Audi S4 exhaust Noise

That's really good to hear! Glad that you're liking it.

I have noticed that I can get some heads turning if I put my foot down a bit at slow speeds but I'm never sure if it's the exhaust or the filter and the turbo/whooshing noises that the car makes. Haha.

Reactions: zippster
That's really good to hear! Glad that you're liking it.

I have noticed that I can get some heads turning if I put my foot down a bit at slow speeds but I'm never sure if it's the exhaust or the filter and the turbo/whooshing noises that the car makes. Haha.

thanks for the push in the first place to do it:)

just need my ECS pipe to arrive now ..

Reactions: Daggerit
thanks for the push in the first place to do it:)

just need my ECS pipe to arrive now ..

No worries, just glad you liked it in the end. Don’t expect much from the ECS pipe though, to me it’s more of a cosmetic thing and I’ve not personally noticed any differences at all. Looks cool though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@zippster let me know how you get on with the filter as getting my S4 later this year and wouldn’t mind getting the full experience but don’t want to risk any warranty issues

Cheers

Reactions: zippster
@zippster let me know how you get on with the filter as getting my S4 later this year and wouldn’t mind getting the full experience but don’t want to risk any warranty issues

Cheers

If it helps, mine has the K&N, exhaust and springs fitted and went in with a drive system fault and nothing was said about any of them.

Reactions: TameAutumn
BMC ordered, this car needs all the extra sound it can get!

Reactions: zippster and Daggerit
haha starting a trend.. i dont think you will be disappointed. :)

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and Daggerit
Next up is a downpipe & tuning box thereafter. Need to pay for holidays first...

Well I finally weakened and ordered one of the filters.

How have the other people got one with them? Hopefully worth the money.

Hopefully get it and install it this week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073 and Daggerit
Well I finally weakened and ordered one of the filters.

How have the other people got one with them? Hopefully worth the money.

Hopefully get it and install it this week.

Did you buy from the BMC site directly? Is there anywhere in the U.K. that stocks these to avoid the shipping fee/delivery wait?

Reactions: zippster and A12RNX
Cheapest is eBay from Italy at about £66 compared with just over £77. I went with the known seller and my other half is off this week. So hopefully someone in when it arrives.

Zippster any sign of the intake tube?

Reactions: Riko0073
yeah it turned up on the 14th of may, however im going to have my first oil change done first then I will put it on and leave it until the next service.. its much better/larger than OEM so quite excited to hear the difference..

the one on my s3 gave it a definite more sporty note.

ill keep you posted .. but well worth getting one if you can;

yeah it turned up on the 14th of may, however im going to have my first oil change done first then I will put it on and leave it until the next service.. its much better/larger than OEM so quite excited to hear the difference..

the one on my s3 gave it a definite more sporty note.

ill keep you posted .. but well worth getting one if you can;

Is that the ECS intake hose? If so I have one on my car and while it looks good I have to admit I’ve not noticed any sound difference unfortunately...

yeh the ECS.. bu I assume you have it coupled with your k&N too ..

aww well . it will look pretty .. S3 was obviously VERY restricted. :)

Yeah that's exactly what I did so I imagine it should be fairly similar in sound to your setup!

Definitely looks better I think, just seems to get dusty easily and quickly. Haha

Filter finally arrived yesterday and fitted it last night. Felt much free revving today although not noticed any extra noise.

Factory filter comes with half a duvet on it! So much cotton wool on it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

open the drivers windows and hoon a little and come off the throttle.. you should hear a loud WHOOOOOSH mine sounds like a steam train under load :):):)

I took your advice on the slip road this evening and got the nice whoosh noise.

