So staggered i had to share.......

Scotty75

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So the missus took the A3 in for a cam belt change at the beginning of the week and all went well. Although i did end up forking out for a brake fluid service and air-con service but hey ho. So, while the car was the i asked the missus to get Portsmouth Audi to quote us for repairs to minor damage as follows :

Stone chip to bonnet.
Small dent and couple of scratches to passenger door.
Privacy film tint on rear window damaged by a dealer sticker, film tint needs stripping off re-filming.

........ quote follows :

Audiquote

I can only assume they must be quoting to fully re-spray the door and bonnet and completely replacing the rear window. Either way that quote sounds ludicrous . Ive been quoted £100 to strip and re-tint the rear window and as for the scratches and stone chip , the local mobile cosmetic repair company quoted £200.

Im sure Portsmouth Audi would do a stellar job but seriously......... talk about out pricing yourself. I have sent an email asking them to explain the extent of the repairs , their response should be interesting.

Reactions: Audib5fan and Rolly12
Sounds about right...
Don't think they're interested in taking on this type of work for the private individual.
I had quite a noticeable chip in my bonnet.
Ended up getting the whole bonnet resprayed at a local body shop for £150.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty75
So the missus took the A3 in for a cam belt change at the beginning of the week and all went well. Although i did end up forking out for a brake fluid service and air-con service but hey ho. So, while the car was the i asked the missus to get Portsmouth Audi to quote us for repairs to minor damage as follows :

Stone chip to bonnet.
Privacy film tint on rear window damaged by a dealer sticker, film tint needs stripping off re-filming.

........ quote follows :

View attachment 159254

I can only assume they must be quoting to fully re-spray the door and bonnet and completely replacing the rear window. Either way that quote sounds ludicrous . Ive been quoted £100 to strip and re-tint the rear window and as for the scratches and stone chip , the local mobile cosmetic repair company quoted £200.

Im sure Portsmouth Audi would do a stellar job but seriously......... talk about out pricing yourself. I have sent an email asking them to explain the extent of the repairs , their response should be interesting.

Very expensive. I doubt Portsmouth Audi have a paint/body shop. It is very likely they have an approved repairer who they will send the car to. I'd rather find out and contact the body shop directly or find an alternative. I am sure there will be some other better body shops in / around Portsmouth. I have found the 'approved repairers' to be equally bad as the stealerships. Only one experience so far but it was very bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scotty75 and Jassyo06
I'd ask around family/friends etc if I were you - I value personal recommendations more than anything.
Luckily the bodyshop I used is owned by a mate so was confident of a good job.

Mike

Yep - as above jassy - I know the bodyshop owner.. :thumbs up:
Very nifty l have 2 bad chips on the bonnet of my car, it's even painful just talking about in this post lol as l tend to ignore it.. .. When l look at the car
But paranoid about putting it into a bodyshop for obvious reasons ie exact colour matching, over spray on to other parts of the car and also quality of work ie the clear coat how many layers are applied . .. Bodyshop clear coat can be of poor quality ie very thin and also very soft, l have 250 mls of custom made paint and one of them cornel paint pens going to give this a try and see how it turns out

Reactions: V6_Man
I know what you mean, once you've seen a scratch/chip you cant unsee it...
Had a go at a couple of chips on mine yesterday.
Used tooth picks to try and get into the chips with the paint but I dont have much patience so gave up in the end.
And there's always more than you think - I'll probs just wait and get the relevant panels resprayed in the future...

Mike

Reactions: Jassyo06
I know what you mean, once you've seen a scratch/chip you cant unsee it...
Had a go at a couple of chips on mine yesterday.
Used tooth picks to try and get into the chips with the paint but I dont have much patience so gave up in the end.
And there's always more than you think - I'll probs just wait and get the relevant panels resprayed in the future...

