and sportier.

They are stopping making 3 door cars only because these are family cars and people want extra doors.

Putting extra doors on a car cannot make it look better. It breaks up the design of the car and the rear windows tend to look awkward.

Reactions: richinsoton
I may well go VW next time, also interested in how the new A1 looks/drives - yes I know 5 door only. I am not anti 5 door just that 3 door versions look cleaner and sportier.

They are stopping making 3 door cars only because these are family cars and people want extra doors.

Putting extra doors on a car cannot make it look better. It breaks up the design of the car and the rear windows tend to look awkward.
In the good old days when cars where smaller, car designers had less room to incorporate them 2 extra doors so yeah most 5 door versions looked a bit ungainly, nowadays cars are getting larger way larger as you know, so this makes it easier to design a more attractive 5 door hatch, the demise of the 3 door car is down to 2 factors cost cutting and popularity, l won't buy another hatch, coupe or convertible next time around

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and KenL
Buy a saloon then - don't going buying one of those pointless SUVs ;-)

3 Door for me as well, love that big front door, gives you a bit more room to put the seat back which is good when 6ft2.
Not keen on the 5 door, looks a bit like a small mpv to me.

I have only ever bought three door cars but it looks like they could become rare as the new Polo GTI, Suzuki swift sport, are only 5 doors.
Just have to move on to a Porsche Cayman next, the 718 looks stunning :grinning:

Reactions: richinsoton and Ormesome
That’s silly money for a 3 door. Mine is a 3 door, went with it over 5 door as i don’t really use the rear seats and at the time Audi were offering good discounts. The doors are long and chunky but not a deal breaker.

Reactions: Tom.H
S3 saloon would look good with two massive doors, more slope on the back window, rear seats that have to be crawled into with much less head and leg room that can't be sat on by anyone above 4'8" or legs that dangle over the edge of the seat.
Or is that BMW territory?

S3 saloon would look good with two massive doors, more slope on the back window, rear seats that have to be crawled into with much less head and leg room that can't be sat on by anyone above 4'8" or legs that dangle over the edge of the seat.
Or is that BMW territory?
No that's a A3/S3 Cabriolet you've basically described

Reactions: gynads
I used to be 3 door all the way.

But getting the RS3 I had no choice it was 5 door only.

Now I’m converted & would not get a 3 door again.

Firstly it does not look like an estate lol & it’s proportions are spot on.

But the main thing that converted me is the shallow front doors. For years I have put up with massive coupe doors - squeezing out in the garage & tight car parks - such a pain in the **** !

The sportback front doors were a revelation to me & totally converted me. Plus being able to have rear doors for passengers, gym bag, coats, shopping etc - all so much easier & convenient.

I will not go back to 3 door or a coupe now.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I have owned a few three door cars in my day and the problem is obviously the length of the doors. I found parking spaces in car parks very tight and getting the door to open far enough to exit the car can be problematic also most garages in houses are now narrower and again door opening width is an issue, I lined the wall in my garage with foam sheeting because I was forever touching up the edge of the door where it came into contact with the brickwork

Reactions: Jassyo06
My first 3 cars were 3 door (the last of which I had for 9 years) didn't think I'd get a 5 door unless it was a big car but the more I looked at the A3/S3 the more I preferred the look of the sportback.

Plus as I use the rear seat for the little one, it's a lot more convenient, especially if it's raining!

As for the reason Audi dropped it, cost cutting may have been 1 reason, but I daresay they looked at the global demand for 3 doors and decided there wasn't enough demand to warrant continuing to make them.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
The saloon is the worst of the lot. Saloons look outdated and are old fashioned.
I love the look of the saloon but bought a Sportback for the practicality. To me the Saloon is the best looking A3/S3, followed by the Sportback and then the 3 door. I think the proportions just look better on the 5 door than the 3. The best of all worlds option for me would be a saloon with a Skoda Octavia style "notchback" boot so you have the look of a saloon with the practicality of a hatchback.

The saloon is the worst of the lot. Saloons look outdated and are old fashioned.

Lets just say...apart from yer potential banning for Audi Blasthemy that is....???av got contacts ye know....???lol.........the Audi A3 Saloon without a doubt is thee best looking variant....now go and wash yer mouth out or its 10 of the belt for ya....

Reactions: BarryG79 and Jcbmally
Saloons look old fashioned?....they just look better in a sea of SUV's and hatchbacks, which are practical, apart from having to clean the rear window all the time, but all so bland in design

He did say earlier on a other thread he would contemplate buying a M5.........Res ma case me lud....lol

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
3 doors only car with more doors I have ever had is an rx8 because you don't see them :icon thumright:
Only you can say which looks better were all diffrent thank god who would buy a 5 door unless you have kids or a disabled parent :blahblah1::wink new:

Reactions: Mythos
Always preferred 3 doors, but my 8p drove me mad in the end. Trying to get car seats in the back, the doors needing loads of space to open and the constant problems with the airbag light coming on with the continuous folding forward of the seats. Now the other half has an 8v sportback and it’s so much more practical. When I can afford it I think I’m going to trade the Impreza for an rs3 saloon.

Nice to see people admitting that the 3 door looks better. The "sportback" is only better for practicality after all :)

Reactions: richinsoton, Timi8888 and Ormesome