Is there a way to stop the car from moving when you lift of the brake? (Automatic)

LaurenP

Reaction score
Im about to ask a dumb question so please don't laugh lol.

I have the 1.5 petrol automatic A3 for about 2 weeks now and this is the first automatic car i own. However i was wondering can you stop the car from moving forward when i lift of the brake?

For example let's say I'm heading towards the traffic light and the light turns red, obviously I brake BUT i have to hold the break until the lights go yellow/green otherwise my car would move up to 3mph without me pressing the accelerator. So how do i stop the car moving when i lift my brake when I'm not moving? Im asking because i feel like a noob holding my break and cars behind me probs thinking why is she holding the break because they can see my brakes lights are on.

Is this possible to stop? I don't want to shift my gear to netrual because sometimes it will rollback and i get scared again i need to press the break for that too and cars behind priobs think why i keep hitting my break lights. :(

World first problems lol:welcoming:

Appreciate the help

Typed on iPhone.

It's completely normal for automatic cars to creep forward in drive if you don't hold them on the foot brake. If it bothers you put the hand brake on. The electronic hand brake releases automatically once you put your foot on the accelerator to move forward (or you can release it manually).

Reactions: Audi Bairn and oli356
Personally I just keep brake pressed but I think you could also put the car in ‘P’ to disengage drive

Don’t forget to pull handbrake though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn
It's completely normal for automatic cars to creep forward in drive if you don't hold them on the foot brake. If it bothers you put the hand brake on. The electronic hand brake releases automatically once you put your foot on the accelerator to move forward (or you can release it manually).
I also notice that the electric handbreak is very rusty like when i press it my car like shakes and move forward and cars behind me think i just pulled the break like in rocket speed. Also how do i turn this on automatically?

Personally I just keep brake pressed but I think you could also put the car in ‘P’ to disengage drive

Don’t forget to pull handbrake though

When you press your handbrake does your car shakes? It feels really weird and awkward its like pulling the breaks up fast manaually.

When you press your handbrake does your car shakes? It feels really weird and awkward its like pulling the breaks up fast manaually.

I never use hand break while in drive, because you still get some resistance from drive. Just use foot break for short periods and put in ‘P’ for
Longer stops.

I either keep my foot on the brake and will just use the handbrake if I can't be bothered and know I'm going to be sat there for quite a while.

Other times though, like in slow moving stop / start traffic, having the car move forwards is a benefit of the auto!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Weeb
Im about to ask a dumb question so please don't laugh lol.

I have the 1.5 petrol automatic A3 for about 2 weeks now and this is the first automatic car i own. However i was wondering can you stop the car from moving forward when i lift of the brake?

For example let's say I'm heading towards the traffic light and the light turns red, obviously I brake BUT i have to hold the break until the lights go yellow/green otherwise my car would move up to 3mph without me pressing the accelerator. So how do i stop the car moving when i lift my brake when I'm not moving? Im asking because i feel like a noob holding my break and cars behind me probs thinking why is she holding the break because they can see my brakes lights are on.

Is this possible to stop? I don't want to shift my gear to netrual because sometimes it will rollback and i get scared again i need to press the break for that too and cars behind priobs think why i keep hitting my break lights. :(

World first problems lol:welcoming:

Appreciate the help

Typed on iPhone.
Just use the Handbrake that’s what it’s there for.

I also notice that the electric handbreak is very rusty like when i press it my car like shakes and move forward and cars behind me think i just pulled the break like in rocket speed. Also how do i turn this on automatically?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is but do not put the handbrake on unless you have brought the car to a complete stop with the foot brake.

I just press the brake pedal. Not sure if auto hold/ hill hold could help? I wouldn’t worry so much about what others are thinking behind. You’ll see more cars at the lights with their brakes lights on than not.

Reactions: RK10
Highway code states to use the handbrake "In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27"
How long is it since you passed your test?

