Amk engine

NZChoppa

Reaction score
Hi,

Writing from Perth. My s3 2001 was going awesome, until the tensioner failed, crankshaft now snapped. Am now looking for a second hand engine. I've been looking at usual places, but are there any sites/pages that I could be inquiring on? New to forum, and in Perth, s3 8l community is really really small. Thanks and cheers Dan

You don't need an s3 engine you can get an AMK, BAM or even APX, APY

Yeah, cheers,

The ****** engine is an AMK so am looking for one of those to go in.

BAM is identical but has a 225 map on the ECU.

As said transverse 1.8t engines are physically more or less the same... there are a couple of subtle differences but nothing that can't be worked around...

All transverse 1.8t cranks are the same... blocks are interchangeable (but are cast from at least two different sites, Mexico and Germany), head castings are interchangable....

I would suggest you source an engine from whatever 1.8t is more common in your country and go from there... the main differences are rods and VVT... the 210/225ps K04 turbo'd engines are 20mm pinned, have small port heads and AMK/BAM will have VVT... early narrowband engines (APX/APY) are non vvt so you will need to transfer bits over (inc cams as VVT cams are a little different)...

If cars like Mk4 golfs are common in your neck of the woods then you can use AGU or AUM engines... AGU is large port (which the internet will tell you is the best but in reality small port is better for the smaller turbos) and has 20mm pinned rods but no VVT so the cams and tensioner from the AMK will need to be transfered..

AUM is a small port 19mm pinned VVT enabled engine... this is not a bad place to start as you can just sling rods in and be done... but if your pistons are OK then its worth considering using the AMK pistons/pins + aftermarket rods in an AUM

Basically... don't get hung up looking for an AMK especially if they are not very common... you can make a decent 1.8t from any other 1.8t fitted to a transverse VAG car...

The engine in my car for example has the head from an AEB inline A4 engine, block from a 2001 TT 180 quattro and crank from a TFSi (stroker)... VAG cars are pretty much built from the parts bin so parts are interchangeable across any of their marques... Skoda, SEAT, VW and Audi...

<tuffty/>

Thanks so much all, much appreciated. Amks seem to be hard to find here.

So, I take it i could transplant a BAM fairly easily as I may be able to source a 150kms BAM interstate.