Horn Appreciation Society ?

Shortyian

Reaction score
Bit of a daft one this, but hey it's Friday, why not !

When I first picked up car I noticed it had a rather 'meaty' horn compared to my previous cars / what others sound like..... I know it doesn't really matter but there's nothing worse I think than having a pathetic softy sounding horn when you need it!

........ Anyway, years have past by since and I almost forgot about it until my car was in for it's MOT and the tester said "'That's a hell of a horn that isn't it, like a wagon horn that!" - it did make me laugh!

Not sure if these may differ or change slightly over the years / facelift models etc but mine is a 2013 sportback - anyone else appreciate their horn, haha ?:yes:

Reactions: Lehn and Martinbanshee
I've got absolutely no idea what the horn on my car sounds like. I haven't used it once in the sixteen months I've had the car.

Sounding the horn is so common. Unnecessarily rude, noisy and, well, just... common.

Horns are for oiks.

I'd far rather lower the appropriate window and engage the other driver in an earnest and frank conversation during which I can point out the error of his ways.

Always best to remove one's hat first, as some people might find a trilby rather threatening.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Shortyian
Only use I see for a horn these days is to wire it up to the brakes so that every time someone brakes the horn goes off.

Generally I’d say if something is bad enough you need to use your horn, you should keep both hands on the wheel as your braking hard. I see lots of dash cam videos where crashes could have been avoided if the driver spent more time manoeuvring and braking than holding the horn on

Reactions: oli356
You know what Audi has a proper girly horn? The R8.

My old V8 had such a sh1t horn. Sounded like it should have been on a Fiat panda. Should have had a proper dual tone horn.

There's some more advice for the keen horn user in the following safety bulletin. It appeared in a 1924 edition of the American magazine Popular Mechanics. having been translated from the Japanese original, something which is often fraught with difficulty...

"At the rise of the hand of the policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

When a passenger of the foot hove in sight, tootle the horn trumpet to him melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express the word of mouth the warning "Hi! Hi!"

Beware the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by or stop by the roadside till he pass away.

Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with your wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease-mud, as there lurk the skid demons. Press the brake of the foot as you roll around corners to save the
collapse and tie up."

Reactions: amb66
There's some more advice for the keen horn user in the following safety bulletin. It appeared in a 1924 edition of the American magazine Popular Mechanics. having been translated from the Japanese original, something which is often fraught with difficulty...

"At the rise of the hand of the policeman, stop rapidly. Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

When a passenger of the foot hove in sight, tootle the horn trumpet to him melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express the word of mouth the warning "Hi! Hi!"

Beware the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by or stop by the roadside till he pass away.

Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with your wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease-mud, as there lurk the skid demons. Press the brake of the foot as you roll around corners to save the
collapse and tie up."

Giphy 1

Reactions: davc and Shortyian
Only use I see for a horn these days is to wire it up to the brakes so that every time someone brakes the horn goes off.

Generally I’d say if something is bad enough you need to use your horn, you should keep both hands on the wheel as your braking hard. I see lots of dash cam videos where crashes could have been avoided if the driver spent more time manoeuvring and braking than holding the horn on
I swear half the dash cam videos, the driver is at fault anyway.

I think the horn scares people though and can send them into panic and make a situation worse. I rarely use mine and if I do its a short beep, not these long stupid holding it down scenarios.

Reactions: SamR92
* For maximum effect find suitable tunnel / underpass

Inside a garage is a good one too lol, I was wondering why the mot tester was tooting it so much, must of been enjoying it - small things and all that :chuncky:

Reactions: Chris43, Jassyo06 and SamR92
These have got some good old horns on them :grinning:

0RiQSUM.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Shortyian
Mines pretty meaty too, but the ultimate is the bull horns on the truck at work.......they make every motorist take notice.

I’ll give you that, those American bull horns are something else but ours are a very close second.

European two tone horns sound lots better than the pathetic single tones in Japanese cars. These are due to their 'polte' natyre when sounding off. Me, if I soung the horn, it's to warn of danger. I fitted a Stebel nautilus in my previous civic and that 140db paints a very clear signal when used in anger.

I've done the upgrade, but have an issue pointing it out front for maximum effect, but it'll do for the moment
* For maximum effect find suitable tunnel / underpass

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shortyian and Tom.H
European two tone horns sound lots better than the pathetic single tones in Japanese cars. These are due to their 'polte' natyre when sounding off. Me, if I soung the horn, it's to warn of danger. I fitted a Stebel nautilus in my previous civic and that 140db paints a very clear signal when used in anger.

Haha had one of those on my old car too - great fun :)

Must be a bunch of town drivers :p

Out in the country your horn is a safety feature - usually for blind corners to warn any approaching cars/bikes - not that you're going at speed, but the earlier the warning the better in terms of finding space for each other etc. But it's also quite handy for getting wildlife off the road.

And yes, the A3 has a fairly good horn. The 8P had a better one, real class. The 8V is a little weedier but it's still a step above fiestas etc.