A third of Audi drivers will choose an electrified model in 2025

AudiSpy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What do we think to this?

Audi has outlined an ambition to sell 800,000 fully electric and plug-in hybrid cars in 2025.

Its updated Audi Vorsprung 2025 strategy states that there will be an electrified variant in each model series by the middle of the next decade.

Most E models are expected to be fully electric, with a smaller proportion as plug-in hybrids.

Rupert Stadler, chairman of the Board of Management of Audi AG, said: “Our goal is to revolutionise mobility. Also in electric mobility, we want to become the Number 1 among the premium manufacturers – with full suitability for everyday use, no compromises, top quality and driving pleasure for the customer. With our technological excellence, we are utilizing our Vorsprung and lifting electric mobility to the next level.”

The production version of the Audi e-tron prototype is the first result of the Roadmap E initiative, with which the premium brand will electrify its complete portfolio by 2025.

More than 20 electrified models are expected in rapid succession until 2025. In 2019, the Audi e-tron Sportback will be the second fully electric car to be launched, followed by the Audi e-tron GT from Audi Sport in 2020. Audi will also offer an electric model in the premium compact segment in 2020.

The production version of the Audi e-tron will be the first car that can be charged at rapid-charging stations with up to 150 kilowatts. This will make the electric SUV ready for the next long distance in under 30 minutes. Its lithium-ion battery provides a range of 250 miles.

Wasn't it only a couple of years ago but they are reporting that the National Grid would struggle to supply electricity due to the population growth so if were going to have electric cars where's the Electric coming from to power them. And it's a big no from me petrol diesel all the way until I'm forced

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Wasn't it only a couple of years ago but they are reporting that the National Grid would struggle to supply electricity due to the population growth so if were going to have electric cars where's the Electric coming from to power them. And it's a big no from me petrol diesel all the way until I'm forced

Newspaper's and Tabloids were reporting this yes...however unsurprisingly they failed to acknowledge the wider context, opting instead to ignore the whole picture and concentrate on the most sensationalist part they knew would grab headlines and sell papers....

The National Grid themselves had to provide their own press release to stop the wide spread misinformation that the press created, but of course, as with many things, the idea had already been planted and accepted by the masses despite it being completely misinformed...

http://fes.nationalgrid.com/media/1264/ev-myth-buster-v032.pdf

Reactions: martin1984
Newspaper's and Tabloids were reporting this yes...however unsurprisingly they failed to acknowledge the wider context, opting instead to ignore the whole picture and concentrate on the most sensationalist part they knew would grab headlines and sell papers....

The National Grid themselves had to provide their own press release to stop the wide spread misinformation that the press created, but of course, as with many things, the idea had already been planted and accepted by the masses despite it being completely misinformed...

http://fes.nationalgrid.com/media/1264/ev-myth-buster-v032.pdf
Its a intresting read but who really knows the truth as like in my post i could only comment using the facts i had heard wheather the true or not .

I'd like solar panels and electric everything, when I tell people this they think I'm a hippy but I'm really just trying to save some cash. I have some more self sustaining and money saving ideas but they're a bit more radical/unrealistic.

I won't be buying one. Long live the ICE!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Its a intresting read but who really knows the truth as like in my post i could only comment using the facts i had heard wheather the true or not .

Sure, we can't know for sure, but we can reasonably estimate the likelihood of different scenarios. Whilst a massive increase in peak demand could feasibly happen, it is extremely unlikely, since it relies on a set of assumptions that are just not likely to ever happen. As they say int he report, it's a bit like suggesting widespread adoption of kettles is a bad idea, because of the unlikely scenario of every single person in the country turning them on at the same time...My annoyance is with newspaper's not going to the trouble of explaining this important point, for obvious reasons...! At the same time, I can appreciate people aren't as sad as me and go and check source materials constantly....:p

Anyway, that's not to say there aren't important challenges with a move towards EV. Charging Infrastructure and the fact that estimates as high as 43% of the population can't charge their car at home is probably still the most pressing IMO.

Although some interesting thoughts on how this could be overcome in another of National Grid's articles. Particularly the 'chicken and egg' problem with installing high powered chargers at petrol stations.

http://fes.nationalgrid.com/media/1281/forecourt-thoughts-v12.pdf

I'd like solar panels and electric everything, when I tell people this they think I'm a hippy but I'm really just trying to save some cash. I have some more self sustaining and money saving ideas but they're a bit more radical/unrealistic.

There's been some really interesting developments in vehicle-to-grid technologies, and personally I think when the whole sale price of solar and batteries declines to a certain point (they have both been falling pretty rapidly already), the economics will be so overwhelmingly in favour of EV that it will cause a rapid uptake for that reason. This is likely to happen well before 2040 if historical trends continue.

The main reason for the large uptake in diesels was cheaper fuel bills and low VED. UK market share rose from 15% in 2000 to 50% in 2010...just 10 years! Economics are a large driving force (we can already see how much the current VED rules are driving buying habits on this forum, and that's to save just £310 a year!). The EV has the potential to be ridiculously cheap to run and maintain once the upfront costs are reduced. Low servicing costs, barely have to even replace brake pads due to regen braking, potentially greater reliability due to less moving parts, dramatically lower fuel bills (potentially to actually save money with solar/home battery/smart chargers), no VED (assuming <£40k RRP)...etc...

Of course the enthusiasts will still want ICE for emotional/personal preference, but I can't see a small number of ICE cars being a particular issue...? They will just be very cost prohibitive relatively speaking. But some will be happy to pay, just like classic car owners.

Autonomous driving is where things get a bit tricky....!