S-line Chrome Tail Pipe's

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Hi.

I've got a 2013 , 2.0 tdi S-line 150ps. Been thinking about changing the twin chrome tail pipes as they've been neglected by the previous owner. Look a bit claggy and slightly rusted.

Any suggestions on replacement ? I've seen some on the Audi website for around £50. Are there alternatives? Also are they easy enough to remove and replace ? I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I am a novice with those kind of thing, though I am quite practical.

Thanks in advance

Any how to's knocking around on how to change these tail pipes ?

Bought some for my mk6 golf and my current a3. Cost about £20 for two on Amazon. 100% worth it

Top-Longer 2 x Stainless Steel Exhaust Trim Highly Polished Amazon product

I have heard that 'Autosol' metal polisher somewhat restores a bit of life to the chrome element of the tailpipes. May be worth a try?

Reactions: Scotty75
I have heard that 'Autosol' metal polisher somewhat restores a bit of life to the chrome element of the tailpipes. May be worth a try?
Autosol is good for well, cleaning and polishing them ... but if they are corroded (like mine) then it is too late!

Any how to's knocking around on how to change these tail pipes ?

The S3 ones are held on with spring clips. There are various threads with suggestions on how to remove the exhaust tips. I've read the threads but I've never been able to get the exhaust tips off my S3. Maybe I'm too timid but they will not budge.

Reactions: Scotty75 and oli356
Been quoted £53 for a new pair so I bought some Autosol , going to try that and see what results I get before buying replacements.

Been quoted £53 for a new pair so I bought some Autosol , going to try that and see what results I get before buying replacements.

I just did mine today. It's a messy job but they do look much better. Autosol and a microfibre cloth. You do have to press quite hard and use a fair quantity of polish to have a hope of shifting the baked on soot especially on the inner lip at the bottom. Mine are slightly pitted at the bottom so I can't get them perfect without resorting to something more abrasive (like steel wool). I might be more more brutal next time.

Steel wool sounds a bit harsh though. .. .

Yes but if the metal is pitted you can't clean the black soot out of the pits without flattening the metal back. You can either be a bit brutal or get it as good as you can with less harsh means.

Fair comment I guess. I'll try the microfibre first though.

Good plan. That's what I've been doing. If (when) the pitting gets really bad I'll be more brutal because by then the only other option is replacement.

Tips cleaned with a bit of tar remover and WD40 then polished up with Autosol.

333cdde7-ce73-45a9-8366-66d4c9737b14-jpeg.153675

Later sealed with Angelwax bilberry wheel wax sealant.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago so not washed them yet to see if it repels the soot better and hopefully be easier to clean.

Reactions: sgtvic, NevMan, Chris43 and 2 others
Well, had a go at the tail pipes yesterday. Autglym Tar Remover and then polished with Autosol, got to say I was quite surprised by the results.

Reactions: A4A4 and NevMan
Tips cleaned with a bit of tar remover and WD40 then polished up with Autosol.

333cdde7-ce73-45a9-8366-66d4c9737b14-jpeg.153675

Later sealed with Angelwax bilberry wheel wax sealant.

This was nearly 2 weeks ago so not washed them yet to see if it repels the soot better and hopefully be easier to clean.

Very good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: A4A4
Very good job

I have escaped this task so far, as have Q5 with “hidden” pipes that most people don’t like, especially on SQ5. BUT, my wife is about to take delivery of new Mini JCW, with the twin pipes very much on show

8736fd73db2496b4eaf96d534e03a1dd.jpg

So best I order some of this autosol.

Reactions: A4A4
To be fair I may have a go with the steel wool idea yet. On the whole the pipes have come up really well. Just one stubborn spot on the lip of the tail pipe that won't polish out.

I have escaped this task so far, as have Q5 with “hidden” pipes that most people don’t like, especially on SQ5. BUT, my wife is about to take delivery of new Mini JCW, with the twin pipes very much on show

8736fd73db2496b4eaf96d534e03a1dd.jpg

So best I order some of this autosol.

i would definitely get some Autosol. Really is rather good stuff. Got mine on Ebay but Halfords sell it too.

Those tail pipes look quite tidy , like the JCW engraving.. ..

To be fair I may have a go with the steel wool idea yet. On the whole the pipes have come up really well. Just one stubborn spot on the lip of the tail pipe that won't polish out.

