Whats the BEST Tyres for a 3.2 Quattro ?

S_Line

Reaction score
One front is on the limit and the other had a puncture today :(

So need two new tyres for the front - maybe all round.

Whats the Best for Grip for these 3.2s ? Ive found the originals ones not too good in the dry :(

As it does get driven very hard.

Any advice greatly appreciated guys ;)

Brian

I will be replacing my tyres in the next few mths and i got my eyes on Toyo T1-R or the T1-S's.

Had these on my Polo and loved them, also very well priced as well.

Stay away from Yoko's as they are really soft and don't last very long

I changed the orginal contact sports 2 for a set of pirelli Pzreo rosso on the front which I've found very good. I've always considered yoko best for grip but they really don't last very long. Recently replace back tyres with brand new designed vredestein the Ultrac Sessanta , these thing have the weirdest tread pattern I have every seen but seem to grip very well on the back. Personally I think tyre choice is a bit of a dark art you need to weight wet grip against dry grip, noise and tyre life but for the prive I am impressed with the vredestein and will be putting some on the front once the pirelli's are worn.

I took the Rossos of our car and replaced the with Goodyear Eagle F1s. I didnt like the Rossos at all they didnt grip that well in the wet or dry. Infact the Eagles grip better in the wet than the Pirellis did in the dry. Oh and they have a better rim protector too.

thanks for the great replies guys, to add i only do about 10K miles per year.

these ones have lasted 2 years ( from new ) its now nearly done 20K miles.

if you only do thst mileage a year get the best ones you can afford. Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza S03, Yokohama... remember you have 250hp to put on the road!

Pedro

Mine came with PZero 225/40 ZR18 92Y. Have not found them wanting in the way of grip so far - and it gets thrown about quite a bit (but in a good way, of course!)

I had 17in PZeroes on my last A3 and they too were pretty good. Before selling the last A3 I put a new set of Bridgestones in it and they didn't feel the same - no less grip, but just felt different.

You are right, I can feel the difference between different tires, some brands seem to suit some cars better...

Examples: My 156 the best tires I found are Dunlops SP Sports, second set and excellent, not good with Michelins, my Dad Civic VTEC only wants Bridgestone Potenzas, a renault Clio Sport MK2 I had was better served with Michelin Pilot Sport.... My mums Golf is OK with Goodyears F1...

I prefer to stick to Bridgestone/Michelin (although I'm running Dunlops on my 156) But any respectable manufacturer has good rubber, it's due to a personal choice and feeling of the car in the end...

Pedro

P.S.: Tires is something I do not save money, it's the contact patch between me and the road, I try the best I can afford (being sensible off course)

Yep mine has the P- Zero - Rosso on there at teh moment,

Ive been phoning round and have decided to go for a whole new set of Bridgestones.

They are teh ones that the New Subaru Stis have on, they look like a track only Tyre :)

Very soft rubber, lets see how they go...

Costing £ 124.55 per corner fully fitted.

Pics up later :)

S_Line said:
Yep mine has the P- Zero - Rosso on there at teh moment,

Ive been phoning round and have decided to go for a whole new set of Bridgestones.

They are teh ones that the New Subaru Stis have on, they look like a track only Tyre :)

Very soft rubber, lets see how they go...

If they're designed primarily for road use,I'm sure they'll be fine.

As with bikes though,people often think track tyres will offer better grip on the road.
The answer is no though as,with the best will in the world,no-one can work track tyres hard enough on the road,so they never run at the temperatures they need to.
Just as road tyres will turn to goo on a track,track tyres will slide all over the place and cold-tear on the road.

There's many a bike racer sells used track tyres beside their vans,but I always used to bin mine.
I didn't want someone wrapping themselves round a tree because they assumed my tyres were grippier on the road.

I had Goodyear GSD3's on my R32, they were excellent, and are pretty well priced if i remember right

well what a mess up,

I ordered the tryres at the wrong branch and had a 1/2 journey to the fast fit dept.

On arrival, i wanted to look at the tyres, guess what . they werent the ones i wanted, some other kind of Bridestones.

Explained again in detail and drew out the wavy 1/2 slick tread pattern of a Subaru Sti Tryre for him, so he was on the phone to the wharehouse.

" Sorry i cant get them in that size - 225/40/18 " was the reply.

At this point i had spent alot og waisted time on the thing allready, so got them to install the ones they had :(

£500 later and the slowest fitting time in history 1.5 hrs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im back at the office.

What a day ! Sometimes i really wonder if its worth the hastle with tyre people ?

My Local guys at Salhouse Road Fast fit are fantastic, ( probably because im a regular )

Their best time is 15mins ! for a complete 4 wheel tyre change.

So im not dissin Fast Fit in general, just the Reepham Road Branch, the engineer did apologise for the long wait, but a discount would have made a better mark, as time is money for me.

these are the ones i got in the end

Potenza RE 050 A 225/40 R18 92Y XL EZ

PotenzaRE050A.jpg

a good place to check out tyre performance is http://www.tyretest.com/

i think i will go for either the GY F1 or the Toyo Proxies

Got about 4mm left on the tyres so hopefully will see 6k miles out of them before they reach the 2mm mark (i always change tyres before they hit the 1.6mm limit due to the knowledge that aquaplaning could kill you).

medicineman said:
I changed the orginal contact sports 2 for a set of pirelli Pzreo rosso on the front which I've found very good. I've always considered yoko best for grip but they really don't last very long. Recently replace back tyres with brand new designed vredestein the Ultrac Sessanta , these thing have the weirdest tread pattern I have every seen but seem to grip very well on the back. Personally I think tyre choice is a bit of a dark art you need to weight wet grip against dry grip, noise and tyre life but for the prive I am impressed with the vredestein and will be putting some on the front once the pirelli's are worn.

I've got the vredesteins on the front at the moment. They were ok when on the back however i'm not too keen on them now i have changed them over. Think I will stick with the GSD3. If you are looking for tyres at a good price i have always found http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html to be the cheapest.

For those with Quattro you should have the same tyre on both front and rear, also check the handbook about different rolling radius of new & worn tyres. I dont have myhandbook to hand but tghhink there is mention in it.

Had the Conti SCIIs (standard), Bridgestone RE050 (as pictured above), Michelin PS1s, PZero Neros and Michelin PS2s: the PS2s were by far the better of the bunch, but also the most pricey...