Buying an S4 consideration

Sharpz44

Reaction score
Hi,new to the forum, I am in the process of trying to find an S4 in Uk,looking to get a B8.5 ,not many for sale for my 18ishK budget ,anyway what should I look for when viewing apart from service history,I have seen threads about the mechotronic unit issues,is this very common, this made me look at 2009 manuals but there a bit old to be honest and want one with flat bottom sterling wheel,S4 gear knob and Band O sound ,also I work offshore on rigs for half the year 3weeks on and off so only do around 3k miles per year,I did look at 3.0 tdi but decided on S4 as seems more fun. Any help for any known possible issues would be appreciated
Thanks

Hi,new to the forum, I am in the process of trying to find an S4 in Uk,looking to get a B8.5 ,not many for sale for my 18ishK budget ,anyway what should I look for when viewing apart from service history,I have seen threads about the mechotronic unit issues,is this very common, this made me look at 2009 manuals but there a bit old to be honest and want one with flat bottom sterling wheel,S4 gear knob and Band O sound ,also I work offshore on rigs for half the year 3weeks on and off so only do around 3k miles per year,I did look at 3.0 tdi but decided on S4 as seems more fun. Any help for any known possible issues would be appreciated
Thanks

:sign welcome:

Have a look in the classifieds, Audi cars for sale. S4 Avant 2015 model for sale in there.

JG

Thank you and will look at them,really want one now as had my bmw 10 years and it’s done very well as I’ve maintained it,started with 48k on clock and now has 79k.lol hence low mileage user...cheers

Reactions: V6_Man
Thank you and will look at them,really want one now as had my bmw 10 years and it’s done very well as I’ve maintained it,started with 48k on clock and now has 79k.lol hence low mileage user...cheers

Mech failure was more common on B8 PFL models than B8.5s. That's not to say that B8.5 didn't have any issues at all. However, most of the Mech issues reported on B8.5s are from US and it is because they abuse their cars a lot.

Quite a few, again mainly in US have reported CAT failure on theirs including excessive oil consumption (PCV Valve). These are more common on B8s rather than B8.5s - see some discussions in the below thread.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s4-3-0t-oil-consumption.301059/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS5 JON and Sharpz44
Get yourself on the S4 owners group on facebook. Sure I saw a B8.5 saloon for around £18k recently

Reactions: V6_Man
Finding the right one for the right money is difficult.

Options really bump up the price so decide which options you can't do without.

I got a black edition as it represented the best value for money and I wasn't bothered about any of extra options although sport seats would have been nice.

Took me a year to find the right one.

Finding the right one for the right money is difficult.

Options really bump up the price so decide which options you can't do without.

I got a black edition as it represented the best value for money and I wasn't bothered about any of extra options although sport seats would have been nice.

Took me a year to find the right one.
Thanks chap,I’m going to wait for the right one as I’m in no rush ,the BM still runs great so hopefully in time one will come along,kinda hoping to see one when the reg changes take place,bet the S4 is great to drive ,not tried one yet but here great reports
Cheers