Alloy wheels lacquer flaking off?

Wing Lun

A3 Sportback
Reaction score
I bought my used Audi A3 Sportback 2015 just over a month ago, and I've realised the alloys are "flaking off. The salesman did say before that the wheels were really damaged and kerbed, and they had to "fix" this.

Well, not having my car for a long period of time, and the paint is flaking off, so I can tell this has been a s*** paint job from their dealership. I sometimes I want to use those hard wire wheel brushes, but it might make it worse.

Any suggestions please? Will refurbishing the alloys be the ideal choice, and if this is the case how much am I looking at?

IMG 20180705 082344

IMG 20180705 082357

If they've refurbished the wheels and they've only lasted a month, I'd be taking it back and negotiating getting the wheels refurbed at a place of your choice at their expense.

And normally refurbs (for just the face) are from about £60 a wheel.

Yep, take it the f@ck back.

Reactions: Scotty75
I agree with the above advice. But you say that you “sometimes use hard wire wheel brushes”. I think the concensus on this forum would be - don’t you dare do that - :scared2:

Reactions: Scotty75 and Flying Scotsman
Wire. ... On wheels...... You better hope @jassyo06 doesn't hear about it lol. seriously though don't be doing that and definitely go back to the dealer. That's really shoddy work.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Take it straight back and say they are to sort it properly and you require a courtesy car while it is in.
That's a proper S£$%E job.

Shoddy job, but even the best job won’t survive a wire brush. Do you use an acidic wheel cleaner? If so that’s another no no

Did the same outfit do that job on the rear bumper as well? If it looks like that in the flesh I'm surprised you accepted it.

Did the same outfit do that job on the rear bumper as well? If it looks like that in the flesh I'm surprised you accepted it.
It must be the reflection from the sun which made the bumper looked strange, but there's no issue with the bumper in flesh. Good attention to detail though ha :icon thumright:

Take it straight back and say they are to sort it properly and you require a courtesy car while it is in.
That's a proper S£$%E job.
Rang them up last week, and finally managed to time to sort it out. I''ve never had this problem before, thanks man :thumbs up: