Cruise Control Retrofit Not Working

TitaniumTom

Reaction score
Evening all,

So, cruise control stalk fitted, Engine ECU coded (now has the 'G' in the engine code). Steering module coded. Clutch and brake switches checked on live data working fine, cruise on off switch checked on live data working fine. Yet the cruise doesn't work! Have I missed a module or something?

Also should there be anything to show that the cruise is on before setting the speed or not? There wasn't on my Mk2 Focus (also retrofitted cruise to that) but I know there is on some cars.

Cheers
Tom

Year of the car? Part number of the steering wheel controller?

Year of the car? Part number of the steering wheel controller?

2004 2.0 TDI. 1K0-953-549-A which should be midline and OK for cruise according to the Rosstech site. Also already had a wire in pin 13 on the plug so I didn't have to add one.

What is the part number of the stalk you're using as there are 3 different designs depending on MY.

Decode modules & recode, sometimes needs this, also some modules can take a while to take the coding as such.

Check wire reaches ecu altjpugh would show error in Ecu 01 if not detecting stalk, but check ECU anyway for stalk signals.

What is the part number of the stalk you're using as there are 3 different designs depending on MY.

8P0953513. I didn't realise there were different ones so that may be the problem.

Decode modules & recode, sometimes needs this, also some modules can take a while to take the coding as such.

Check wire reaches ecu altjpugh would show error in Ecu 01 if not detecting stalk, but check ECU anyway for stalk signals.

The stalk on/off function is detected in the measuring blocks so ECU wire should be correct?

Will try decoding and recoding now.

If the stalk is detected in mvb's then I doubt it's this & there are 2 versions not 3, one is self return for my 08.5 cars onwards & other is for previous years but the only difference is the headlight top part, the lower cruise stalk is the same as I've stripped all these & swapped parts across without issues.

Reactions: TitaniumTom
Well this is weird... Just been for a drive and fiddling with the stalk...10 minutes in it held the speed and the green light came on!

However, it will only hold a speed by pushing the stalk upwards. Cancel and speed decrease also work. But the set button and resume don't work at all.

I'm hoping thats just a glitch and it'll fix itself at done point. But at least I have working cruise control now!! :D

More than likely it's your steering controller version that differentiates the values of the stalk values, it's a known thing tbh.

Does the speed hold just with a flick upwards or do you need to hold it up to stay at the cruise speed?

More than likely it's your steering controller version that differentiates the values of the stalk values, it's a known thing tbh.

Does the speed hold just with a flick upwards or do you need to hold it up to stay at the cruise speed?

Just a flick upwards holds the speed so it's fully useable, just can't resume the previous set speed.

Change out slip ring & steering module if you want the stalk to work as per the icons.

Change out slip ring & steering module if you want the stalk to work as per the icons.

I'll live with it tbh, not worth the extra cost for me. I've got working cruise for under £50 so that's good enough, I don't need the resume button. Thanks for your help on this though!