Stupid aircon on/off

By the switch that has A.C. written on it and it will be glowing green
Hi there son has a 2007 sline a3 he is not sure how to switch the aircon off, as the car seems to be useing a lot of fuel, sorry to sound daft many thanks for help and time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Son has not got any buttons like that sorry to sound like a fool all the buttons he has are red when pushed in from what i can tell it might be something to do with econ? but not sure just a stab in the dark thanks

Son has not got any buttons like that sorry to sound like a fool all the buttons he has are red when pushed in from what i can tell it might be something to do with econ? but not sure just a stab in the dark thanks
You got a pic of switches

You got a pic of switches

Does it not look like this
1a32643720c096509e6093f53d1ba0f1.jpg

If the display is like the picture posted already, the air-con will be running when the Auto button is illuminated (a red LED) , to turn it off just press the Econ button and once both buttons are lit the air-con is then off.

If the display is like the picture posted already, the air-con will be running when the Auto button is illuminated (a red LED) , to turn it off just press the Econ button and once both buttons are lit the air-con is then off.
thank you very much will try to put some pics up as soon as poss when son brings car up but thanks again

The A/C will make very little difference to MPG figures, about 5% less miles, open all the windows instead and you'll loose 10% MPG.
Something else is wrong with the car, so what model and engine does the lad have?

Hi there without sounding a bit thick if the auto button is already illuminated red and ac is on would you have to press the auto button to turn the red light off to stop the ac.?
and not have both red lights on,
sorry to really sound daft as i have not a clue .

Or by putting the econ button on with red light does this overide the auto button when the light is red and then stops the ac as both light are on
sorry if i have confused you with what i have said as i am not sure why putting the econ on would switch the auto off when the auto :help: is already on many thanks for your time and help, and for trying to understand me

The different combinations of buttons pressed and what lights up is confusing to me as well but for definite ECON when red light on is definitely aircon OFF.

Later facelift models post 2008 had the button labelled as AC and makes sense as the red light lights up when the aircon is on, complete reverse.

The A/C will make very little difference to MPG figures, about 5% less miles, open all the windows instead and you'll loose 10% MPG.
Something else is wrong with the car, so what model and engine does the lad have?
Hi there he has the audi a3 2007 2.0 tdi 170 bhp s line, i think the main problem is his first car was a corsa 1.2sxi petrol and this being his second car and as it such a big change in the engine, he did not think it would be this much of a change in the running cost, so i think that this is the problem but the ac being on all the time as we not sure on how to switch it off can't be helping the mpg as the car is always on the road many thanks for your help

so do i need the
The different combinations of buttons pressed and what lights up is confusing to me as well but for definite ECON when red light on is definitely aircon OFF.

Later facelift models post 2008 had the button labelled as AC and makes sense as the red light lights up when the aircon is on, complete reverse.
so if the econ is red ac off will i also need to have the auto button red as nessy said above thanks so confused

Sorry I have to laugh a moment :yahoo: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------there that's done now.
Wait till he has to buy parts and servicing, then he'll know that they are more costly than a Corsa.
With diesel cars if it has a DPF, short journeys will knock the mpg right down, that's normal. There could be other problems with the injection system if the car was recalled after the Dieselgate VAG scandal. I'm diesel free for the last 5 years so not too sure which models were affected, someone will be along who's a bit more Au Fait with the latest diesel news.

Sorry I have to laugh a moment :yahoo: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------there that's done now.
Wait till he has to buy parts and servicing, then he'll know that they are more costly than a Corsa.
With diesel cars if it has a DPF, short journeys will knock the mpg right down, that's normal. There could be other problems with the injection system if the car was recalled after the Dieselgate VAG scandal. I'm diesel free for the last 5 years so not too sure which models were affected, someone will be along who's a bit more Au Fait with the latest diesel news.
that what i said to my son as this was his dream car and only being young as well and new job ,i said to him that the car was a different kind of league but son being young has all the answers and seen all the world lol had a shock said to him all the joys of the real world as mum and dad done it all for his first car lol

so do i need the

so if the econ is red ac off will i also need to have the auto button red as nessy said above thanks so confused

Yes to just the Econ light red, A/C is off, no matter what other button or setting, light is on/adjusted/pressed. So just forget everything else to do with the climate control buttons all you need to worry about is econ is red ac off

that what i said to my son as this was his dream car and only being young as well and new job ,i said to him that the car was a different kind of league but son being young has all the answers and seen all the world lol had a shock said to him all the joys of the real world as mum and dad done it all for his first car lol

Ha Ha, there's a few Dads that have gone through all this and there'll be many more. I have grandchildren now and kinda Round 2 for me these days.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for you help and time can't wait to show my son all of the above, going to be so funny when he reads what you said, i assume a pic of his face will say a thousand words lol all the joys of being young lol

Nice to chat to you Darren. By the way, you didn't mention how many MPG he's getting, worth posting up when you hear from the lad, I'm sure others on the forum will post up their ideas.

Thanks for your time and help i will ask him what he is getting on mpg i am glad i made you laugh as well, the other question i would like to ask please is how often do you think he should take the car for a good run to keep the dpf clear thanks

Not so much as how often, it should be driven a fair distance when he does drive it. Short 2 mile runs is not good enough but if he drives regular longer trips as well, it won't be a problem.