I got some 0000 wire wool from screwfix, haven't noticed any scratches at all and that's using it with autosol. They haven't been touched for a while though so may have to try and get them off!

I got some 0000 wire wool from screwfix, haven't noticed any scratches at all and that's using it with autosol. They haven't been touched for a while though so may have to try and get them off!

That's what I use and it doesn't scratch them as far as I can see but does get the soot off - Eventually they pit though (the more you keep them clean the longer it will take) because they are just chromed rather than stainless

That's what I use and it doesn't scratch them as far as I can see but does get the soot off - Eventually they pit though (the more you keep them clean the longer it will take) because they are just chromed rather than stainless
Use the same method myself, 0000 wire and autosol makes it easier and has never scratched them.

One thing to look at though; Over the winter I took the tips off to clean, ended up leaving them off for a few months. Anyway, whilst they were off the Shell garage I use (use V-Power 99% of the time) closed down for a refurb so I started using Costco's own performance fuel. I put my shiny tips back on when I was using Costco's fuel and was having to clean the tips after most drives. Have been back on V-power for about a month now and I am back to cleaning the tips maybe once a week. Worth the extra coin for the cleaner tips.

Reactions: NevMan
Use the same method myself, 0000 wire and autosol makes it easier and has never scratched them.

One thing to look at though; Over the winter I took the tips off to clean, ended up leaving them off for a few months. Anyway, whilst they were off the Shell garage I use (use V-Power 99% of the time) closed down for a refurb so I started using Costco's own performance fuel. I put my shiny tips back on when I was using Costco's fuel and was having to clean the tips after most drives. Have been back on V-power for about a month now and I am back to cleaning the tips maybe once a week. Worth the extra coin for the cleaner tips.

I use V Power most of the time as well and I agree - Usually clean the car once a week but sometimes two depending on weather and they seem to be reasonably clean

Car is only 3 months old and have kept them clean to stop the pitting

I use V Power most of the time as well and I agree - Usually clean the car once a week but sometimes two depending on weather and they seem to be reasonably clean

Car is only 3 months old and have kept them clean to stop the pitting
You got to keep on top of them religiously, I failed and have pitting on two :blownose:

Started to carry a pack of wet wipes in the car since; you get some funny looks when your out and about and clean them but they just dont understand our pain....

Reactions: Sparks43
my tips are 4 years old and are as clean as the day I got the car.
maybe once a week I use a wet wipe and after the summer a little tar remover but other than that nowt, I do not live in a salty environment though which is where the pitting likely comes in.

Trust me I am no cleaning nut, on average clean the car once a year but the wheels once a fortnight and the wet wipe preventative maintenance works a treat.

I failed miserably trying to get mine off a week or two ago... Tried just pulling and twisting, using a pry tool to push the clip and then pull... Nothing lol

They are a pain in the bum to say the least. They need to be turned clockwise about a 1/4 turn then they should pull off. However, easier said than done!

Reactions: oli356
my tips are 4 years old and are as clean as the day I got the car.
I don't think Audi are fitting chrome of the same quality these days. The tips on my last car were cleaned maybe once a year and were like new when the car was sold at three years old. FL tips are all well pitted and they started rot at about six months old. Audi refused warranty replacement.

Reactions: Tom.H
I don't think Audi are fitting chrome of the same quality these days. The tips on my last car were cleaned maybe once a year and were like new when the car was sold at three years old. FL tips are all well pitted and they started rot at about six months old. Audi refused warranty replacement.

That's kinda why I've given up on them a bit, once it was detailed they were fairly easy to keep nice. Once the weather changed slightly, together with shifts I was on meaning they didn't get cleaned for a couple of weeks they took so long to try and get nice it just became silly! My R32 tips (albeit Milltek) looked better at about 7 years old!

Agree not the best quality chrome but putting on a bit of wheel sealant helped to get them cleaned up quick enough. Come up okay.

Just washed them today after over 2 weeks of use.

Before and after shot.

DE13DA8E FDBA 4577 85E4 D0C68BEF4EDE

Agree not the best quality chrome but putting on a bit of wheel sealant helped to get them cleaned up quick enough. Come up okay.

Just washed them today after over 2 weeks of use.

Before and after shot.

View attachment 157266

Jesus, the S3 tips would be black after 2 weeks!