Any help for a 0522 ECU Communications Errors

Stuart B

Reaction score
It occurs when an ABS light flashes around slow tight corners or fast corners - left or right. the traction cuts out at the same time.

I have added the missing earth lead to the haldex.

Upload 2018 6 24 12 11 20

I am wondering whether a rear wheel speed sensor might cause this?

Thanks

Okay so to try and simplify this.

Has anyone had an ecu fault which can cause the traction control to kick in on corners, as if a loose connection or maybe a bad earth somewhere or other wiring fault, I am trying to determine whether the fault is related to:

1. movement causing a wiring loss in communication -- faulty wiring / ecu fault

or

2. whether the movement is confusing the computer into an indecision - ecu fault, abs sensor faults, esp faults?

or

3. whether a message is being sent to a component and it didn't respond? - component fault

Any ideas? I know it's a difficult one, but... I'm sure someone's has a difficulty like this before.

Hmmm, that's interesting - Would it be intermittent?
Is there a way I could test this with vagcom or vcdslite.

It's not every corner but is definitely related tho turning.

I had a similar issue for years (although not sure if its the same thing precisely), with the ABS light coming on in tight corners with rear wheel locking depending on which direction I was turning. It was also doing in when attempting 3 point turns, but due to those slow speeds I could not see the abs light flicker just the wheel lock. BUT in all the years I had the issue not one single error showing up on VCD! It seemed to be worse in winters then summers.

Cut a long story short, I was lucky enough to find a brand new haldex controller unit (old shelf stock) from Ebay in USA.
Problem solved.

Can you try and remove certain fuses to narrow down the problem area?
What does seem common in all your errors, is the failure communicating with the ABS control unit.

I could, I suppose try to drive with ESP off to see if I get any power cut out?

so tests are
1. find an exact replication turning, eg mini roundabout @ 15 MPH @ half power half way round corner.
2. pull haldex fuse
3. try with ESP button pressed

4. track wiring - for potential break etc
5. consider steering angle sensor

6. new ECU?

okay so 522 hex is 01314 decimal so that is the actual error.

I scanned using VCDS Lite instead of VAGCOM and got these errors with scanning "instruments" which is the same as "dashboard" in VAGCOM

01304 and 01305 are due to the Kenwood 521 DAB / DVD player but it also has 01314

Code:
VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Tuesday, 03 July 2018, 16:42:08.
Control Module Part Number: 8N2 920 980 A
  Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. M73 D12
  Software Coding: 05444
  Work Shop Code: WSC 00720
  VCID: 351DA2D71C59
  Additional Info: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
  Additional Info: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 
3 Faults Found:
01314 -  Engine Control Module
  49-10 -  No Communications - Intermittent
01304 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
  49-00 - Please Register/Activate
01305 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
  37-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Ross Tech state this

Upload 2018 7 3 18 25 33

What I will need to do is next time it happens rescan to check whether all the components have experienced the same error together.

I dont understand what the second of the possible causes might mean? too many faults stored, some strange fault? or whether these is simply being stored when I flash the map? which I did today after I cleared the faults.

I assume you still have the original file you pulled from the ECU?... have you tried flashing that back in in case its an issue with changes you have made?

<tuffty/>

I do still have the stock map, but I think the issue was happening before I changed any of the map. It has only happened once since looking at the haldex connector. (It looked okay i just sprayed in silicon spray)

The only map changes I made were to lamfa and ldrxn, whenever I touched the timing it only got to 6000 rpm then the timing was lost.

It's related to either the steering, the wheels, or the change in direction.

Sounds like the steering angle sensor needs to be recalibrated.