Modifying firewall behind engine, what is behind the firewall?

Warsuperior

Reaction score
My turbo with this exhaust manifold(I cannot really recommend anyone buying this anymore) sits too close to firewall.
See attached picture.
Car is S3

Turbine housing is touching the power steering pipe, which is not good, I have to make new one that goes some other route and compressor housing has approx 1cm room.
I have suspicion that engine is going to move back and worth under acceleration and deceleration and might hit the firewall, so I have to modify it

What is behind the firewall or is it ok to hammer it inwards bit?

Attachments

• IMG_20180521_180307_395.jpg
    IMG_20180521_180307_395.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 106
The heater housing...

Mods the pipes... its going to be easier...

Sadly thats the problem with the type of manifold you have

<tuffty/>

I already bought copper pipe and going to mod it to fit.
If I had known that with that manifold is so little room, I would not have bought it but since turbo retailer said that they have used that manifold and fits okey, I believed. oh well..

Im going to hammer the wall slightly in so turbo wont come in touch with it under hard acceleration.

Tuffty how lot does your engine move when accelerate/decelerate?

copper pipe? not sure that is really suitable for this application tbh...

My engine doesn't move much at all...

<tuffty/>

copper pipe? not sure that is really suitable for this application tbh...

My engine doesn't move much at all...

<tuffty/>

well copper is easiest to modify and it only has to deliver hydraulic fluid. Do you have doubts or knowledge why it would not work? I still can change the pipe type.
Other end of pipe is pipe clamped to rubber hose and other end is brassed to rubber pipe.

Edit: Going to use metal pipe to be sure.

What engine mounts do you have?

Last edited:
I would use seamless stainless tubing myself but I guess if its not the pressured side of the system it 'should' work... just seems a bit of a cobble :)

I have vibratechnic mounts and the dogbone has both bushes replaced with powerflex ones

<tuffty/>

on picture number 7 pipe

I have new normal mounts so I think Im going to expect some "rocking".
I had red strongflex bushes on dogbone on A3 but it resonated and vibrated horribly to chassis.

Vibratech looks nice but bit pricey.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    146.9 KB · Views: 92
I would be tempted to bend it out the way... and good luck on std mounts... engines on std mounts try to climb out the engine bay on std power let alone what you are doing...

<tuffty/>

Yep Im going to first try bend it too and see if that is possible.
I bought new std mounts before I decided to take another route with engine.
Do you know any other good(cheaper) mounts?

What color is your powerflex mounts?

You can fill the voids with polyurathane... Prawn and others have done this with mixed results...

No such thing as cheap when modding cars...

I have a yellow large bush and purple small bush (fnarr)

<tuffty/>

I read too about filling them. Some say chassis urethane is best, what is used to put metals together.
I guess I try that since its waste to not use the new mounts. In the end, I know I buy better ones, too bad im poor atm :D

I found polyurethane filling but its shore A80, wondering is that too sftiff=lot vibration to chassis
It'd be good to check with @Prawn but I believe he (and many others) are running ~85A durometer polyurethane off the top of my head.

I went with some 70A on my LCR as I wanted to firm things up but keep things a little more road friendly and haven't had any issues as a result, however many have said the same about the harder compound. Lots of variables can make for different levels of NVH between similar cars.

I went for Shore 65, middle ground you might say.
Read that 60 is near OEM feeling, not lot of vibrations to indoors.
We shall see how it works out when they arrive and I get the car running :D its still in pieces

It'd be good to check with @Prawn but I believe he (and many others) are running ~85A durometer polyurethane off the top of my head.

I went with some 70A on my LCR as I wanted to firm things up but keep things a little more road friendly and haven't had any issues as a result, however many have said the same about the harder compound. Lots of variables can make for different levels of NVH between similar cars.
very stiff mounts in prawnys...
knock sensors beware

Reactions: Rainbird
I went for Shore 65, middle ground you might say.
Read that 60 is near OEM feeling, not lot of vibrations to indoors.
We shall see how it works out when they arrive and I get the car running :D its still in pieces

The stock mounts have large voids, so even a relatively soft compound in there instead will help to reduce movement at least a little I'd imagine.

very stiff mounts in prawnys...
knock sensors beware

The first rule of Prawn's A3 is we don't ta...