CAT D

Leevr

Reaction score
itching to get back to owning an RS3. had an 8P prior to my S3 8V. only thing is going back to an 8P from the 8V interior wise im not sure i could do it. Unfortunately 8V RS's are somewhat expensive with decent low milage and good spec. I've come across a CAT D which states light panel damage with replacement genuine Audi parts used. I know never trust a dealer, but it's at a very keen price. just interested in peoples thoughts on CAT D ownership and eventual resale issues.

Personally I wouldn't, but that's just me. But if you are happy with a Cat-D car, then go for it.

But just because you are happy with a Cat-D, doesn't mean others will be. So come time to sell, you `may` have trouble selling. Doubt a dealer would take a Cat-D as part-ex either. You could be stuck with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeParkin, Jassyo06 and Leevr
Curb the itch and continue saving for the car you'd really want

Reactions: RK10, MikeParkin, V6_Man and 1 other person
CAT D is a bit like dating a girl and on the 2nd date she says that she used to have some STDs but she's all cured now. You've only got her word for it and you'll never REALLY know what happened. Avoid.

Reactions: Kayobong, RK10, AudiNutta and 11 others
Scour the auctions for seized drug dealer cars, they go really cheap. Smart repairs can do wonders with bullet holes these days and you can't really see blood stains on a black leather interior. At least it'll drive in a straight line and handling won't be as interesting or unpredictable as something that's had the chassis pulled back into shape.
Just hope the massiv haven't fitted a tracker and don't come round to "reclaim" it.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Jassyo06, SamR92 and 2 others
Scour the auctions for seized drug dealer cars, they go really cheap. Smart repairs can do wonders with bullet holes these days and you can't really see blood stains on a black leather interior.

Cat D - Category Drug-Dealer 'Demo' Car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jassyo06
The clincher is definitely resale value. My father in-law bought a Merc, not knowing it was Cat D...... Till he tried to PX it. Dealer wasnt interested, at sensible money anyway.

On the other hand if you keep it long term, make it a project and modify it etc then resale isn't an issue.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and MikeParkin
Could always get an independent inspection carried out to see what has or hasn't been done.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I'd avoid - Being an insurance broker insurers nearly always ask for an independent engineers report and like the others have said resale value can be a real issue

im getting the general consensus that a CAT car is a big NO! suppose ill keep saving and hopefully get a straight one soon. might tell the misses no more holidays and see where that gets me. thanks for all the input.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Sandra, V6_Man and 2 others
Cat D only means uneconomical to fix.
A 10 year old car worth £1000 may be written off due a dented front wing and cracked headlamp - so worth buying for yourself and putting back on the road.
A 30k RS3 will have suffered serious damage with an estimated bill exceeding £15k to repair properly. These are then usually sold on to back street bodgers to tart up as cheeply as possible and sell on for profit. - Pretty much guaranteed that you can expect an inferior car with plenty of faults and problems finding a buyer that will touch it when you want to sell.

im getting the general consensus that a CAT car is a big NO! suppose ill keep saving and hopefully get a straight one soon. might tell the misses no more holidays and see where that gets me. thanks for all the input.
I think I can safely say if you say no more holidays you be in the bad books for a very long time.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jcbmally, V6_Man and 1 other person
As Matt says, an RS3 isn't a cheap car so it's going to have been a decent bit of damage I bet. I know Audi parts and astronomical but it'd take a fair value to still write one off even as a CAT D.

Reactions: Scotty75
The only way I'd buy a CAT D is if I was going to keep the car for a very long time and run it into the ground and not sell it on!

i've bought a cat N (new D). By the time its finished i will have saved between £3000 to £4000 on buying undamaged. I agree with above, if like me you keep your car for say 6+ years it can make sense but not if you change regularly.

The categories have now been changed, so C & D are now S & N. Cat S is structural damage (chassis etc), Cat N is non-structural, meaning it's purely cosmetic so no safety compromises. The trouble with a previous cat D on the old system is that you have no way of knowing whether there was structural damage or not, it was based purely on costs. However those costs include brand new main dealer parts and top quality bodyshop labour etc, even includes the courtesy car while in for repair and admin fees so the costs are way higher for the insurance assessment than they ever would be for us.

I've recently bought a Cat N car for a lot less than the pre-write off value, was only very minor front bumper and headlight damage, didn't even break the radiator! It'll definitely be harder to sell when the time comes, but for the price I paid and the length of time I'm expecting to keep it, it won't matter.

I wouldn't say it's as simple as avoiding any written off car, depends on each individual car and situation. :)

Reactions: richinsoton and Jassyo06
the costs are way higher for the insurance assessment than they ever would be for us.

Have to disagree with that, I dealt with insurance claims in my last job, of the 2 insurers I dealt with, one paid the body shops between £26 and £28 per hour for insurance work and the other £34 per hour, one of whom I know charges at least £45 per hour for private work. As for the courtesy car, I dealt with a lot of non fault claims which were put into hire cars which weren't taken into account in any way when it came to the repair cost. The company I worked for looked at the repair cost only to decide on whether the car was repairable or a total loss :icon thumright:

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance for a cat C written off vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. The majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with these vehicles and do require any additional engineers report.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance for a cat C written off vehicle then please feel free to drop me a line. The majority of our insurance schemes have no issues with these vehicles and do require any additional engineers report.
Regards,
Dan.
Thread is about at Cat D...

Reactions: MikeParkin and richinsoton
Hi,
Regards,
Dan.
I called your line twice for quotes and never received a call back.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Hi.
I'm sorry to hear this. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi.
I'm sorry to hear this. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll contact you at next renewal.

ADMIN,

Why was my post deleted? Say inappropriate comments. Not sure what I've said apart from I personally wouldn't buy a CAT-D car.