Mike
My sons dealership has a bodyshop so if l decide to go ahead with the bonnet respray think they would do a good job and at a reasonable price, plus there's no point of getting it resprayed and not get ppf done l will ask him, l suppose they can detach the bonnet and respray it ... So the rest of the car would be safe from over spray

Reactions: V6_Man and mikep99
Yep, they took my bonnet off.
They were happy when then realised it was aluminium rather than steel. Bit lighter for them to carry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sounds like im just being a tight git then.........

To be fair if the damage was severe enough ie; more scratches or larger dent then id be more inclined to go for it. For now im just going to use the local mobile guy, get the touch ups done. He guarantee's his work too. Fingers crossed.

My sons dealership has a bodyshop so if l decide to go ahead with the bonnet respray think they would do a good job and at a reasonable price, plus there's no point of getting it resprayed and not get ppf done l will ask him, l suppose they can detach the bonnet and respray it ... So the rest of the car would be safe from over spray

I have between 4-6 on the front bumper, disadvantages of getting a car from up North. And based on my previous experience of two body shops in Oxford I am a bit hesitant in getting it resprayed. The option of removing the panel etc and painting is a good one my only concern will be paint match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you buy an audi you pay for silly prices for a 'easy to do job'

why do people complain and moan when they get a £25K + car and to not get offended when a service or goes in for an oil change.
You pay for a premium brand and pay premium prices.

Go get a Kia.

Reactions: Ormesome
why do people complain and moan when they get a £25K + car and to not get offended when a service or goes in for an oil change
Add 10k onto that but I still get offended at the prices. :anguished:
I think the quote is bordering on extortionate....but can't believe the rear window part of £362 is simply for putting new tinting film on. :flushed:

Reactions: S32B

why do people complain and moan when they get a £25K + car and to not get offended when a service or goes in for an oil change.

Go get a Kia.
So you think 468 quid is reasonable for a stonechip ? Premium or not, that's ridiculous...... Oh and poke the Kia where the sun doesn't shine.....

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: S32B, NevMan and Ron240
There are stone chips and there are stone chips. Some can be large and not easy to repair and may require a respray for a fussy individual like myself. For a minor stone chip I mix 75% base coat and 25% clear coat together and apply with an artist paint brush that can apply about a 1 mm dob of paint and build it up with a few applications. Not perfect but not a bad result. The reason I mix the base coat/clear coat together is that clear coat is pita to apply to small chips as it is very runny liquid and tends to overflow the chip area and really attracts your eye to the repair.

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75

Go get a Kia.
But when you get ripped off for an oil change, its not a premium oil change.. its an oil change. But of course you are paying for Audis own technician time, fancy showroom etc.

Stone chip to bonnet.

........ quote follows :

View attachment 159254

lol best part of £1,500 it would be cheaper to change the car! :D

Go get a Kia.

Mostly cos they aren't paying that mate! They are paying a few hundred a month via PCP. Having said this, that quote via Audi is over priced, but then did anyone expect any less?

Stone chip to bonnet.

Depending on depth and damage it may need a full respray but a lot of companies now offer "smart repair" which do very good work in small areas.

Dents are usually £30-40 a panel from a private dent company

Scratches - can you put a finger nail to them? Would they buff out? I would be going to a detail to see if they can at least take the worst away.

Tints - it cost me £160 to get 5 windows tinted on my Q5, I would assume £40 to sort your rear window.

You'd be insane to take Audi up on their offer.

Reactions: NevMan and Scotty75

Go get a Kia.

Not always just the premium brands that rip you off! I was talking to a nurse in work the other day, she said her Mokka needs to go in for its first service, they have quoted £240!!! I paid less than that for that for the S3's first service from an Audi main dealership!

Servicing and after care is where main dealers make the majority of their profits, not through the sale of new cars like most people might assume.

Reactions: Ssteve and Jcbmally
As a non native english speaker I was 100% sure OP would have posted an image similar to the one below - guess I was wrong :boxing: (And now I know staggered has to meanings!)

Sorry for OT

Staggered