Facelift Down shift vs. pops and bangs

Bonstio

Reaction score
It seems there are several methods of downshifting and some produce satisfying acoustics whereas others do not.

1 Manual mode, downshift via gear stick or paddle
2 Switching back to Auto / Sport mode at low speed (e.g. if in 3rd, gear box shifts you to 2nd)
a Switch back from manual back to auto
b Switch from D to S
3 - Remaining in Auto / S and having the gearbox downshift for you

In my experience, 1 never kicks out a DSG fart and 3 nearly always does. 2 has mixed results.

Is this the same for others? Why does 1 not cut it? I welcome DSG farts and want more...

I find sometimes I get very little noise on downshifts in manual yet always in S auto.
I do think it depends on exhaust temperature cause if I’ve driven it hard even in manual will create very similar noise to auto.
I drive it fairly gentle this week in dynamic manual and it hardly made any noise until the last day after a spirited run the acoustics returned.

Depends on the temperatures, But if I go from dynamic into S, and then into manual, I get burbles on every downshift, and big pops from 3rd to 2nd to first almost always.
I do get them in Dynamic and S (auto) mode too, but far less dramatic.

If you're in Dynamic-S, accelerating fairly hard whilst in 3rd and then braking sharply to go down into 2nd produces some asbo-worthy pops and bangs. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Bonstio
There’s a fantastic crack or bark of the exhaust in manual dynamic between 2 - 3 high rpm change

Youre all POP, BANG, CRACK crazy, its like Batman from the sixties, if youre under 50 you wont know what I mean

Reactions: Marshy
Especially scarring pedestrians, I know this is wrong but it’s the little boy In me that finds it hilarious.

Reactions: zaka7, Callump01, Marshy and 1 other person
Love this !!!! I can get nice nice bangs downshifting in any gear from 3k revs. For example rev upto 3k in 3rd let off the throttle completely and downshift into 2nd. Works everytime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a go in a PFL with sports exhaust. Proper pops and bangs.

Reactions: DW81
Manual downshift 3 to 2 always gets a good noise - perhaps you are downshifting too late? Needs to be about 25mph

I think this is the beauty of the FL RS3, you never know when you'll get a loud pop and bangs.. in S and dynamic is where more likely you'll hear it. But it varies on how hard you drove the car/temperature etc..

Been doing a lot of manual driving recently, with the windows down obviously!, and it's great way of getting the best sounds out of the FL exhaust.

Down shifting at the right revs is epic 3rd to 2nd to 1st and then upshifting the other way awesome, it's becoming a real head turner.

Very happy with the FL sports exhaust.

Reactions: FBF01 and monopole
I didn't hear my car pop or bang once in the 1500 odd miles it was on, just low burbles..... until last Tuesday.

Glad it isn't at all like the PFL, the car has power yet sounds and looks so understating for an 11.3 second car hahaha

Reactions: T-800