05 reg 3.2 A3 DSG

740mick

Reaction score
Evening all,i have a query about my latest purchase which is my 1st Audi,
The car is sitting on 104,000mls with service history,DSG serviced twice and again before i collected the car,
All is well except the car doesn,t seem to like reversing up our sloped driveway,reversing on the flat is no problem,when we go to reverse up the driveway it is very hesitant and almost feels like a manual car where you are not getting the clutch bite right,
I was wondering if i have a problem on the horizon or just an inability to drive my car properly.

I cant remember , does the dsg have a hill hold in reverse ? It obviously does going forward.

I,ve done the unmanly thing this morning of reading some of the manual and looking on you-tube Paddy and it seems to be driver error,
I,ve always had medium to large auto saloons but never in Audi flavour,with the DSG,nursing the accelerator pedal just heats the clutch plates up which causes the car to jerk on take off,where as a conventional auto will not as it uses a torque converter,
I must say i love the DSG as the gear changes are instant and seamless,so we,ll chalk this one down to my lack of knowledge having only just purchased the car.

Reactions: paddy
Welcome to the 3.2 club. She will drain all your £££ and keep you up at night. But oh my.. the noise.

Yep that's DSG reverse, I get that as well, just got to give it gas. Got a little better after I had my Dual Mass Flywheel. changed out.
If you can get someone with VCDS and do the DSG basic settings then it may help... may not.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

Good luck!

Reactions: 740mick
In reply to the above .... What is the biggest money drain for the VR6 .... Just interested as I may be purchasing an A3 3.2

I have sever chatter and lack of clutch engagement when reversing up a slope .... My dsg is munted .... Mainly needs new clutches and everything else, haha

OP about your car .... If your only have a bit engagement issues when in reverse up slopes than it's not to bad ....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Splbound,feel free to put your thoughts here,my recent 3.2 is my first Audi ever so any pointers would be handy,
I know all about spending money on cars as i,m a long term BMW owner:(

I dont think you can single out the 3.2 over any other 8p TBH
They are all of an age now where things will go wrong and it will be expensive. You may have a cam chain problem but its more than likely been done by now anyway. I have spent £5k this year on parts to replace knackered bits on a 2011 S3 with 65k miles, its the price you pay for running old cars whatever the make.

Reactions: SootySport
I totally agree with you there Paddy,i,ve always kept my BMW,s overserviced if there is such a thing in the hope that nasty surprises don,t pop up but sods law says if you keep em long enough some things just wear out and will need replacing,
Running slightly older cars and paying out on maintenance suits our circumstance as my car sits in the works car park all week and the wifes does 12 miles a day then a bit of social motoring at weekends so can,t see the point of having two new cars losing money just sat most of the time.

Splbound,feel free to put your thoughts here,my recent 3.2 is my first Audi ever so any pointers would be handy,
I know all about spending money on cars as i,m a long term BMW owner:(

My thought go along the lines of what Paddy has said. These things are getting on and the cost is in the maintenance.
I think the 3.2 is a little bit trickier due to the cramped engine bay and requiring lots of stuff being removed to get to where you need to be, translating into a larger labour cost if you don't DIY.

Big ticket items to watch out for would be, Chains, DSG and any issues to do with the oem cats/downpipe/flexis.

Reactions: 740mick
V6 A3's are probably the best incarnation of an A3 but I would regard them now as an enthusiast car, meaning time and money need to be spent on them. Ok for a 2nd. Car but not an everyday car due to their age.

Reactions: vincep2332
The question is when does age become a factor ?
I put a new cam chain ,VVT units, tensioner etc in a 3.2 at 4 years old 40k miles cost £6k with over a £1200 of that down to fault diagnosis time by audi.
I put a new diff and haldex unit in the S3 at 6 years 60k miles cost £4k.
I think the real cost here is not age as such other than it being out of warranty so 3 years. Performance cost money whether you are on 4k miles or 104k miles in my experience.

I think its a very personal thing, for me I'm on a tight budget so have to be careful how I plan maintenance costs etc, but its still cheaper than trying to find 10k or more.
Any work I do on FrankenAudi has to be done out on the road which means some things simply cannot be done.

Mine is a commuter and does approx 1400 miles a month , I dont actually mind the costs too much as any car will cost money as it ages and yes there will get to be a point in time where you have to say enough is enough , its just how much appetite you have for expense.

Me I just love the soundtrack on full chat ....for that cost is worth it :-0

The question is when does age become a factor ?
I put a new cam chain ,VVT units, tensioner etc in a 3.2 at 4 years old 40k miles cost £6k with over a £1200 of that down to fault diagnosis time by audi.
I put a new diff and haldex unit in the S3 at 6 years 60k miles cost £4k.
I think the real cost here is not age as such other than it being out of warranty so 3 years. Performance cost money whether you are on 4k miles or 104k miles in my experience.

All that work on your V6 simply should not have been necessary when 4 years old, S3 repairs as well. I reckon you were just unlucky.
So when is a car too old to use as a reliable daily? It does vary, partly your own perception, maybe just age and mileage or how you service and maintain it. On the whole cars are more reliable, just look at some Toyotas, they seem to go on for years and never break down.
I would tend to keep a daily car about 12 years give or take.

You and I are of an age where cars rusted away long before they expired mechanically :)

I had a 1984 Manta GTE that i sold in 1990, obviously 6 years old and the whole front end collapsed when the struts came up through the inner wings where they had simply rusted away :)
I look at my S3 now and its the same as when i bought it brand new, its more likely to die now of legislation than anything else...

You and I are of an age where cars rusted away long before they expired mechanically :)

The previous car I had in Sydney was a 1979 Toyota Celica. Last used it in 2005 when I left for the UK and it was still running strong and freakishly rust free. Mechanical everything. only electronics was the stereo system I put in it. Would bet that it would still be running strong until my pops flipped it. Yep WTF. Previous car was a Mitsubishi Sigma 2.8L which of course was my first car and propmptly dorifto'd into a writeoff.

I have never had as much trouble with those cars, they were simple and I understood them with plenty of space in the engine bay to work on.

I had a 1984 Manta GTE that i sold in 1990, obviously 6 years old and the whole front end collapsed when the struts came up through the inner wings where they had simply rusted away :)
I look at my S3 now and its the same as when i bought it brand new, its more likely to die now of legislation than anything else...

See, I told you, Unlucky:smile new:

Reactions: paddy