Thanks for the tip. Any update on your intake tube arriving?

cool, glad you can hear it now.. yes the pipe arrived a while ago actually, but i have my first oil service booked for 7th July so ill put it on after that.. to be honest it arrived and i forgot all about it for a few weeks as 'life' got in the way.. ill let you know if there is any difference but engine definitely seems to rev a little freely..

im about to hit 4000 miles (*cough* i know.) so things seem to be loosening up in general.

anyone in any doubt, I put my OEM filter back in my car last night in preparation for todays first oil service 12 month /4k miles!

now I know I didn't need to do this but I thought as its quite a nice 'spirited drive' to the dealer I use I thought id see if I could notice the difference..

well driving with the drivers side window down around 2~3" its noticeable how much quieter it is :( so the first thing ill be doing when I get back from here is putting my filter back in and installing the ECS silicone pipe thing..

so if in doubt, money well spent in my opinion, however open the window to hear the difference as the cabin is a very quiet place. also had 2 comments from friends recently how nice the exhaust note sounds now on driveway and flyby.. 4000miles on the clock and its all starting to loosen up and sound better.. hang in there...

sat at Audi reading, desperately trying not to look at the RS.. as I have 'previous' for driving away with things I just 'look' at :racer:

Reactions: Riko0073
Looking forward to you fitting the air pipe and testing the difference.

cool, glad you can hear it now.. yes the pipe arrived a while ago actually, but i have my first oil service booked for 7th July so ill put it on after that.. to be honest it arrived and i forgot all about it for a few weeks as 'life' got in the way.. ill let you know if there is any difference but engine definitely seems to rev a little freely..

im about to hit 4000 miles (*cough* i know.) so things seem to be loosening up in general.

I've done 4k in 3 months haha

but yes this does seem to be the point that the motor starts to slacken off.

I'm an old guy wishing to be as stealth as possible.

Any way of reducing exhaust noise without shaving off performance?

use individual drive select and set the exhaust to comfort.. its a stealth as it gets :)

Reactions: Terminator x, Filipão and Spaceman_RS3
how easy this air filter to fit - can anyone do it.

i note that there are a couple of links to exhaust valve overrides - i assumed that if you select the dynamic exhaust option in the individual mode that it starts the car with both valves open anyway

how easy this air filter to fit - can anyone do it.

i note that there are a couple of links to exhaust valve overrides - i assumed that if you select the dynamic exhaust option in the individual mode that it starts the car with both valves open anyway

The air filter is really easy to change. About 4/5 screws to take out on top of the airbox and then the filter just does a 1/4 turn to come off if I remember rightly. Just pop the new one on and then put the top of the airbox back on with the screws. Takes 5 minutes max.

As for the valves, the car always starts with them closed, regardless of the mode it starts in. There are a couple caveats in that the valves open on cold start and that you can turn on the ignition (but not engine) and switch to a mode which should have open valves before actually starting the engine, then they'll be open when it starts.

As for the valves, the car always starts with them closed, regardless of the mode it starts in. There are a couple caveats in that the valves open on cold start and that you can turn on the ignition (but not engine) and switch to a mode which should have open valves before actually starting the engine, then they'll be open when it starts.

@Daggerit My S4 Avant when cold starting always has LHS valve open for about 15 seconds. Then it shuts up. I feel this is very annoying as I don't wish my car to be noisy on start up.

What have I selected wrong? I'm on confort D every time I park the car at home.

Thanks for your help!

@Daggerit My S4 Avant when cold starting always has LHS valve open for about 15 seconds. Then it shuts up. I feel this is very annoying as I don't wish my car to be noisy on start up.

What have I selected wrong? I'm on confort D every time I park the car at home.

Thanks for your help!

Nothing you can do about that I’m afraid, on cold start the valves stay open regardless of the mode you’re in...

Reactions: Filipão
If you stump up for the valve control module it will start quiet in comfort with all valves shut.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

@terminator x sorry, there's something I am missing, probably because my english is not so good, would you kindly explain it a little further? Thank you!
There is a "module" you can buy and install that lets you keep the valves open or shut even when ignition off / on cycle eg comfort valves always shut, dynamic valves always open even when turning ignition on for the first time eg it won't "whump" on startup in comfort. It is a bit expensive so most people won't buy it.

TX.

There is a "module" you can buy and install that lets you keep the valves open or shut even when ignition off / on cycle eg comfort valves always shut, dynamic valves always open even when turning ignition on for the first time eg it won't "whump" on startup in comfort. It is a bit expensive so most people won't buy it.

TX.

@terminator x Wow, that's just what I need, besides many other resonators in the line! Got a link for that product, please?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
There is an electronic control module you can buy aftermarket that over rides the valves. It lets you open or close the valves regardless of the cars mode

Reactions: Terminator x and Daggerit