A3 ESP comes in when you least expect it????

PhilipB

Reaction score
The Thatched House, Hundred Lane, SO41 5RG
I have a 2010 A3 and just recently when motorway driving (80 mph+) the ESP will kick in for no apparent reason and the car feels as though it is going into a slide!! Mainly happens on right-hand curves, but my wife says she had it happen on a straight. Very unnerving and bl**dy dangerous. No fault is showing on the dash, just the ESP lighting up when it does its thing!! Has anyone any experience of this and what needs fixing/replacing? I'm just guessing this is going to cost a packet, can I turn the ESP off?

Reactions: LJA
Sounds similar to what I had... Has the car been in for a recall for the ABS unit? Audi/VW did a recall to replace software and ABS units last year.

Also, get the car scanned for errors/diagnose in case a wheel speed sensor is playing-up.

If it’s 4wd it could be the rear haldex not working. I was getting wheel spin at 60 mph.

Would need haldex pump replacing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the suggestions. No, the car has not had a recall since we bought it and we use it a fair bit in Spain when we are there, hence a lot of high speed motorway work through France and Spain. It's not 4wd just an ordinary A£ Sportback. We've had it 8 years with virtually no problems.

The fact that this happens at speed is the thing of most concern. It has happened when I have been overtaking a lorry and I suddenly get the sensation that the car is "drifting" towards the crash barrier. Quite scary, and then it's back to normal, but I'm left wondering when it might happen again, so inevitably slow down!! At first I thought it might just be me, but then my wife mentioned that she had a similar experience whilst on a relatively straight stretch of motorway.

I shall take it to my local garage and get a diagnostic check and hopefully that will show a fault. I just hope it is not one of those intermittent issues that doesn;t show up, where the garage tell you that it is the ABS unit, change it and I think it is all ok until a few days/weeks down the line I get the same problem. I shall also contact Audi about the recall and see if the car qualifies!!

Many thanks.

Funny this thread is here, mine to has started doing this round shallow corners. No ESP light, but it feels like its Aquaplaning or something similar, steering goes light.

Let me know if it qualifies for the re-call, mine is a Dec 2009 car, so a similar age.

Just called Audi Sheffield about the re-call and nothing is outstanding on my car at the moment.

Sounds similar to what I had... Has the car been in for a recall for the ABS unit? Audi/VW did a recall to replace software and ABS units last year.

Also, get the car scanned for errors/diagnose in case a wheel speed sensor is playing-up.

Hi Leshkin, Do you have any further info on the recall?

Hi LJA/ Leshkin, I haven't had a chance to check out the recall, if it was last year then certainly not had it done!! Had to pick my son up from Alicante airport this evening and was running late (as usual), so booting it a bit (110 - 120 mph most of the way there) and had the ESP light coming on consistently around both left and right curves, but fortunately expecting it so no problems. As you say, feels almost like aqua-planing.

Will keep you both posted when I find out what the problem is.

I'd avoid doing high speeds until you can get this investigated and resdolved. Sounds incredibly dangerous and not only for you personally, but anyone unfortunate enough to get wiped out by you.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Just checked the Driver and Vehicle Standards web-site for Audi A3 recalls and there was one in June last year for vehicles manufactured up to May 2009 for an interrupted earth on the ABS/ESP system, so it doesn't look as though I'm going to be able to try that one to cut costs!! Surely the damn thing can just be turned off? I've managed without it for the last 50 years!!

Hi LJA/ Leshkin, I haven't had a chance to check out the recall, if it was last year then certainly not had it done!! Had to pick my son up from Alicante airport this evening and was running late (as usual), so booting it a bit (110 - 120 mph most of the way there) and had the ESP light coming on consistently around both left and right curves, but fortunately expecting it so no problems. As you say, feels almost like aqua-planing.

Will keep you both posted when I find out what the problem is.

Hi Philip,
I’ve been looking into this and I think we’re seeing symptoms of what this recall should have fixed.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...88025814400487ACF&freeText=Blank&tx=0.6131403

Mine was registered in Dec 2009 and you said yours was a 10 plate, so ‘officially’ there is no recall on our cars? Surely this has to be the issue?

I wonder if we showed Audi this and said our cars just aren’t meeting the requirements that we could sway them.
Surely our cars could have been built in this period and just not registered until later.
Previously working for a main dealer this happened all the time?

Hi LJA, it could be, but I have seen comments about speed sensors, pressure valves etc, so until I get some diagnostics next week I won't know the exact problem. They say the earth problem was on cars manufactured prior to ours so I assume that it was allcorrected in production before the recall on earlier cars?

I will keep you informed.

Hi LJA, it could be, but I have seen comments about speed sensors, pressure valves etc, so until I get some diagnostics next week I won't know the exact problem. They say the earth problem was on cars manufactured prior to ours so I assume that it was allcorrected in production before the recall on earlier cars?

I will keep you informed.
That is true, heard lots on ABS sensors too! Do you have any warning lights on the dash? I currently have brake pad warning light, but my pads aren’t low at all, which is confusing. Going to try and link mine up with Vag Com this coming week. I’m hoping for a Speed/ABS Sensor to be faulty as its a cheap and easy fix, butwith no ABS/ESP light on, im worried. Let me know if you discover anything and like wise this side.

Will do. No warning lights except when the ESP kicks in going round a curve. I hope you're right about the sensors being a relatively cheap fix if that is the problem.
Hi Philip,
Just checking in to see if you managed to find a fix for it yet?
Mine seems to have stopped since the warmer weather, and I'm wondering if mine is water in the sensor. I've ordered a Carista/App so hoping it could fault code scan my car and advise any further.