Facelift Back in an Audi. S3 sportback ordered

gynads

Reaction score
Well after some years away (8 I think). I'll soon be back driving one.

I had an S3 8P stage2+ which I enjoyed a lot. I sold that for an E92 335d Which although fast was quite boring to drive. There was a 1M coupe parked in front of it at the showroom when I ordered it, and promised myself I would have one at some point. After getting bored quite quickly of the E92 I went to buy a 1M Coupe but ended up getting talked into considering an M135i instead. I bought that and had the JB4, de-cat and back box fitted, it's the best car I've owned.
After a brief spell with a RRS I ordered a Mercedes E class coupe, around this time last year. And once again, got bored quickly.
I was looking out for something to buy that wpuld excite me again anyway, when I found out were expecting our first baby, so thought this seemed like a good time to buy a more practical car. The shortlist ended up being

M140i 5 door
Golf R 5 door
S3 saloon
S3 sportback

I went to see about the M140i and were just back and forth with figures etc. I went to VW and took the Golf R out and was hugely impressed, absolutely brilliant to drive. Thinking they're the same platform, started looking at used sportbacks and saloons, but got offered a good deal on a stock car. It's a white, black edition with technology pack, mag ride, 19's and red calipers.

There wasn't a demo for me to test drive so I'm really looking forward to taking delivery (it's arrived at the dealership but I go offshore for 2 weeks in a few hours).

Cheers guys

Adam

Reactions: MikeParkin, AL_B, Sandra and 4 others

I had an S3 8P stage2+ which I enjoyed a lot. I sold that for an E92 335d Which although fast was quite boring to drive. There was a 1M coupe parked in front of it at the showroom when I ordered it, and promised myself I would have one at some point. After getting bored quite quickly of the E92 I went to buy a 1M Coupe but ended up getting talked into considering an M135i instead. I bought that and had the JB4, de-cat and back box fitted, it's the best car I've owned.
After a brief spell with a RRS I ordered a Mercedes E class coupe, around this time last year. And once again, got bored quickly.
I was looking out for something to buy that wpuld excite me again anyway, when I found out were expecting our first baby, so thought this seemed like a good time to buy a more practical car. The shortlist ended up being

M140i 5 door
Golf R 5 door
S3 saloon
S3 sportback

I went to see about the M140i and were just back and forth with figures etc. I went to VW and took the Golf R out and was hugely impressed, absolutely brilliant to drive. Thinking they're the same platform, started looking at used sportbacks and saloons, but got offered a good deal on a stock car. It's a white, black edition with technology pack, mag ride, 19's and red calipers.

There wasn't a demo for me to test drive so I'm really looking forward to taking delivery (it's arrived at the dealership but I go offshore for 2 weeks in a few hours).

Cheers guys

Adam
I had a S3 for an hours test drive and same with an 140i and although the Beemer drove better the S3 felt faster. The Golf R is a bit more shoutie, S3 a bit more grown up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMO of course. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Reactions: gynads
Ah good to hear mate. The BMW was lots of fun but I like the idea of being able to use (most) of the performance more of the time. Did you find there was a lot of difference in between the way the Golf and the S3 handled?

Reactions: Jcbmally
Ah good to hear mate. The BMW was lots of fun but I like the idea of being able to use (most) of the performance more of the time. Did you find there was a lot of difference in between the way the Golf and the S3 handled?
Yeah the BWM was a little twitchy in the damp but big grin factor. TBH mate the Golf/Audi felt more or less the same. The interior of the Audi (again IMO) is nicer but you get more bang for your buck with the Golf. Like I said pal the main thing I didn't like about the Golf was the fake noise.

Hi Adam, welcome back, congrats on the car and the upcoming new addition to the family. Life as you know it will change, but all for the better. Look forward to the pics. :)

Reactions: gynads and Jcbmally

M140i 5 door
Golf R 5 door
S3 saloon
S3 sportback

Cheers guys

Adam

Congrats on your pending arrivals!

Considered the M140i myself, loved the noise much better sounding than the S3. But at the time my mate had one and the price wasn’t right.
I was actually on paternity leave when I ordered the S3 and had also looked at R estate for the extra space for buggies etc. Then thought stuff it, S3 was nicer place to sit and can take the wives car if we need more space
Never drove one until it was delivered either as what could there be not to like with 300+ hp and Quattro

A few months after delivery I was in my mates M140i and realised it was much smaller too
5048c0f4e1ce1b58759c8c7a1a8152be.jpg

Hopefully you didn’t make the same mistake as me though and showed the wife the A3 SB boot space in the showroom which has a deeper floor than non Quattro models!

Fingers crossed for a quick trip then and for no fog delaying you getting off to collect the new motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gynads
I had a S3 for an hours test drive and same with an 140i and although the Beemer drove better the S3 felt faster. The Golf R is a bit more shoutie, S3 a bit more grown up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IMO of course. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
Best way to sum this up is this, R is for boys, S3 is for men.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Sandra, Lehn and 2 others
Hi Adam, welcome back, congrats on the car and the upcoming new addition to the family. Life as you know it will change, but all for the better. Look forward to the pics. :)

Thank you Sandra! Really excited about both!

Congrats on your pending arrivals!

Considered the M140i myself, loved the noise much better sounding than the S3. But at the time my mate had one and the price wasn’t right.
I was actually on paternity leave when I ordered the S3 and had also looked at R estate for the extra space for buggies etc. Then thought stuff it, S3 was nicer place to sit and can take the wives car if we need more space
Never drove one until it was delivered either as what could there be not to like with 300+ hp and Quattro

A few months after delivery I was in my mates M140i and realised it was much smaller too
5048c0f4e1ce1b58759c8c7a1a8152be.jpg

Hopefully you didn’t make the same mistake as me though and showed the wife the A3 SB boot space in the showroom which has a deeper floor than non Quattro models!

Fingers crossed for a quick trip then and for no fog delaying you getting off to collect the new motor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Barry! Cracking pic. I have to say, the Audi is the better looking too!
ha ha! I did quote the A3 boot size before knowing the difference :)
fingers crossed mate! I'm already trying to engineer myself onto the earlier flight the night before! (just in case of inclement weather of course...)

Best way to sum this up is this, R is for boys, S3 is for men.

Exactly! well men with families anyway lol

Reactions: 4K, Jcbmally, Sandra and 1 other person