Reactions: KenL
Highway code states to use the handbrake "In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
Law RVLR reg 27"
How long is it since you passed your test?
:scared2:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what the problem is but do not put the handbrake on unless you have brought the car to a complete stop with the foot brake.
Ok thanks you can actually hear the handbreak move when you press the button

Auto hill hold. Best option ever on an auto car.

Reactions: Chris43, Bells and Jimbo10
Assume you haven’t got Hold Assist then - it’s a great (and relatively cheap) feature.
If the car is stationary and you pull up the parking brake you can sometimes hear it come on, but it shouldn’t be noisy.

Assume you haven’t got Hold Assist then - it’s a great (and relatively cheap) feature.
If the car is stationary and you pull up the parking brake you can sometimes hear it come on, but it shouldn’t be noisy.
Is it the P logo? I think i have it but not sure

*If you have two switches just behind the gear selector, then you have Hold Assist. If only one you don’t. The one is the parking brake.
Maybe you should take the manual to bed to read :whistle2:

Reactions: NevMan, SamR92, davemk and 1 other person
*If you have two switches just behind the gear selector, then you have Hold Assist. If only one you don’t. The one is the parking brake.
Maybe you should take the manual to bed to read :whistle2:
Dam i don't have it :(:(

Dam i don't have it :(:(

The electronic parking brake will accomplish what hold assist will accomplish- you just have to pull the parking brake switch up manually once you're at a complete stop. As others have suggested, just apply the accelerator when it's time to move forward again and the parking brake will release.

Reactions: NevMan
Auto hill hold would be great if it didn't leave the brake lights on.

To all the folk on here who either use auto hold or just sit on the brakes does it not annoy you having your retinas burned out by the car in front when in a queue when driving in the dark? (pretty much all the time during winter)

You should always apply the handbrake when sitting in a queue, if somebody goes into the back of you your foot will come off the brake pedal and you will shoot forward and hit the car in front. Applying the handbrake greatly reduces the chance of this.

To the OP as others have suggested bring your car to a stop using the brake pedal then just click the handbrake on to hold the car. When you want to set off again a touch of the accelerator will disengage the handbrake.

Reactions: NevMan and Phutters
I have and use hill hold assist, personally speaking doesn't bother me if the car in front has its brake lights on - I don't look at them.

Reactions: Chris43 and Audi Bairn
Hill hold is great, I would never have an auto without it now! Saying that, just remember to turn it off when doing Launches.... it does bog the car down a bit if you don't!

I have and use hill hold assist, personally speaking doesn't bother me if the car in front has its brake lights on - I don't look at them.
I’m the same, it wouldn’t stop me using hill hold assist because it leaves the brake lights on, for whatever reason Audi designed them to be like this.

It’s a laziness thing but I would really miss the feature if I moved to another auto without it!

Auto hill hold would be great if it didn't leave the brake lights on.

To all the folk on here who either use auto hold or just sit on the brakes does it not annoy you having your retinas burned out by the car in front when in a queue when driving in the dark? (pretty much all the time during winter)
I can't help but feel you're a bit of a lone voice crying in the wilderness, admirable though your sentiments are.

Almost everybody sits in stationary traffic with their footbrake buried in the carpet these days.

It's a sad fact of life that most people just don't give a toss about anybody else. Me, me, me. You see it all the time. Thoughtlessness, ignorance and an almost complete lack of courtesy, from hogging the middle lane on motorways to refusing to let people out at junctions or while filtering in queues. The list is endless.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that you should step down from your own little piece of moral high ground though; far from it.

Someone of us have to try and maintain standards if for no reason other than to slow humanity's headlong rush to self-inflicted oblivion.

For what it's worth, my manual 2.0TFSI (see, I'm a traditionalist too - I won't have an automatic) has HHA, and I reckon it's the dog's danglements. It's just so useful, especially when you're towing something.

It's the best value option you can specify on a new car.

Reactions: NevMan, Chris43, Tom.H and 2 others
I can't help but feel you're a bit of a lone voice crying in the wilderness, admirable though your sentiments are.

