3.2 vs 2.0T...

winterrB6

Reaction score
Hey!

I am currently looking to replace my 1.8T B6 with a B7 estate. Did look at A5 coupes but I really need something a bit more practical and a lot of the 2.0T seem to have problems with piston rings and excessive oil consumption (did they have the same problem with the B7?)

I have narrowed my search down to either the 3.2 or 2.0t engine with Quattro. Used to own a quattro TT no know what to listen out for with regards the haldex. Is there anything else I should be aware of when viewing either the 3.2 or 2.0t?

Thanks

you need to look at the two cars very differently 2.0t is excellent and does not suffer from the same B8 platform oil issues but still can use a bit.
3.2 is a different engine all together so not really ideal trying to compare the two, the 2.0t is the more popular but 3.2 is a great lump aswell, best plan would be to test drive both and see which you prefer to start with, all down to personal choice really , you either want a N/A 3.2 powered car with loads of torque or a mad as a box of frogs 2.0 turbo , I know which I prefer.
Quattro is your best plan for either really and is 100% mechanical , a very reliable setup.

Depends on whether you want more horsepower and lower down grunt out of the box, or if you’d like a decent amount of power but better mpg.

A4 doesn’t have Haldex, it’s 50/50 split mechanically rather than primarily fwd as in the TT/a3.

I test drove both when i bought mine, loved the sound of the 3.2 but it felt like it needed abit more grunt and theyre not that tuneable. Thats what sold it for me, the 2.0 tfsi will be cheaper to run and very tuneable and you can get a special edition with the 220hp bul. Just my opinion but i much prefer the way mine drives over the 3.2 i tested.

Reactions: Rob Avant and Charlie Farley
Thanks for the replies, I wasn’t so much looking for which is better then which, I know they are completely different engines and it comes down to personal taste more then anything, I was more interested in what to look out for with the 3.2 or 2.0. Are there any common faults etc :icon thumright:

The 3.2 is pretty solid as a motor. The main issues are around cam chains. They are at the back of the engine like on the v8 which makes them tricky to change. The tensioners are oil pressure fed so as long as it has had regular oil changes and is kept topped up there shouldn't be any issue. As they wear it rattles on startup from cold. So if there is more than a couple of seconds of rattling from cold I would be wary.
As it is fsi it suffers the same coking issues as the 2.0t but I don’t think it's as bad, I haven't had the manifold off mine which is on 75k but I took the throttle body off this week and it was extremely clean for 75k. As mentioned above there isn't much tuning scope but the v6 sounds great, add a free flow filter change the exhaust and add a remap and whilst it is still probably only 270bhp it certainly livens up the feel of the engine. I have had a b6 S4 miltek (dual pipes), b7 s4 miltek (quad pipes) and have just fitted a stock b7 quad pipes to mine and I think the S4 stock exhaust sounds the best, much better than on my S4. Real world mpg (based on fuel put in not the on-board computer which is optimistic) is about 26 based on my 25mile commute, I can see 30 if I'm doing motorway and not messing around also can see 20 if I drive it hard (which with the noise and the top down on my cab it's hard not to give it some!).

Last edited:
Reactions: winterrB6
Thanks for the reply was really helpful! There is one for sale on eBay with 81k on the clock. Hoping to go and have a look at the weekend. So I am to expect slight chain rattle on cold start but just for a few seconds? Yeah I’m not too bothered about the tunabilty, (have my girlfriends remapped 225 TT for fun) I’d much rather have the V6 soundtrack! Will update with how I get on!