Almost everybody sits in stationary traffic with their footbrake buried in the carpet these days.

It's a sad fact of life that most people just don't give a toss about anybody else. Me, me, me. You see it all the time. Thoughtlessness, ignorance and an almost complete lack of courtesy, from hogging the middle lane on motorways to refusing to let people out at junctions or while filtering in queues. The list is endless.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that you should step down from your own little piece of moral high ground though; far from it.

Someone of us have to try and maintain standards if for no reason other than to slow humanity's headlong rush to self-inflicted oblivion.

For what it's worth, my manual 2.0TFSI (see, I'm a traditionalist too - I won't have an automatic) has HHA, and I reckon it's the dog's danglements. It's just so useful, especially when you're towing something.

It's the best value option you can specify on a new car.

Sounds like you need to loosen up a bit, making such sweeping statements like those above just doesn’t sit right with me

Sounds like you need to loosen up a bit, making such sweeping statements like those above just doesn’t sit right with me
Chin up!

Sounds like you're taking me far more seriously than I deserve...

:couple inlove:

Reactions: NevMan

Actually, Mr. Phutters comments are pretty much bang on in my opinion.

Reactions: NevMan and RK10
^ Couldn't agree more, should be standard on autos...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Had it on my manual S3 and didn’t really use it at all (then the car was stolen) and I drove an auto without the hill hold and just had to have it again as it is a must, like you said should be standard.

Had it on my manual S3 and didn’t really use it at all (then the car was stolen) and I drove an auto without the hill hold and just had to have it again as it is a must, like you said should be standard.

I have an S-tronic. My car doesn't have hill hold assist but it does have hill-start assist. When stopped the car will not roll back in the short time between taking the foot off the foot brake and depressing the accelerator. If stopped on a hill for any length of time I'd put the hand brake on and then the hand brake will automatically disengage as soon as the accelerator is depressed. I guess I don't quite know what I'm missing not having hill hold assist!

I never use hand break while in drive, because you still get some resistance from drive. Just use foot break for short periods and put in ‘P’ for Longer stops.

In my car Stronic it feels like drive is completely disengaged when the parking brake is applied.

To the OP as others have suggested bring your car to a stop using the brake pedal then just click the handbrake on to hold the car. When you want to set off again a touch of the accelerator will disengage the handbrake.
That’s true, but it doesn’t come on again when you come to a halt next time. Hold Assist does that.

What's the difference between a manual and auto?

When you stop, put it in neutral and engage the parking (hand) brake.

Hopefully that will make the engine cut out to help save the planet ;-)

Certainly with an auto you don’t have to put it in neutral and apply the parking brake for the engine to cut out.
Just come to a halt and the engine will stop (depending on certain criteria). If you have Hold Assist you can take your foot of the brake.

I’ve got HIll Hold Assist and won’t buy another car without it, it’s a nice feature to have.
It’s handy for stop/start traffic and stopping on declines and if you stop long enough it will actually switch from holding the brakes to applying the handbrake automatically.

I’ve got HIll Hold Assist and won’t buy another car without it, it’s a nice feature to have.
It’s handy for stop/start traffic and stopping on declines and if you stop long enough it will actually switch from holding the brakes to applying the handbrake automatically.
I use my Hold Assist all the time and have never seen it switch to the parking brake. How long does it have to stop before it does this?

Nope! :)

Reactions: Kev57, Weeb and Tom.H
Auto hill hold. Best option ever on an auto car.
Just about to say the same, I didn't know exactly how it worked before I went for a test drive, then added it as soon as we got back :) Then found out they didn't charge me for it :) Thinks it's standard on the A5 now, but was only about £70 to add if paying for it!

For those that don't know, you push the brake down, a green light pops up on the dash to say it's engaged, take your foot off the brake and you just sit there until you push the accelerator....no need to touch anything else to keep you from creeping forward whilst at the lights etc. :)

Reactions: Mike.